Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 08:29 PM

113 posts, read 244,876 times

Advertisements

Considering a move back downtown after a few years in Simpsonville. Moved here from PA a few years ago. Looking at N Main or Augusta Road...is one considered nicer, more desirable than the other? Are the schools in each location ok? Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 05:15 AM

807 posts, read 1,784,882 times
Everyone I know loves the schools, hence the prices of homes! You have to pay for the location and the schools. I am not seeing the homes stay on the market very long there and they are bringing good prices, but they always have. I think there is a lot of parent involvement in the schools as well. Awesome area!

Old 05-26-2012, 07:30 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,609,176 times
If public schools (elementary) are a concern, I recommend not buying in the Augusta Road area as most residents go to Blythe Academy (but a few to Augusta Circle). For most of the North Main area, elementary students there go to Stone - just a better school than Blythe (my opinion only).

I firmly believe, however, that the Parkins Mill area is offers better overall public schools than both Augusta Road and North Main. Parkins Mill residents have access Sara Collins/Beck/JL Mann which, IMO, are a step above (in quality) compared to Blythe/Hughes/Greenville High. Additionally, the Parkins Mill area may get a new middle school for 2014 (Beck is probably the "weakest" of our three zoned schools).

Now, if you can afford private schools, forget what I mentioned above - it doesn't matter.

Just like you, I moved to Simpsonville (from out-of-state) 3 years ago - didn't really like it and my focus was always on downtown Greenville. I've moved inside the city limits of Greenville and am much happier - my drive time to downtown is a little over 5 minutes.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:46 PM

Thanks. What about from a non school perspective? The niceness of each area, homes etc.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:40 PM

Default Anyone?

Please?

Old 05-30-2012, 05:49 AM

170 posts, read 355,922 times
I have lived in both areas and currently live in the North Main area. I like it better. I really don't know why. North Main just seems a little less conjested, more affordable and Stone Avenue looks like it is now beginning to develop some shopping and resturants like Augusta has now. If someone was giving me the choice of a big ole house on Crescent/McDaniel or North Main/Earle I'd take the one on North Main/Earle. Not much help I realize, but that's my feeling.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:43 AM

807 posts, read 1,784,882 times
I love the charm and character of North Main. Augusta Rd. has always seemed too congested for me as well. Most of the areas around are very nice but of course I have no need for a large house either.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:37 AM

298 posts, read 687,161 times
We looked at the Augusta Road area when we 1st came to Greenville in 2006.

From our perspective, the Augusta Road area was overpriced for what you got in housing. Whilst the 1930s bungalo style homes were 'cute' and with heavy investment in upgrades could be made to have terrific curb appeal, the value proposition just was not there. Factor in even more for some of the larger homes but regardless, the formula just didn't make sense to us.

Additionally, we were not fond of the commercial corridor and other conditions in the Augusta Road Area from the I-85 exit through to it's intersection with Main Street at the West End. It was not an area that the wife was going to walk the dog at night.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:05 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree930 View Post
It was not an area that the wife was going to walk the dog at night.
Were you looking at buying on Potomac Avenue or living at Scott Towers? There's not many seedy areas in between those two extreme ends on the corridor.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:19 AM

298 posts, read 687,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
Were you looking at buying on Potomac Avenue or living at Scott Towers? There's not many seedy areas in between those two extreme ends on the corridor.
McDaniel, Jones, Crescent Ave area. Your threshold definition for sketchy areas may be different from ours. Bottom line, we did not like the Augusta Road commercial corridor. We have friends in the area, they love it. For us? Not so much.

Plus as a minor annoyance, that whole area has a neighborhood tradition of piling yard waste at curbside. I mean really? Those streets are narrow enough and you are going to leave a trash pile in front of your home for how long waiting for the pickup?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area