Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 01:16 PM

609 posts, read 1,620,032 times

Advertisements

Okay.

Mod Cut

We can talk about.... "Dominican Restaurants"........ "Irish Foods"....... etc.......... BUT...... People who want to know the ethnic challenges in the Upstate OR discuss it, can't have a post to share information with one another? ?

Lol what... a.... joke!

I'm sorry but for people who THINK they can understand the ethnic emotions and challenges, but are not from an ethnic background, WAKE UP and realize you can't speak for us, just like we can't speak for you.

This is the reason people are afraid to move to SC. It's so apparent and in the forward nature of this forum. A horrible representation of what my home city.

And to the guy who says... "oh Im Black and This is not true for us black people" LOL .. since when did you become the representation of every minority in the county? Sad you even feel that way but goes to show what a majorly false mind-state you are living in. You are one person, respect everyone's opinion.

The same I say to everyone else.

Mod Cut

And if you care to know my stats. I consider myself black but of a mixed heritage.

I have caucasion, african-american, native, and hispanic people in my family.

Mod Cut

Last edited by linicx; 06-10-2012 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: MAY NOT discuss moderator actions in forums!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 01:53 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
Concentrate on something other than racial stuff. It'll hold you back. It's a fact unless you are a politician. As you age you'll see differently. I was like that too. When I stopped things took off. Trying to help you.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:50 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojones View Post
Okay.

Mod cut

We can talk about.... "Dominican Restaurants"........ "Irish Foods"....... etc.......... BUT...... People who want to know the ethnic challenges in the Upstate OR discuss it, can't have a post to share information with one another? ?

Lol what... a.... joke!

I'm sorry but for people who THINK they can understand the ethnic emotions and challenges, but are not from an ethnic background, WAKE UP and realize you can't speak for us, just like we can't speak for you.

This is the reason people are afraid to move to SC. It's so apparent and in the forward nature of this forum. A horrible representation of what my home city.

And to the guy who says... "oh Im Black and This is not true for us black people" LOL .. since when did you become the representation of every minority in the county? Sad you even feel that way but goes to show what a majorly false mind-state you are living in. You are one person, respect everyone's opinion.

The same I say to everyone else.

Mod cut

And if you care to know my stats. I consider myself black but of a mixed heritage.

I have caucasion, african-american, native, and hispanic people in my family.

Mod Cut.
The real question is, how many times and from how many different angles are you going to continue to try to stir up the same sh*t in this forum?? We're tired of it, and apparently so are the mods.

I'd PM one of the mods with your concerns.

Last edited by linicx; 06-01-2012 at 04:35 AM..

Old 05-31-2012, 09:08 PM

128 posts, read 320,034 times
sojones,

A few weeks ago, when another person started a few threads about black people and jobs in Greenville, it got off track. The moderator deleted some posts, and wrote a post telling everyone that if they wanted to discuss racial issues in Greenville that they could start a new thread.

You did just that, sojones... and the thread was closed. The moderator lied. There's no other way to put it or look at it. Your thread was shut down because white people are "tired" of talking about race, and since there are no black moderators for this forum (and I haven't known of any black moderators on CD at all, actually) to help maintain fairness and balance, the white people are going to ALWAYS get their way.

Here's the truth of the matter: Until the Greenville-Spartanburg forum gets more black participants, nothing is going to change.

Here's some more truth... a few days ago, I let loose some of my frustrations with my fellow black locals on a thread here. I went "in" a little bit, a la pissed off Bill Cosby style. What I wrote were my true feelings, but what I wrote about most of the local blacks was also NEGATIVE AND CRITICAL.

Do you know how many reputation points I picked up? Quite a few! So, what does that tell you? It tells me that as long as we're writing things that reinforce the white people's own beliefs and experiences, we're okay. But, as SOON as we start talking about OUR OWN experiences, we get shot down. THEY can complain about "thugs" in Falls Park and downtown all day and all night. But, when WE step up to try to defend some of these unwarranted, ad hominem, blanket attacks against OUR CHILDREN, we're accused of "race baiting", "whining", and whatever else.

