Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 10:46 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,609,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Skyliner is 100 percent correct. 300 Garlington Rd. I have very close ties.
Red, help me out. What types of engineering? I see a lot of links related to software engineering in California but no mention of Greenville on the GE Sites. Is there anything to look at? Also looked at job posting and just saw a handful. Not being difficult, just trying to learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 11:28 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
Quote:
The facility we’re in right now is the world’s largest gas turbine manufacturing facility, and it’s also the headquarters of GE Engineering for our energy business.
Source: Innovation: GE Energy in Greenville

Old 07-20-2012, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Thanks, so it is for a GE division and not all of GE. Still a good business.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:37 AM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Red, help me out. What types of engineering? I see a lot of links related to software engineering in California but no mention of Greenville on the GE Sites. Is there anything to look at? Also looked at job posting and just saw a handful. Not being difficult, just trying to learn.
I'm affiliated. Yes it's here.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:14 PM

12 posts, read 14,792 times
My tip when you are moving to a different town is always to check the place beforehand. When we moved from DC to Florida, we drove (ouch!) a couple of times before we decided exactly where to move. Greenville and Columbia are so close from each other that you should take some time and visit the area. Downtown is always a great choice for those big-but-not-huge cities. In Greenville, we stayed at the Hampton Inn & Suites Greenville RiverPlace Downtown. It will give you an idea of how is everything.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:47 PM

38 posts, read 59,377 times
It would be R & D. Maybe even computer programming. Curious as to the conflicting reports on traffic issues in your area. And how humid does it get there compared to say - Florida or Houston?

Old 07-21-2012, 05:01 PM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Thanks, so it is for a GE division and not all of GE. Still a good business.
Sorry for the late response, but yes you are correct. It is for GE Energy which is the most profitable part of GE, I also think it's the largest division. Some of the GE Energy sites are overseas, so it's global.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Sorry for the late response, but yes you are correct. It is for GE Energy which is the most profitable part of GE, I also think it's the largest division. Some of the GE Energy sites are overseas, so it's global.
It is a good division. Energy will be a much larger part of the economy in the future. How does this group fit in terms of revenue and employment count.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:23 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madetomom View Post
And how humid does it get there compared to say - Florida or Houston?
While it can get humid during the summer (this week being an example), it doesn't even register compared to coastal areas at all. I grew up on the central Gulf Coast - I know what REAL humidity is!

Old 07-21-2012, 05:25 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
While it can get humid during the summer (this week being an example), it doesn't even register compared to coastal areas at all. I grew up on the central Gulf Coast - I know what REAL humidity is!
Having spent 20 years in FL before moving here, it doesn't even feel humid here. Another big difference is that it actually cools down at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area