Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 11:16 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
What is MSA? Why can't people use full and complete words?

The only way you can get a number like 650,000 is if you include Anderson and Spartanburg counties. As others have said according to the Census, Greenville County which includes Mauldin and Simpsonville and other towns besides Greenville is only 400+ K.

As far as Greenville goes and how many people live there but outside city limits, I did the research for the OP and included references and links which is more than you've done right here, http://www.city-data.com/forum/25034854-post9.html , and it comes out to a population of around 200k until you start getting into other towns. You can check my math and my sources and find fault with it if you like. If you don't like them though, keep in mind, they aren't MY numbers. They are the populations within each zip code in Greenville. It sounds like from all the SHOUTING, you didn't even bother.
You don't get it, so I refuse to explain or respond again. It's obvious you know more than the people who know and work this area everyday. I'm tired. Someone else may explain it. I'm not. Bye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 02:48 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:

The only way you can get a number like 650,000 is if you include Anderson and Spartanburg counties. As others have said according to the Census, Greenville County which includes Mauldin and Simpsonville and other towns besides Greenville is only 400+ K.

As far as Greenville goes and how many people live there but outside city limits, I did the research for the OP and included references and links which is more than you've done right here, http://www.city-data.com/forum/25034854-post9.html , and it comes out to a population of around 200k until you start getting into other towns. You can check my math and my sources and find fault with it if you like. If you don't like them though, keep in mind, they aren't MY numbers. They are the populations within each zip code in Greenville. It sounds like from all the SHOUTING, you didn't even bother.
MSA = metropolitan statistical area. It's the official term used by the Census Bureau.

I believe the ~650,000 figure is inclusive of Greenville, Laurens, and Pickens counties. I know they do not include Spartanburg and Anderson counties, which have their own MSAs.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:27 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,380,209 times
Quote:

The following information was posted yesterday afternoon in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
The Greenville Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) is comprised of Greenville (461,299), Pickens (119,574) and Laurens (66,528) Counties. Parts of Spartanburg and Anderson Counties are accurately included in Greenville's urban area (UA), despite being excluded from the MSA.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:38 PM

614 posts, read 1,101,440 times
Quote:
I'm not having a "bad" day LOL! It just never ceases to amaze me how some South Carolinians in Greenville and Charleston spend so much time worrying about the fact that their city doesn't measure up to larger cities and keep trying to insist that they do. If you read the Charleston forum you'll find several threads there where they try to make it sound like Charleston is on a par with Boston or something.
There seems to be no less than one a month for Greenville too.

I know people want to get a better gauge on it. I was curious too since I live outside the city limits so I thought I'd help by doing some of the research and at least trying to figure it out based on figuring the population that resides within Greenville zip codes and as you now know, it is around 203,000.

I hope those who were ashamed, for lack of a better word, of the small size of Greenville can now be "proud" to know that when greater Greenville is included, it is really over three times the size of the city itself.

The same thing goes for Charleston when you figure in northern James Island and West Ashley residents who all have Charleston addresses and zip codes.

But even when you add in the populations of the greater area, it doesn't change the city's or, cities' amenities (including Greenville) or lack thereof.
So True!!!

Old 07-06-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
So True!!!
Slow day in the Augusta forum?

Old 07-06-2012, 04:32 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
I would not use wiki either. Although I don't remember seeing numbers too far off in the thread, could be wrong. I just don't remember seeing anything. But, people get a little touchy on some subjects. I have been blasted by most of the Greenville supporters for stating facts. I have been told that Greenville has better metrics than Charlotte and that is why Whole Foods was there first, one Greenville poster corrected my spelling (hard to type to iphone sometimes), one Greenville poster attacked me for disputing information about Columbia correctly and I have been asked to apologize for stating correct percent comparisons. So, people can sometimes go to the extremes, I think that was the piont of her comment. No big deal, nothing to worry about. I don't think people expect Greenville to be large and that is a big draw for some. It is a good size for most all of the population. Whether it is 650k or 900k, the area has most of what people want for everyday living. all three SC metros, excluding Charlotte, Could be described that way.
It is only 900k if you include nearby Georgia and Western NC. If you stay inside the state, the three counties MAY be pushing 650k. Greenville County alone is a little over 400k and Greenville inside city limits is 58k. Greenville inside and outside city limits excluding other towns in Greenville County is about 200k. If you do the research ( or simply check my research), you'll see I'm right.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:39 PM

