Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 09:42 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,609,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
It's real bad outside the city proper around Columbia. Parts of Northeast are going downhill, fast, then you have parts of Cayce, W. Cola, and even Irmo that are looking rough these days.

I don't think it's happening here on a scale anywhere close to that extent.
What is your factual basis for this statement? It absolutely makes no sense at all. Northeast Columbia is doing well. In fact, it is doing so well that the luxury car dealerships are moving to Killian Road. Lexus is open, BMW is moving and I believe Audi is open as well. If you are talking about Two Notch, it is bad but, Northeast Columbia, you are dreaming. Irmo is doing well too. In addition to Amazon, Cayce is set to open a new Pharm plant that will pay higher than normal average wages. Lexington County is consistently one of the fastest growing counties in SC (and no, the fastest is not Greenville by a mile).

Not sure why you would even suggest that there is a great disparity between the areas. We can walk through the demographics one by one and your argument has no basis other than some shock value. Would love to hear why you would make such a broad based statement without merit. The real estate markets between Greenville and Columbia are way too similar to make such silly statements.

This thread is actually a good thread other than posts like this. There are many economist and real estate executives who believe in the next 20 - 30 years that a lot of suburbs will become low income housing. I am not sure what areas around Greenville would fall into this category but, if it happens in most metros, there is nothing to suggest that a mid sized city with middle of the pack growth and lower than average income levels would go against the trend. It does not make the area a bad place, it is something that has been suggested may be occurring in Charlotte as well. Of course, I am sure by your assessment, Greenville would outperform Charlotte as well.

This posts is actually funny when you read it a couple of times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
There are several pockets in the Greenville area that are becoming ghettofied. Any apartment or condomium complexes around East North Street, Haywood Road and Pelham Road has been rough for a few years. Poinsett Highway, heading into downtown, is still a rough area.
Haywood does look rough as does Laurens Road and Hwy 153/123. My least favorite road in the upstate is Hwy29 through Greer, that is one of the worst roads in the Carolinas. It is the only road that I know of that makes Independence look nice.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:37 PM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
What is your factual basis for this statement? It absolutely makes no sense at all. Northeast Columbia is doing well. In fact, it is doing so well that the luxury car dealerships are moving to Killian Road. Lexus is open, BMW is moving and I believe Audi is open as well. If you are talking about Two Notch, it is bad but, Northeast Columbia, you are dreaming. Irmo is doing well too. In addition to Amazon, Cayce is set to open a new Pharm plant that will pay higher than normal average wages. Lexington County is consistently one of the fastest growing counties in SC (and no, the fastest is not Greenville by a mile).

Not sure why you would even suggest that there is a great disparity between the areas. We can walk through the demographics one by one and your argument has no basis other than some shock value. Would love to hear why you would make such a broad based statement without merit. The real estate markets between Greenville and Columbia are way too similar to make such silly statements.

This thread is actually a good thread other than posts like this. There are many economist and real estate executives who believe in the next 20 - 30 years that a lot of suburbs will become low income housing. I am not sure what areas around Greenville would fall into this category but, if it happens in most metros, there is nothing to suggest that a mid sized city with middle of the pack growth and lower than average income levels would go against the trend. It does not make the area a bad place, it is something that has been suggested may be occurring in Charlotte as well. Of course, I am sure by your assessment, Greenville would outperform Charlotte as well.

This posts is actually funny when you read it a couple of times.
Alright now. Don't start this mess! Greenville county added more people than any county in South Carolina in raw numbers. And housing values are actually second after Charleston. This was a peaceful thread. Don't start!

Old 06-25-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Alright now. Don't start this mess! Greenville county added more people than any county in South Carolina in raw numbers. And housing values are actually second after Charleston. This was a peaceful thread. Don't start!
Allright, I actually like the thread but, that was not a good post about Columbia, not remotely close to being accurate. In fact, it was so far off, it was funny. As I have said before, and the stats back me up, Columbia is doing well. Not as good as Charleston but, doing very well.

