U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-26-2012, 10:42 AM
 
2,305 posts, read 3,272,414 times
Reputation: 1744

Advertisements

I got up this morning to get my jog in before it got too hot. It was about 7:30am and I saw this bicyclist stopped on the corner of a road snapping pics. I thought he was taking pics of an open country field. I looked up and there were tons of colorful gorgeous hot air balloons all in the sky. It was beautiful.

I thought I'd go up on the hill a ways up and get an even closer look and snap a pic. Those things go faster than I thought because by the time I got there, the balloons were behind the trees. Darn it all.

It was so funny because I went through this one neighborhood and people were out getting their paper or watering grass or just exercising and people were all looking at the sky in awe.

I'm going to try again tomorrow and take my camera with me.

Anyone have any pics of the balloons to share and post?


Last edited by diddlydudette; 05-26-2012 at 11:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-26-2012, 10:52 AM
 
876 posts, read 1,216,079 times
Reputation: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
I got up this morning to get my jog in before it got too hot. It was about 7:30am and I saw this bicyclist stopped on the corner of a road snapping pics. I thought he was taking pics of an open country field. I looked up and there were tons of colorful gorgeous hot air balloons all in the sky. It was beautiful.

I thought I'd go up on the hill a ways up and get an even closer look and snap a pic. Those things go faster than I thought because by the time I got there, the balloons were below the trees. Darn it all.

It was so funny because I went through this one neighborhood and people were out getting their paper or watering grass or just exercising and people were all looking at the sky in awe.

I'm going to try again tomorrow and take my camera with me.

Anyone have any pics of the balloons to share and post?
I'm going later today... I've never been but can you see the balloons throughout the day? Also, they say there's a "hot air balloon launch window" on their schedule from 6-8pm each day. Does anyone know what that exactly is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2012, 11:24 AM
 
287 posts, read 546,378 times
Reputation: 337
Depending on wind conditions they will launch between 6 and 8 each evening. The launch window refers to time remaining before sunset plus the lowest wind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2012, 11:31 AM
 
876 posts, read 1,216,079 times
Reputation: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree930 View Post
Depending on wind conditions they will launch between 6 and 8 each evening. The launch window refers to time remaining before sunset plus the lowest wind.
Thanks sounds cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2012, 12:25 PM
 
2,305 posts, read 3,272,414 times
Reputation: 1744
Looks like from the website that they fly 7am-9am also. If you are in the Simpsonville area you can probably look to the sky and see them flying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2012, 05:36 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, Ga
1,861 posts, read 1,814,667 times
Reputation: 1340
I miss it being in Anderson...why did it ever leave?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2012, 07:22 AM
 
115 posts, read 217,666 times
Reputation: 113
They landed in our neighborhood last night because of the wind, it was pretty cool to help them roll up the ballons!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2012, 07:40 AM
 
2,305 posts, read 3,272,414 times
Reputation: 1744
Quote:
Originally Posted by bones06 View Post
They landed in our neighborhood last night because of the wind, it was pretty cool to help them roll up the ballons!
Wow. Very cool.

I wanted to go out this morning to see them, but I didn't make it. I'm going to try for tomorrow instead. I walked outside this morning and the wind was blowing so I wondered if they even went up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2012, 10:29 AM
 
126 posts, read 174,043 times
Reputation: 74
Friday around 8pm the balloons swarmed over my neighborhood in Neely Forrest next to Plain Elementary. One landed on the street next to ours. My wife and i were at the movies so we missed it but my mom and daughter loved it as did the rest of the neighborhood.

On Saturday same time, one balloon landed IN OUR FRONT YARD! And yet again we missed it because we were at FWA watching the balloons launch. The hilarious thing is that we were like 50 ft away from this one balloon inflating and it just so happened that THAT was the balloon that landed in our yard.

We arrived home just in time to see the chase vehicle leave with the packed up balloon and that's when my wife recognized the vehicle from the vehicle next to where we were taking pictures. If anyone wants to see our pictures do a Facebook search on Julia Andy Barner, the pictures should be public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2012, 12:34 PM
 
2,305 posts, read 3,272,414 times
Reputation: 1744
Quote:
Originally Posted by roozle1976 View Post
Friday around 8pm the balloons swarmed over my neighborhood in Neely Forrest next to Plain Elementary. One landed on the street next to ours. My wife and i were at the movies so we missed it but my mom and daughter loved it as did the rest of the neighborhood.

On Saturday same time, one balloon landed IN OUR FRONT YARD! And yet again we missed it because we were at FWA watching the balloons launch. The hilarious thing is that we were like 50 ft away from this one balloon inflating and it just so happened that THAT was the balloon that landed in our yard.

We arrived home just in time to see the chase vehicle leave with the packed up balloon and that's when my wife recognized the vehicle from the vehicle next to where we were taking pictures. If anyone wants to see our pictures do a Facebook search on Julia Andy Barner, the pictures should be public.
That is hilarious. What are the chances of that happening? Y'all were at FWA and all the while, FWA was at your front door.

Great pics. Thanks for sharing. Looks like your cute little girl had a great time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top