Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 05:38 PM

684 posts, read 1,185,571 times

Advertisements

Attractive people get promoted faster and earn more money than un-attractive people. I guess you could replace attractive with a race, physically taller people, technically smarter people, or whatnot.

But if you had to pick between attractive, smart, or hard-working, what would be best? Answer: Being white and male.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:57 PM

422 posts, read 486,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
It isn't a race thing as much as a class thing. People who are perceived as well off are deemed as having a better upbringing, more responsible parents and, as a result, a better education. Having a "unique" name, regardless of the ethnic background, are perceived as being from a low income environment and are less likely to have skills that would be useful in a business environment and more likely to accustomed to crime, rude manners and a bad attitude towards life. (Like thinking everyone is against them)

Having a "unique" name sets a bad tone for the entire employment process because these connotations are already present in the employer's mind.

Racial disparities are well documented in work place and hiring process. A study found that whites with a felony conviction fared just as well, if not better, than a black applicant with a clean background and college education. White applicants were more than twice as likely to be offered the job relative to equally qualified black applicants. Being black in America today is just about the same as having a felony conviction in terms of one’s chances of finding a job. So please explain what is it other than racial prejudices when white felons have a better shot at employment than college educated blacks with no criminal record.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:13 PM

Why do blacks earn a lower wage than their white counterparts (particularly white men) at a comparable job that demands a comparable skill level? Same job, same skills, similar lengths of employment yet different pay. Explain how that's a class and name issue...

Old 05-29-2012, 06:27 PM

I believe the one I read was from Princeton University. But the fact of the matter is it doesn't matter what a black person's name or qualifications are, a white felon has a better shot at employment. And in the event a black person is hired you're not going to earn the same as the white guy doing the same job.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
Since you responded like that I'm assuming you're helping to solve this issue. I wish you luck since this is an important topic and seemingly the only one you have enough interest with to post about.
Ok...

Old 05-29-2012, 10:40 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,467,794 times
I vote for this thread to be closed. The discussion has turned into a debate about racial hiring practices, and only applies to Greenville because it is a city with companies.

Plus, the original poster attempted to paint Greenville as a bad city for minorities, which is ridiculous.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Grayce View Post
I believe it has more to do with steretypes than anything. Let's say you hired a black employee and he/she spit in your customers tea. Would you be willing to hire another black person?

I wouldn't hire a person with poor grammar, it screams ignorance. I also wouldn't hire anyone that shows up with a cell phone in their hand, a cell phone that rings during any part of the interview, a person with any visible tattoo's or facial piercings.

1. What does the poor actions of one individual have to do with another individual? 2. As far as grammar, those in glass houses...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area