U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-20-2012, 06:35 AM

3,178 posts, read 3,373,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
That's not worth responding too. You're too far off with your head in the clouds yet in the sand at the same time.
Am I? Positive thinking has worked for me. I'm not miserable here and live here by choice. Thinking positive could help you leave here, so you can be in the area you love. Being pessimistic fuels failure. Think positive. If you can't, at least don't speak negative constantly. Actually, that statement is right on.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 09:49 AM

1,452 posts, read 768,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Am I? Positive thinking has worked for me. I'm not miserable here and live here by choice. Thinking positive could help you leave here, so you can be in the area you love. Being pessimistic fuels failure. Think positive. If you can't, at least don't speak negative constantly. Actually, that statement is right on.
I am very positive thank you...however I'm also realistic, especially when it comes to things around here. That is why I'm very 'positive' about where I'm moving to.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
I am very positive thank you...however I'm also realistic, especially when it comes to things around here. That is why I'm very 'positive' about where I'm moving to.
That's great, but remember your opinions are just that; and are influenced by your beliefs. Doesn't make them the gospel. Most that live here like it based on numbers increasing not decreasing.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:42 PM

55 posts, read 63,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GvegasProud View Post
Well...

I cant speak for Chapel Hill...though I hear it is beautiful. When I lived in Raleigh...it felt like every other city. Ok Downtown. Ok subdivisions. Everything was fine...nothing more. To me there was nothing out of the ordinary about it. And I'm sure thats exactly what a lot of folks are looking for.

Here in Greenville I feel like something genuinely special is happening. People are genuinely invested in their community. There is a spirit about this place that is really great. Good things are happening. And not just downtown.

To me, Greenville is not too big, it's not too small...it's just right. And there is a goodness about the place I have not felt in other places. Let me give you an example...the first few months we lived here after moving from DC, my wife asked me to come and look at her car. When I asked her why, she said people kept waving at her and she thought there might be something wrong. Turns out it was just people in our neighborhood waving as she passed by. That doesn't happen in most places.

Another example...I was in a little neighborhood diner and I forgot my wallet...the waitress looked at me and said...don't worry about it sweetie. Next time. I had never been there before! Again, this doesn't happen in a lot of places.

Chalk both those examples up to random occurrences maybe...but there are several times a month my wife and I point go specific instances and say "wow...that would have never happened where we're from". They are nearly all positive and she is from about 20 miles south of Raleigh.

One person mentioned traffic in an earlier post...when I read it I laughed out loud. Sure there are some parts to avoid...but "rush hour" doesn't really exist here. And it's not near what it was in Raleigh Durham.

Another poster mentioned schools...we have had no issues. We live in North Main, which admittedly a nicer area, but the schools here are terrific. Our child will go to Greenville High with rich kids, poor kids, black kids, and white kids and we're pretty happy about that.

The cost of living here is great. Our house would be over a million dollars in the neighborhood we used to live in the big city. It cost us 300k here. Cost of living in Raleigh isn't bad...but it's better here.

The location...can't beat it. Beach, mountains, lakes etc. It's all here. I've driven to Charleston for a day at the beach. Driven to Asheville for dinner. Those two places could not be more different...but they are close enough for a day trip. In Raleigh you're a little closer to the beach but that's about it. You've also got Charlotte and Atlanta right down the road...with a bunch of charming small southern towns in between.

The last thing I will say is, I travel all over for work...and whenever I land at GSP I have this feeling of calm that washes over me. I have never had that before. Not 800 miles away where I grew up. Not in the city I moved from. And definitely not in Raleigh Durham.

I work remotely and could live anywhere in the United States but I choose to live here. It's a special place...and a great place to raise a family. C'mon down and see what you think.

How's that?
This is one of the best, most thoughtful and well written posts on Greenville that I've seen on these boards...or anywhere else. Bravo...and couldn't agree more.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:16 PM

2,978 posts, read 2,403,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
As for your comments about Whole Foods and naturopathic medicine, I'm not sure how they relate to the OP's questions. Did they mention that they want an area with multiple Whole Foods stores and ND's, or are you interjecting your own desires?
The subject is about the differences between two areas. Anything that pertains to what's different is on topic. The more wide-ranging the discussion, the more complete the comparison is.

There are a lot of people who will read this thread seeking information. Many would find it vitally important to know the situation with naturopathic medicine and Whole Foods stores ... especially since the situation is completely opposite in the two locations being discussed.

Once again, this forum wears it's censorship on it's sleeve.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:24 AM

5,402 posts, read 5,946,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
The subject is about the differences between two areas. Anything that pertains to what's different is on topic. The more wide-ranging the discussion, the more complete the comparison is.

There are a lot of people who will read this thread seeking information. Many would find it vitally important to know the situation with naturopathic medicine and Whole Foods stores ... especially since the situation is completely opposite in the two locations being discussed.
Why would it matter if there is one Whole Foods or three? The point is, that is available here.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Why would it matter if there is one Whole Foods or three? The point is, that is available here.
A poster said that there are tons of Whole Foods in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area versus only one in the entire Upstate, and that South Carolina banned naturopathic medicine whereas North Carolina allows it.

The poster was essentially scolded that no one asked, and that there was no evidence that anyone would be interested. (I guess some people can read minds.)

This thread will live on in perpetuity as a source of information for anyone considering the two areas. There are lots of people interested in organic food shopping and alternative medicine. They usually want to know how well an area will support their health choices. Having only one Whole Foods vs. several (drive-time issue), and no naturopathic medicine available is a reasonable concern for some.

Since this thread was created for the purpose of discussing differences between the two areas, I have to ask why some get so bent out of shape over factual information? If the facts were reversed and there were more Whole Foods stores in the Upstate, and if SC had naturopathic medicine and NC did not, no one would have objected to it being posted.

You'd be busting your buttons with pride, judging from all the rah-rah stuff that gets posted here, no matter how legit the source. The most insignificant facts are welcome as long as it paints the Upstate in a positive light. If anyone brings up a subject where the Upstate suffers by comparison, they are shouted down.

The insecurity on display in this forum is overwhelming at times.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:18 AM

No place can please everyone, and that's ok.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
No place can please everyone, and that's ok.
Exactly. The greatest places in the world don't have everything. And it is okay.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:53 PM

374 posts, read 315,606 times
Quote:

You'd be busting your buttons with pride, judging from all the rah-rah stuff that gets posted here, no matter how legit the source. The most insignificant facts are welcome as long as it paints the Upstate in a positive light. If anyone brings up a subject where the Upstate suffers by comparison, they are shouted down.

The insecurity on display in this forum is overwhelming at times.
Realisic discussion is uncomfortable for a small percentage of the group here. It's actually comical at times, to borderline delusional.

Enjoy reading honest feedback....Thank you!

Quote:
Exactly. The greatest places in the world don't have everything. And it is okay.
Spot on....many reps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area