We need a moderator who who can set aside their own opinions/biases and be 100% fair. We also need to start telling local black people about this forum and getting them to join CD and become regular participants. I'm going to start spreading the word.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Concentrate on something other than racial stuff. It'll hold you back. It's a fact unless you are a politician. As you age you'll see differently. I was like that too. When I stopped things took off. Trying to help you.
Racial issues can't be solved without being discussed, and talking about it doesn't mean anyone is going to be held back. And, if anyone is held back because of it, that's on them. But, it's that person's choice.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:35 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Not sure why there have been threads like this lately on this sub-forum. Must be a full moon or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallvictories View Post
Did you report the post of the person who CURSED at sojones, too? Probably not, because you agreed with them, right?
No, but that's only because I didn't see that post. If I had seen that post, I would have definitely reported it also. Not sure what the person said so I can't agree or disagree with their statement.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
The real question is, how many times and from how many different angles are you going to continue to try to stir up the same sh*t in this forum?? We're tired of it, and apparently so are the mods.

I'd PM one of the mods with your concerns.
How many times, and from how many different angles, do we have to read posts from the "majority" on here that try to stir up the same old ____ in this forum when they get mad at having to share downtown, and the park, with brown teenagers who get labeled as "thugs" just because they like to wear saggy pants? Those kids wouldn't last 10 seconds in the presence of REAL THUGS, who come in every color.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:50 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
You mean showing underwear. This is not black culture. The current President even agrees with that. Shooting in the air isn't either. From a business standpoint, and it's about business; we can't have that(shooting).

Old 05-31-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
You mean showing underwear. This is not black culture. The current President even agrees with that. Shooting in the air isn't either. From a business standpoint, and it's about business; we can't have that(shooting).
If business is the priority, why won't the city run a Teen Club on the weekends, as part of the Dept. of Recreation, to give the kids a fun and safe alternative to aimlessly wandering around downtown? Why can't the downtown businesses pitch in on the cost? Isn't that a small price to pay for a pleasant downtown experience and business environment?

They could charge $3-$5 for entry and have the kids walk through magnetometers (and be wanded if need be) to get in. Security can be hired, and they could have chaperones (hired and volunteer parents) as well. If it's done right, the kids will actually flock to it. But, nobody's trying provide any alternative for the kids. It's like they just want them, especially the black ones, to go away. That's not working, so it's time to try something else.

Idle minds are the devil's playground, after all.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Not sure why there have been threads like this lately on this sub-forum. Must be a full moon or something.

No, but that's only because I didn't see that post. If I had seen that post, I would have definitely reported it also. Not sure what the person said so I can't agree or disagree with their statement.
Well, being that it's a PUBLIC forum, that NONE of us are paying to use, anybody can post anything they like - even stuff others don't like or agree with - as long as the rules are followed. ANY subject, no matter how unpopular, that is relevant to Greenville-Spartanburg is permitted, within the guidelines. If you all want more control, create your OWN message board and make it paid membership only. That way, you can set whatever rules you want. But, CD is for everybody, even those you don't agree with.

At the same time, nobody is being forced to read the threads and comment. If you're tired of a subject, just ignore the thread. It's no fun repeatedly posting to yourself, so it won't take too long for the poster to get the message. Right? If you think someone is trolling, don't feed them. But, y'all do feed them, and very bitterly I might add - which gives them more fuel - and then have the nerve to get mad when they won't go away.

As for me, I'm not a one-dimensional poster. However, when someone starts a thread regarding racial issues/relations in Greenville, they always get attacked and bullied - unless they are posting something that reinforces the point of view of the majority here, which is white. That's not a condemnation because IT IS WHAT IT IS. However, when you all respond so negatively and bitterly, that sets the tone for the remainder of the replies.

And, when someone does say something, if it's one-sided, or short-sighted, I'm probably going to chime in to balance out the viewpoints. I don't always take the side of black people, but I'm not going to let us be scapegoated, either. And, lastly, we don't have to shut up just because y'all tell us to. You all are not the boss of us.

If you didn't see the other post with the curse word in it, fair enough. But, that leads me to ask you why you focused on my post but ignored the others, of the opposite point of view, that weren't positive. Could it be that you agreed with the overall sentiments of those other posts, so you only singled out mine? Because, truth be told, if my post was inappropriate, so were a few others. I mean, if fairness matters, and all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area