Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 03:42 PM

170 posts, read 878,400 times

Advertisements

Which would you choose and why ? Which place do you feel has the lowest crime, best quality of life, and is not on the runaway train to bein over developed?

Still trying to figure this out !

Thanks,
Fallgirl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 04:18 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,378,718 times
Anderson is easily the largest of these places, followed by Simpsonville and finally Travelers Rest. The growth rate is also higher in both Anderson and Simpsonville. I would definitely choose a location somewhere near TR if you prefer slower growth. Simpsonville is developing like nobody's business. Anderson is becoming a more prominent city as it begins to try and dominate its county and with this comes the expected outward sprawl. Have you considered any other locations and what criteria helped you make these choices? I am only asking out of curiosity.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:24 PM

Skyliner,
As I have said in other posts, this was our fourth visit to the Greenville area. At this point I am feeling very confused. I like Travelers Rest because you can see the mountains pretty much from anywhere in the town, but it just may be a little small townish for me now. Simpsonville, very spread out, Woodruff Rd. a little crazy, and the exits at the far end a little too rural. So we went to Anderson to check it out. It seemed like a nice city/town we did not have time to check out the lakes and know very little about it. We keep taking 3-4 day trips and driving around so that we can get to know the area. We are only basing these trips on what others tell us about certain towns, and what we see. As I have said we are looking for good quality of life, low crime, and affordable housing. What scares me is what could seem to be an explosion of growth. I don't want to move to another state to only have to move 10 years from now when things get too crowded.

Fallgirl

Old 09-22-2007, 05:27 AM

745 posts, read 2,233,003 times
Our choice was Traveler's Rest (We bought land there) because of the rural nature and natural beauty (mountains and hills). From the center of our property you can't see the neighbors, even in the winter! We are becoming empty nesters soon, and have little need for shopping malls and restaurants. Both of us need to be near a city for work, but wanted a rural lifestyle after 27 years in tightly congested west central FL. Everyone has different needs, as ours have changed over the years. Think about what you want and need, and see how each area stacks up.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:59 AM

Talking Hard to narrow it down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Anderson is easily the largest of these places, followed by Simpsonville and finally Travelers Rest. The growth rate is also higher in both Anderson and Simpsonville. I would definitely choose a location somewhere near TR if you prefer slower growth. Simpsonville is developing like nobody's business. Anderson is becoming a more prominent city as it begins to try and dominate its county and with this comes the expected outward sprawl. Have you considered any other locations and what criteria helped you make these choices? I am only asking out of curiosity.

Thanks Skyliner and other who answered. We are looking for a place with low crime, moderate cost of living, acess to a major airport (need to get to my parents in NY) and opportunity for employment, and change of seasons. It is just too difficult to make a few trips here and there and decide that "this is it". Two people that I work with come from the area - one from Greenville the other from Travelers Rest/Hendersonville, that is how I found about the general area. It is beautiful but since I only know of what I see when I am there or read here that is really all that I know.

Thanks,
Fallgirl

Old 09-26-2007, 02:38 PM

18 posts, read 49,466 times
fallgirl-
wanted to get your opinion since you've just visited.
we've visited and highlghted areas on a huge gville map that we'd consider and those we would not, but never got to the anderson side of things. maily checked out gville, greer (hated), mauldin (liked), and trav's rest (seemed much too rural for us) thought some of sville was ok (south by rocky creek/harrison brdg rd). how far to mts from anderson? how would you characterize the difference bt anderson and s'ville?

Old 09-26-2007, 04:21 PM

Red face A lot to consider

Quote:
Originally Posted by theenglish View Post
fallgirl-
wanted to get your opinion since you've just visited.
we've visited and highlghted areas on a huge gville map that we'd consider and those we would not, but never got to the anderson side of things. maily checked out gville, greer (hated), mauldin (liked), and trav's rest (seemed much too rural for us) thought some of sville was ok (south by rocky creek/harrison brdg rd). how far to mts from anderson? how would you characterize the difference bt anderson and s'ville?
I would have to say that a lot depends on where you are coming from and what you expect out of where you are going. I am originally from Long Island, New York and now living in Florida. I like convenience. Where I live in Florida I am four miles to the nearest Jiffy store, and about six miles to the supermarket. I like the convenience of certain parts of Simpsonville even though I think Woodruff Rd. has crazy traffic, but that is okay. I had not really looked at Greer or Mauldin. I like the country feel of Travelers Rest and the fact that you can see the mountains pretty much every where. Anderson is about 20-30 minutes out and close to a very large lake which unfortunately I did not see. It is also a very nice town in its own right. I guess it depends on how close or far away from things, you want to be. That is only something you can figure out because it is different for every person.

Fallgirl

Old 09-26-2007, 07:01 PM

18 posts, read 49,466 times
actually, i'm also from LI and then FL. (ronkonkoma to st augustine). we want gas, food, and target/home depot within easy reach (at most 20 min), but not to the woodruff road degree. so, anderson is 30 min from mts, and how far from downtown gville would you say?

Old 09-26-2007, 07:34 PM

548 posts, read 1,980,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theenglish View Post
actually, i'm also from LI and then FL. (ronkonkoma to st augustine). we want gas, food, and target/home depot within easy reach (at most 20 min), but not to the woodruff road degree. so, anderson is 30 min from mts, and how far from downtown gville would you say?
If your serious about Greenville and want Target/grocery within easy reach look at the Eastside (I think it's area 22(maybe 21) on the maps). While actually not in a city we are close (within 10-15 min. of downtown, within 5-10 min of the airport and have easy access to 85/385. Eastside is in an area that is 10-15 min. from Woodruff but we are 10 min. tops to the Target on Rte 29 (Wade Hampton). The mall is about 10 min. away. While the Eastside is older than say Simpsonville there are a couple of new developments going in. The older developments range in prices from mid 100's to million dollars. I have 7 grocery stores within 10-15 mins of my house.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:06 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janrey View Post
If your serious about Greenville and want Target/grocery within easy reach look at the Eastside (I think it's area 22(maybe 21) on the maps). While actually not in a city we are close (within 10-15 min. of downtown, within 5-10 min of the airport and have easy access to 85/385. Eastside is in an area that is 10-15 min. from Woodruff but we are 10 min. tops to the Target on Rte 29 (Wade Hampton). The mall is about 10 min. away. While the Eastside is older than say Simpsonville there are a couple of new developments going in. The older developments range in prices from mid 100's to million dollars. I have 7 grocery stores within 10-15 mins of my house.
Being from Chicago I have felt the pain a Woodruff Rd can cause, but if you get out where you can sneak in the back roads, you don't have to wait in traffic. But all in all, compared to a Chicago traffic jam Woodruff Rd's traffic jam is nothing. Almost anywhere you choose to live here you will be within 10-15 mins away from anything you want to go to at some point. When you are visiting next, get caught in each city's rush hour and see if its really that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area