There are a lot of ideas concerning this topic. A lot of the thought centers around people moving back into the cities and leaving the suburbs behind. Its late so I can't remember any economists names for reference, maybe I will think of them tomorrow.

BTW, population growth is measured in % terms.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Allright, I actually like the thread but, that was not a good post about Columbia, not remotely close to being accurate. In fact, it was so far off, it was funny. As I have said before, and the stats back me up, Columbia is doing well. Not as good as Charleston but, doing very well.

There are a lot of ideas concerning this topic. A lot of the thought centers around people moving back into the cities and leaving the suburbs behind. Its late so I can't remember any economists names for reference, maybe I will think of them tomorrow.

I know you measured in percentage. That fits you, I like raw numbers. That fits me. Stop getting upset, the poster made a mistake. This thread is supposed to be peaceful. I felt it was a good topic in the Cola forum, and was curious what folks thought here.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:24 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,649,256 times
Quote:

I think he was talking about certain neighborhoods that are more cookie cutter and not unique. Areas of the Summit, for example, were very nice when my family lived next to it but it has declined in value since the economy has tanked. Many neighborhoods have problems with people not taking care of their lawns, parking cars in the middle of the lawn, etc. No worries though, this has happened in every city in the country I'm sure. A lot of Northeast Columbia remains very stable and I believe that outweigh the less desirable neighborhoods.

As posted above this has happened in Greenville but I don't live in any particular neighborhood. I'm more familiar with it in Columbia because I grew up there and have seen some neighborhoods decline rapidly. The poster was not trying to be disrespectful I hope.

Edit: Actually, after rereading his post, I feel there is malicious intent in his statement.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:04 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,847,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
I saw a similar thread in the Columbia forum. So what do you folks think? Are places like Simpsonville, Maudlin, etc the new Greenville ghettos? I hope not. My property values went up.

ever heard of The Village or Canterbury in Simpsonville and Piedmont? i'd say those both qualify as stereotypical ghettos outside the urban area. so does Valley Brook on US 25 in Piedmont.

if you drive to developments in Simpsonville such as Fairview Pointe, Morning Mist and The Brooks you'll notice that many of those development serve racial and ethnic minorities. Now grant it in all 3 of those cases those are not what i would call "economic ghettos" as the housing prices of those places are 120+ in all 3 from my research but Fairview Pointe (mostly black), Morning Mist and The Brooks (lots of latino families).

Old 06-26-2012, 07:18 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,847,696 times
Quote:

true but if you have 1 person in your town and another moves in then that's misleading in terms of growth. if you already have 1 million people in your city and another 100,000 move in then % wise that's not gonna be as significant. percent growth is only significant to small towns / cities / communities.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
ever heard of The Village or Canterbury in Simpsonville and Piedmont? i'd say those both qualify as stereotypical ghettos outside the urban area. so does Valley Brook on US 25 in Piedmont.

if you drive to developments in Simpsonville such as Fairview Pointe, Morning Mist and The Brooks you'll notice that many of those development serve racial and ethnic minorities. Now grant it in all 3 of those cases those are not what i would call "economic ghettos" as the housing prices of those places are 120+ in all 3 from my research but Fairview Pointe (mostly black), Morning Mist and The Brooks (lots of latino families).
Hmmm. I don't know if having ethnic minorities necessarily qualifies an area as ghetto. I'm black, but definitely don't live in the ghetto. I know there are lots of poor uneducated minorities, but there are some educated ones.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:55 AM

12,881 posts, read 18,736,837 times
I started the thread on this topic in the Columbia forum, and it was not my intent to paint a picture in which all of suburbia will become slums while cities will shine in the center. I just think it's interesting that up till now in the history of this nation and our state, the suburbs seem to have existed largely because they were a place to "get away from it all" with "all" being things like congestion, crime, taxes, bad schools and "undesirables" moving in up the street. Now there's nowhere to run and nowhere to hide in the big picture. Yes, there are pockets of wealth in the burbs just like in the cities, but poverty is around all of us now and rising, whether in the city, the burbs, small towns or the country. What are we going to do about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area