U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 08:46 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,728,661 times

Advertisements

I couldn't find any recent thread discussing the latest Master Plan for the renovation of Laurens Rd/276 through Mauldin. The final input session is this Thursday the 28th from 5:30 to 7:30 at City Hall.

The preliminary Master Plan can be viewed here:

http://www.cityofmauldin.org/client_...esentation.pdf

I was happy to see that a few of my suggestions on the input side (changes and wants etc.) actually made it word for word in there haha. It was all pretty obvious stuff...but it is at least nice to know that they actually read that stuff and took it into consideration.

Anyone else's thoughts? What they have shown looks fantastic - better than I could have hoped for. What they actually do and the time-frame though may be another thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 10:28 AM

5,402 posts, read 6,043,357 times
What's with the half-***** streetscaping they attempted along N Main St?? Is it some sort of test section or something?

Last edited by linicx; 07-08-2012 at 09:00 PM..

Old 06-25-2012, 10:39 AM

617 posts, read 686,366 times
I love what is shown. I agree with all of the points made; Mauldin has no identity and it could be a great place to go, even though we drive through it all the time. (Simpsonville STILL doesn't have much going on downtown).

Old 06-25-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
What's with the half-*ssed streetscaping they attempted along N Main St?? Is it some sort of test section or something?
eh. It's all young trees and shrubs right now. I'm sure their plan is for those to mature.

I don't think they will be doing much more streetscaping until this whole Master Plan is approved due to the fact that the overall streetscaping would need to be tied into the new layout. The proposed MP includes planted medians, bike lanes, more sidewalks, crosswalks, burying some utilities etc.

I'm sure this initial amount was just to do SOMETHING, but the rest will have to wait as it should be coordinated with the final overall plan as approved for construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrocker View Post
I love what is shown. I agree with all of the points made; Mauldin has no identity and it could be a great place to go, even though we drive through it all the time. (Simpsonville STILL doesn't have much going on downtown).
Yeah when my wife and I (27 and 25 respectively just FYI) were picking where we wanted to buy a house, we really wanted something in downtown Greenville, but had a hard time finding something that checked all the boxes and still was in our price or a decent size. We ended up kind of reversing course and getting a house in Mauldin. It's bigger than what we need but was much cheaper and the idea is that we are still close to work (8 miles) and close to downtown (about 11 miles) without ever using the highway. We didn't pick Mauldin because we liked Mauldin, we picked Mauldin because we like Greenville and Simpsonville was farther out than we wanted to be.

If they could go forward with this proposed design and just attract even a handful of restaurants, coffee shops, and other local stores and services to go along with an improved aesthetic it would really be a great place to live. As much as we love downtown and go frequently, there are plenty of times that we just stay home instead of driving, even though it is only 11 miles. A "downtown" part of Mauldin would certainly fill the gap on those days.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:41 AM

942 posts, read 899,072 times
I think the plan is heading in the right direction. Having a local leisure/restaurant/entertainment destination would certainly be welcome for those living in the area.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:00 PM

I'll add that a lot of times I feel like cities force things because they want to become the next "it" place and they end up trying to attract businesses when there wasn't much of a demand to begin with.

However in this case, I really think that there is a desire for this kind of improvement in Mauldin. I honestly think that a center like this could thrive there if they get the right kind of tenants. There are a lot of nice neighborhoods in the Mauldin area and almost everyone I know leaves Mauldin (for Greenville or Simpsonville) to do anything other than grocery shop. It's not because they don't like Mauldin, but there just aren't any options!

Plus, this kind of area could obviously provide more opportunities for employment in the area as well.

Glad to see some responses though. I know that being a young married couple with no kids yet might provide me with a completely different set of interests than other people who live in the area so I was interested to see what people thought. I do plan to go to the input/info session.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:43 PM

8,907 posts, read 13,460,286 times
Quote:
What's with the half-*ssed streetscaping they attempted along N Main St?? Is it some sort of test section or something?
Nope. They only had a certain amount of money to spend on it and had to stay within that budget.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:31 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,470,328 times
Quote:
I think that it's happening in stages (as budget permits). The master plan shows that eventually most of the median will be planted (to and past Butler), and many of the intersections will be improved.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:41 PM

5,402 posts, read 6,043,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Nope. They only had a certain amount of money to spend on it and had to stay within that budget.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I think that it's happening in stages (as budget permits). The master plan shows that eventually most of the median will be planted (to and past Butler), and many of the intersections will be improved.
Well, that makes sense. But it wasn't presented that way when I saw it touted. We figured the streetscaping was a one-shot thing to get that stretch of road prepared for the city center-type development to come. I fear this whole thing won't be finished in our lifetimes! lol

Old 06-25-2012, 02:20 PM

8,907 posts, read 13,460,286 times
Quote:
Well, that makes sense. But it wasn't presented that way when I saw it touted. We figured the streetscaping was a one-shot thing to get that stretch of road prepared for the city center-type development to come. I fear this whole thing won't be finished in our lifetimes! lol
Costs (construction bids) kept increasing for it so they had to cut back on a good bit of what was planned sadly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area