Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 06:20 PM

1,841 posts, read 2,742,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallaboutyou View Post
Let's see your link
Greer Memorial Hospital Freedom Blast

Quote:
Music, fireworks, and a salute to the men and women of the U.S. Armed Forces await guests at the 2012 Greer Memorial Hospital Freedom Blast scheduled for June 30 at Greer City Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 06:32 PM

374 posts, read 829,719 times
Thank you... Had placed a call as well.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:46 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,816,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Noodles, if you think Greenville is crowded...I went to Chicago's one year and the exiting crowd stopped traffic on Lake Shore Drive upon exit. Never did it again, but it was an amazing show well worth the hassle once! I say you go the first time and then decide if it is worth the hassle in following years.

GREENVILLE REALLY PUTS ON A GOOD SHOW!!!
When I used to go,(over 2 years ago) I felt that the fireworks were relatively short for the hassle of getting downtown, finding parking and a good place to watch, fighting through the crowds, then fighting back out and getting home. I have visited other cities that were much larger shows and managed the traffic and crowds better(I.E. Pittsburgh). Yes you had to wait in traffic, but the show was much longer and more interesting.

Not to mention the fact that the people who are there, well lets just say its not your regular downtown Greenville crowd, obnoxious people throwing fireworks into the road, causing problems. I used to work downtown, so I know how to get in and out fast, I just find that I'd rather go see a smaller show and not fight the sillyness. For instance, I think I will go to downtown Easley, because I went last year and thought it was great and was home in less than 5 minutes.

Its just my personal opinion, I'm not saying the fireworks aren't nice, just that you have to weigh is it really worth it to you, like I said maybe it is maybe it isn't

Old 07-04-2012, 12:56 AM

423 posts, read 893,301 times
My church, Earle Street Baptist, is having a parade down Earle Street at 7 pm followed by a cookout at 7:30 prior to the fireworks. People will bring their lawn chairs and sit in the parking lot for the fireworks at 9:45. It's about 1.5 miles from the fireworks but they said you can see the fireworks well from the parking lot. You have to pay $5 to eat at 7:30 but the fireworks don't start until 9:45 and because it's a weeknight I don't think there will be as many people staying for the fireworks as there would be if it were on a weekend.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:00 AM

6,888 posts, read 22,431,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
When I used to go,(over 2 years ago) I felt that the fireworks were relatively short for the hassle of getting downtown, finding parking and a good place to watch, fighting through the crowds, then fighting back out and getting home. I have visited other cities that were much larger shows and managed the traffic and crowds better(I.E. Pittsburgh). Yes you had to wait in traffic, but the show was much longer and more interesting.

Not to mention the fact that the people who are there, well lets just say its not your regular downtown Greenville crowd, obnoxious people throwing fireworks into the road, causing problems. I used to work downtown, so I know how to get in and out fast, I just find that I'd rather go see a smaller show and not fight the sillyness. For instance, I think I will go to downtown Easley, because I went last year and thought it was great and was home in less than 5 minutes.

Its just my personal opinion, I'm not saying the fireworks aren't nice, just that you have to weigh is it really worth it to you, like I said maybe it is maybe it isn't
home in 5 minutes? Can't really beat that! When we go to Greenville we go only for the fireworks. We don't spend time on Main St. We don't spend any money, not even to park because we don't have it to spare. You won't get to Augusta St. in 5 minutes but we are always surprised how quickly we've been able to get home to Mauldin.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:07 AM

5,519 posts, read 15,291,100 times
Last year's show was more impressive (longer and definitely bigger) than any I had ever seen in Greenville. I heard from a pyrotechnician responsible for the show last year who says they are planning an even better show this year. As a fan of professional fireworks, I believe this event is worth every minute in heavy traffic. Just consider the hassle as your payment for an otherwise enjoyable free show.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:17 AM

5,519 posts, read 15,291,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
You won't get to Augusta St. in 5 minutes but we are always surprised how quickly we've been able to get home to Mauldin.
Your family's experience sounds similar to my family's own experience. I have never been stuck in downtown traffic longer than 30 minutes. Proper prior preparation is the key.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:24 AM

6,888 posts, read 22,431,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Your family's experience sounds similar to my family's own experience. I have never been stuck in downtown traffic longer than 30 minutes. Proper prior preparation is the key.
Maybe I got the tip from you in a prior year! I've offered it here many times and others have as well. If you don't want to spend time downtown it is the only way to go! I hope it doesn't rain on the show tonight!

Old 07-04-2012, 04:13 PM

609 posts, read 1,614,449 times
Greenville downtown during the whole July 4th is awesome!

Good food and times

If you've not been once, you have to go. It's a MUST!

Old 07-04-2012, 05:48 PM

9,371 posts, read 9,662,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
The fireworks in Simpsonville are scheduled to start at approximately 9:45pm, immediately following the truncated '1812 Overture' performance with live cannons.
Where is the best place to park to watch the fireworks from outside the park?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area