Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 07:14 PM

207 posts, read 555,794 times

Advertisements

Just came across Greenville being named #2 on the list of 10 Best Cities for Marriage in the US. Although I think these articles are a lot of fluff, and I'm not sure where they get their research from, it's still fun to see!

10 Best Cities for a Happy Marriage | Photo Gallery - Yahoo! Shine

I know my marriage has been great since we moved here. We have so many things to do as a family or just as a couple. And all the sunshine most of the year definitely keeps us both in better moods!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 07:48 PM

12,877 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Just think if South Carolina ok'd same-sex marriage!

Old 06-28-2012, 08:54 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,649,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Just think if South Carolina ok'd same-sex marriage!
That's what I was thinking when I saw the thread title.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:08 PM

128 posts, read 319,842 times
Not for highly-educated, upwardly-mobile black women, it's not. The pickings for compatible black men are pretty much non-existent. I'm just sayin'...

Old 06-29-2012, 02:54 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,839,501 times
Makes you wonder is it just because more people believe in a traditional family, more conservative/christian views, etc.

The OP is right though, take it with a grain of salt as they don't appear to have any statistics other than the "real age" test.

smallvictories: I think what they are saying is that people who are already married seem to be happier here, although I don't know how one would judge that.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:04 AM

506 posts, read 1,221,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallvictories View Post
Not for highly-educated, upwardly-mobile black women, it's not. The pickings for compatible black men are pretty much non-existent. I'm just sayin'...
I thought this statement was pretty funny since my boss is a black woman and her husband is a black neurosurgeon.

I know it's only one example, but then again so is yours.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:40 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
Makes you wonder is it just because more people believe in a traditional family, more conservative/christian views, etc.
That makes sense considering the practice of marriage has very deep roots as an ancient biblical tradition. For Christians who believe the principles preserved in the text, marriage is a seriously symbolic covenant.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:51 AM

207 posts, read 555,794 times
Although I'm not religious in the least bit (my husband likes to joke that if he stepped into a church he would go up in flames ) I have no problem with that. It's nice to see that marriage is actually taken seriously, and not just a reason to have a party.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:40 PM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallvictories View Post
Attitude is everything. I date any race.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:16 AM

128 posts, read 319,842 times
I didn't say there were no pickings, I said the pickings were extremely slim. And they are.

Are you one of those white people who likes to tell black people what it's like to be black? How exactly would you know what the dating pool is like for single, highly-educated and upwardly-mobile black women in Greenville if you aren't one? Stay in your lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackofdawn View Post
I thought this statement was pretty funny since my boss is a black woman and her husband is a black neurosurgeon.

I know it's only one example, but then again so is yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area