Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 11:32 AM

169 posts, read 438,946 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been planning a move to Greenville. After much consideration, we decided renting outside of downtown would be best for our budget (would like to stay under $1,000 for an updated 2 bedroom). I have been keeping my eye on craigslist house/condo rentals and comparing apartment reviews. I narrowed our search down to Greer/Simpsonville. I believe that the Garden District apartments are our best match. They seem to be fully updated with lots of amenities and priced reasonably. Any inside scoop about these apartments? Would you consider this a good area of town (considering safety, beauty, and convenience)? We enjoy being outdoors and my husband is a triathlete so it would be nice to be close to bike paths, trails, etc. Any advice is appreciated. I have been browsing other threads but most on this topic seem to be outdated. THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 12:17 PM

1,845 posts, read 2,763,744 times
Those apts and area look nice, just from driving by. They're located next to the recently built IMax theater. Very convenient to shopping. For jogging, they lead out into the sidewalk system of the 'classic Simpsonville' - the streets with character. Also within an easy jog to Heritage park which has a few more trails.

Bike paths - not so much in that immediate area. The Swamp Rabbit Trail path through Simpsonville is still in the talking stage, with no immediate plans. Plan to take your bike to other regional trails: mountain bike style trails at Paris Mountain or for a paved trail, to the Swamp Rabbit Trail near Greenville. There are some decent on-road bicycle rides nearby, for example a relaxed paced weekly ride that starts from Heritage Park.

Last edited by bikeoid; 06-26-2012 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-26-2012, 12:59 PM

684 posts, read 1,186,415 times
I remember that place next to the IMAX! It has a security gate but no fence so anyone can walk in but not drive in... It did have a good fitness center and pool.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:53 PM

Bikeoid, thanks for all the details and biking suggestions!

Mohtalim, a good fitness center is important to us as well. Thanks for your input.

What about good grocery stores nearby? Is there a Whole Foods, Fresh Market, or something similar?

I'll have to check out what Classic Simpsonville entails...

It sounds like I'm on the right track with our renting search...open to suggestions though!

Old 06-26-2012, 03:16 PM

The nearest standard grocery stores would be Wal-Mart and Bi-Lo. For Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, it's about 15 minutes to Woodruff Road plus 5-10 minutes of traffic at times.

Classic Simpsonville is the original part of town, as opposed to 'Cookie Cutter Subdivisions' (forum joke!) - a mixture of anything from average houses to beautifully restored houses. It has a small walkable downtown identity with a small clock tower square.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:16 PM

Thanks, you have been so helpful!! Last question... lots of good restaurants in the area, other than chains? Any suggestions?

Old 06-26-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj28 View Post
Last question... lots of good restaurants in the area, other than chains? Any suggestions?
There are some non-chain restaurants within a mile or 2, nothing fancy but nice:
Anita's (Mexican)
Henry's Smokehouse (BBQ)
P Simpson's Grille
Coach House Restaurant - Diner

There are a decent variety of chain restaurants within 2 miles also. Note that Simpsonville still allows smoking in their restaurants until Sep 1, 2012. Some of the restaurants already don't allow smoking, but I'm not going back to some of these until the smoking ban kicks in.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:17 AM

I really appreciate you taking the time to fill me in on the area. Have you always lived in the Greenville area? I can't believe any restaurants still allow smoking! We will be moving mid/end of August so luckily the smoking policy will be changing soon after!

Old 07-01-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj28 View Post
I really appreciate you taking the time to fill me in on the area. Have you always lived in the Greenville area? I can't believe any restaurants still allow smoking! We will be moving mid/end of August so luckily the smoking policy will be changing soon after!
I've been here for over 25 years and love it!

Old 07-01-2012, 04:03 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,138,172 times
I have been here all of my life and am proud to be here. There is a mobile home park across the road from The Garden District but is is a nice place that has been there forever. You are only a couple of blocks from the cotton mill and there are some smaller mill homes there. Publix, Bilo, Ingles and Food Lion are all within a 10 minute drive. In addition to the eating places names I would recommend The Elegant Gourmet right off of Main. Don't forget to go by The Ice Cream Station to get your soft serve ice cream. You can meet a lot of the locals there on a warm eveing. It is walk up service with picnic tables sitting around by the train tracks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area