Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 03:10 PM

207 posts, read 555,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallaboutyou View Post
And there you go... I've seen almost identical surveys on other small cities comparable to here, ranging from A-Z topics which are extremely questionable. Yet... The hand full here that catch a positive survey and immediately post, consider it Southern gospel with no skepticism. It makes for a pungent smell.....
If you read my original post, I said that I know these surveys are 'fluff' pieces, but that it was still fun to see. I'm a transplant here, so I don't buy into the "Southern gospel" category
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 03:08 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
That makes sense considering the practice of marriage has very deep roots as an ancient biblical tradition. For Christians who believe the principles preserved in the text, marriage is a seriously symbolic covenant.
Well, the writers of the Bible certainly didn't invent marriage. Marriage was also an ancient tradition in other lands far far away from Israel. It was everywhere.

Doubt marriages would be stronger because there are more Christians believing in conservative values. There are too many studies showing a higher divorce rate in the South. The less religious Northeast has a lower divorce rate.

I have no desire to live in the Northeast, but facts are facts.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:10 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmne View Post
Just came across Greenville being named #2 on the list of 10 Best Cities for Marriage in the US. Although I think these articles are a lot of fluff, and I'm not sure where they get their research from, it's still fun to see!
Fluff is right. Not saying there's anything wrong with Greenville, but I doubt there was a shred of research involved.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:57 AM

374 posts, read 833,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmne View Post
If you read my original post, I said that I know these surveys are 'fluff' pieces, but that it was still fun to see. I'm a transplant here, so I don't buy into the "Southern gospel" category
Yeap, read it and agree. There's a small group here though, that'll flip-flop depending on posted survey or ride it Paul Revere style.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:06 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,839,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Well, the writers of the Bible certainly didn't invent marriage. Marriage was also an ancient tradition in other lands far far away from Israel. It was everywhere.

Doubt marriages would be stronger because there are more Christians believing in conservative values. There are too many studies showing a higher divorce rate in the South. The less religious Northeast has a lower divorce rate.

I have no desire to live in the Northeast, but facts are facts.
Not sure if Skyliner was thinking of it in the same way as me, but I think of it this way:

More Conservative Christians=More Tradtional Marriage as we think of it. Because there are more people getting married, there are subsequently more "Happy" marriages. The same would apply for divorce, the divorce rate would be higher because there are more people getting married . Unless the "survey" was done based on per capita of course. But like everyone said, who even knows how the survey was conducted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area