U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 01:35 PM

11 posts, read 10,811 times

Advertisements

I am so distraught about what I have read about Canola oil. I have read a lot about it. It comes from Rapeseed which is used for poisons and such. The articles say that it has been genetically changed to be safe for humans. So if we genetically make something safe can it naturally mutate back to poison? That scares the mess out of me. I see it popping up in so many foods. I have to read every label before we buy anything. Right now, I don't trust it and probally never will.

When I talk to some people about my concerns for Canola, aspartame and MSG, I get, "Well, I'm gonna die from something...". Really? So if you know something could be potentially killing you but you enjoy it, just keep doing it? Look at how many people have cancer! What is it coming from. Could it be all the mess we are putting in our body?

I don't consider myself a fanatic about what we eat but sometimes I feel like people see me as such. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 02:25 PM

11,544 posts, read 25,075,396 times
I quit Canola years ago for health reasons and switched to Peanut Oil, a natural food, for baking and frying as it does not alter the taste of foods they way olive oil does. I use Olive Oil, also a natural food, for salad dressings.

On a side note, I don't use butter very much, but when I do, I use the real thing. I am not a fan of corn or vegetable oil, or salt either. There is something disturbing to me about foods for human consumption that contain words I cannot pronounce. What I do know is that palm kernel oil and coconut oil is not heart healthy. I prefer pure cane sugar to beet sugar. The mouth may not know the difference, but you will notice it in candy, frostings and some cake recipes.

I had to learn about different foods and the side effects on the body because my spouse was chronically ill for a number of years. The problem with the American diet is simple. Long before processed foods - if we wanted to bake or fry there were three options: butter, lard or bacon fat. The balance of the diet was in the hen house, the rivers, which were pristine, the bushes, the forests, the garden, or the trees. We killed it, cleaned it, picked it, cured it, grew it, or canned it, for there was no freezer or "ice" box. Those who did not have serious hidden health issues, or die during an epidemic lived 90 years or longer.

Last edited by linicx; 06-14-2012 at 02:49 PM..

Old 06-14-2012, 02:54 PM

4,538 posts, read 5,826,922 times
I think a question/comment about canola oil doesn't have a place on the Greenville board - sorry, but this (and other) post(s) have nothing to do with the Greenville area.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:33 PM

I think a concerned Greenville resident can voice concerns and ask for an opinion.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:56 PM

5,681 posts, read 9,669,890 times
Aren't there more general forums on CD for this kind of question, though? That said, I had always thought canola was a healthy alternative to traditional animal fats used for cooking/frying.

We generally use EVOO for just about everything, mainly due to the flavor.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:14 PM

Hmmm? EVOO is new name. What is it?

Canola I think is/was considered an alternative to corn and vegetable oils, and solid fats. I didn't like the flavor in the finished product that much. For my family a very serious health issue was the biggest consideration as to why I switched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Aren't there more general forums on CD for this kind of question, though? That said, I had always thought canola was a healthy alternative to traditional animal fats used for cooking/frying.

We generally use EVOO for just about everything, mainly due to the flavor.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:51 PM

5,681 posts, read 9,669,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
It's how a certain popular cook with a daytime TV show refers to Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Olive oil is a FANTASTIC alternative to margarine and other fats.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:17 PM

119 posts, read 208,010 times
Hate canola, love coconut oil - which I get at Market For Life. There - I brought it back to the area

Old 06-15-2012, 08:30 AM

9,038 posts, read 13,887,070 times
Quote:
I think a concerned Greenville resident can voice concerns and ask for an opinion.
That is why earlier on I suggested just an ongoing open topic thread where anything could be discussed that was on our minds like Charleston has but no one bothered to respond. Or maybe nobody knew what I was talking about. I suggested it so we could discuss things like this.

I agree with the OP by the way. The Canola plant by definition is genetically engineered. It was created in the late 1970's in Canada. I find it amusing that you can buy Canola oil that is "100% organic". Isn't that an oxymoron?

I remember watching lots of episodes of "East Meets West" with Ming Tsai on the Food Network who seemed to be a chef who otherwise cared about using quality ingredients. Yet he used Canola oil for all of his stir frying and sauteing "because it has a high smoke point". Well aren't there other oils with high smoke points?

I've been using Grapeseed oil and now there is Coconut oil that is LOADED with health benefits including being able to get through the blood brain barrier and help with dementia and so many other things.
However, I think it adds a coconut flavor to food which isn't always desirable.

I've had several discussions with various Whole Foods department managers about it. I don't like that their mayonnaise is made from Canola oil. I think I'm going to start making my own mayonnaise.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:33 AM

9,038 posts, read 13,887,070 times
Quote:

Canola I think is/was considered an alternative to corn and vegetable oils, and solid fats. I didn't like the flavor in the finished product that much. For my family a very serious health issue was the biggest consideration as to why I switched.
EVOO is an acronym for Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Rachel Ray was the one to start calling it by the acronym until almost everyone started and continue to refer to it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area