You aren't going to best GSP101 on metrics. He is pretty good and usually dead on. Greenville county currently sits over 450k. We know this stuff.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:52 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
It is extremely difficult to envision an area of America where one has never ivied. Based strictly on text I can find, the Uplands or upcountry is a total of 10 counties. The Greenville Metropolitan Statistical Area, which includes Greenville County and the City of Greenville, consists of three counties: Greenville, Pickens and Laurens. The total combine population of the three counties exceeds 636,986 residents.

The Metropolitan Statistical Area, as defined by the United States Office of Management and Budget is used by the United States Census Bureau for statistical purpose only. As far as I am concerned the MSA is useless to answer real life questions. Chicago is a perfect example of this:

Chicago is in Cook County. Chicago Suburbs are in Cook County. The Chicagoland mMSA as defined by D.C. includes Cook county plus two nearby counties plus two nearby states for a total of 10M people. The point is the good folks up in DC have never set foot on most of the places they opine on. They have no idea that lumping counties 100 miles apart really doesn't tell census or anyone else what the reality of life is in any area of the United States -- especially if it is rural.

There is well over a million people living in the upcountry. Enjoy it.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:51 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
It is extremely difficult to envision an area of America where one has never ivied. Based strictly on text I can find, the Uplands or upcountry is a total of 10 counties. The Greenville Metropolitan Statistical Area, which includes Greenville County and the City of Greenville, consists of three counties: Greenville, Pickens and Laurens. The total combine population of the three counties exceeds 636,986 residents.

The Metropolitan Statistical Area, as defined by the United States Office of Management and Budget is used by the United States Census Bureau for statistical purpose only. As far as I am concerned the MSA is useless to answer real life questions. Chicago is a perfect example of this:

Chicago is in Cook County. Chicago Suburbs are in Cook County. The Chicagoland mMSA as defined by D.C. includes Cook county plus two nearby counties plus two nearby states for a total of 10M people. The point is the good folks up in DC have never set foot on most of the places they opine on. They have no idea that lumping counties 100 miles apart really doesn't tell census or anyone else what the reality of life is in any area of the United States -- especially if it is rural.

The nice thing about it is that it doesn't have that feel, at least from my perspective

Old 07-07-2012, 07:02 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post

Don't want to start a firestorm but, I think your characterization of "well over a million" is a little generous. While the Greenville chamber and board of realtors claim this as the gospel, the actual numbers are well below that level. The actual Greenville MSA is in the mid 600k level. In reality, the MSA should be in the 800k - 900k range (similar to Columbia) depending on how you define the area.

You mentioned 100 miles in your example which is about the distance from The North Carolina line to Georgia on I85. The total population of area that is over 1m but it is also a huge geographic area with little in common from one area to the next, not exactly a "metro" in the true sense of the word. That is why posters like Beckycat claim that the area does not feel like 1m residents, in really is not a 1m metro area. If you claim 100 miles of interstate for Greenville as one metro, then SC would have 2 metros over 1m (Columbia being the other metro).

Another example is Charlotte. The official metro is almost 1.9m residents. While this may seem large, the area feels larger than 1.9m because the expanded area, including counties adjacent to Meck which are not in the official metro, totals about 2.4m.

Another way to compare metro areas to see how realistic the numbers are is to look at total workforce, total households, total leasable sq feet (office, industrila, retail), and some growth patterns. While they will not always correspond, you may be able to pick out statistics that raise questions about the data. It is a little deeper analysis but, to simply say that the upcountry of SC is over 1m is way too simplistic and in no way reflects the size of the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area