U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-25-2007, 10:33 PM

20 posts, read 39,831 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have 2 small children and we Love it here in Spartanburg. I have lived in Greenville and my work requires me to be in both Greenville and Spartanburg. We chose to move to Spartanburg and we made the right choice. We have met several couples that have moved here too and they feel the same way. One of my children attends a private school and the other will start next year. The Schools are excellent, people are friendly, the community offers most everything we want. Check out Bert Sperling's site, Spartanburg is rated (2007) as the best city to live in South Carolina. Its number 48 in the country and no other city in South Carolina came close. Greenville was next at #98. I think the rating will give you an independant analysis and tell you why the rating is what it is. We can argue back and forth with our prejudices on this site, but independant analysis by people who are paid to decide may give you an interesting objective look. We also have friends who are from Chattanooga and they live downtown in a loft and they love it. I hope you decide to locate in Spartanburg and wish you all the best. I'm sure you will find it as great a place to live as we have.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 02:14 AM

5,409 posts, read 9,463,903 times
I encourage everyone to look at the two cities side-by-side before making a decision. I think you'll have a better/clearer understanding than just listening to those of us who have lived in both places and have strongly opposing perspectives. I personally see Greenville as being head and shoulders above Spartanburg in every way. Greenville has a bright future as well with such great planning (past and present) already paying dividends. I also see Spartanburg making positive strides to become a better city and solidifying its future as a good place to live and work, but it has lots of catching up to do in many areas of living I enjoy. As I have said before, take those ratings sites with a grain of salt. They are paid to rate places all over the nation and I have found them to be very inconsistent many times. Also listen to people who have made sacrifices to live where they love living. That speaks volumes.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:16 PM

20 posts, read 39,831 times
We obviously don't want what Greenville has or we wouldn't have left. We don't have to "catch up"!! We don't want the congestion, the higher cost of living and the feeling that we always have to be bigger, faster, stronger or anything else. If you feel this way you'll always lose to someone if you will open your eyes and look past 30 miles or so. Maybe you should compare yourself to Charlotte or Columbia and then you'll Lose everytime in the categories you have chosen, but you would then win in every category I choose. Its relative to what you want, but I don't understand why you are as Carolina girl says condesending to Spartanburg and call us mostly a bunch with thug mentality. Its rediculous and it discredits what you write that might have been meaningful otherwise.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:23 AM

Just sharing my opinions and not trying to attack anyone with different perspectives. You and I seem to have plenty of experience in both cities and yet we have come to much different conclusions about them. I believe we can agree that both cities are good places to live and provide plenty of options for families. I have not attempted to compare either of these cities with larger ones because the original post did not ask for other comparisons. I merely stated what I feel and why. From the earliest post on this forum, I have said people interested in knowing more about various Upstate and SC cities should visit them in person before deciding. I feel this is the only way anyone can be at peace about their decision. In this case, you have two places that offer lots of positives. I have stated positives for both places and based on firsthand experience have chosen one city over the other because in my opinion it is far superior in most ways. Others will disagree and that is fine. Most do not disagree however, therefore my thoughts are justified.

As for "congestion," I see traffic congestion in both cities daily, yet it is nothing when compared with larger cities. Woodruff Road sees the most time-delaying traffic, yet that is limited to short times during the day and still is not nearly as bad as the traffic everywhere in larger cities. This is my perspective based on lots of experience on the roads in many cities. I have heard many newcomers say the same; "People in Greenville don't know what real traffic is." Since these are newcomers, I will let them decide for themselves.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:41 PM

215 posts, read 467,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Just sharing my opinions and not trying to attack anyone with different perspectives. You and I seem to have plenty of experience in both cities and yet we have come to much different conclusions about them. I believe we can agree that both cities are good places to live and provide plenty of options for families. I have not attempted to compare either of these cities with larger ones because the original post did not ask for other comparisons. I merely stated what I feel and why. From the earliest post on this forum, I have said people interested in knowing more about various Upstate and SC cities should visit them in person before deciding. I feel this is the only way anyone can be at peace about their decision. In this case, you have two places that offer lots of positives. I have stated positives for both places and based on firsthand experience have chosen one city over the other because in my opinion it is far superior in most ways. Others will disagree and that is fine. Most do not disagree however, therefore my thoughts are justified.

As for "congestion," I see traffic congestion in both cities daily, yet it is nothing when compared with larger cities. Woodruff Road sees the most time-delaying traffic, yet that is limited to short times during the day and still is not nearly as bad as the traffic everywhere in larger cities. This is my perspective based on lots of experience on the roads in many cities. I have heard many newcomers say the same; "People in Greenville don't know what real traffic is." Since these are newcomers, I will let them decide for themselves.
Not to choose sides, but Skyliner when reading your posts in this thread....it did come off as you were bashing Spartanburg as being inferior to Greenville. The thread started said that previously living in Seneca they had experience with the Greenville area....but not the Spartanburg area. This would have been the perfect opportunity to convey unbiased knowledge in the Upstate area by showing that Spartanburg is a great city....I mean these two cities have always been linked together....from when people talk about the upstate to the airport. I know you mentioned some things about the city of Spartanburg but it was in such a negative tone that if i hadn't been there personally then i would think it was one of the worst places in the world. It wasn't 1 good comment about S'burg from you that wasn't followed by a couple of "by here's why G'ville is better" phrases. Any growth in the area is good...it doesn't all have to be in Greenville for Greenville prosper. Look at Concord, Gastonia, Rock Hill and other places around Charlotte. As Greenville become more populated and spread out....Spartanburg....not Greer will reap the most from it because of how they are choosing to grow slower and smarter. I know you are entitled to your opinion but relax on Spartanburg.....when someone wasn't details about G'ville give it to them....but don't undermine other area's in the state or region because you think that everyone should move to Greenville.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:06 PM
PHX

24 posts, read 44,198 times
Default I love both places!

Hello!

I was in both Greenville and Spartanburg last week looking at houses. I also went to Easley. You cannot compare any one of these places. They are unique, and each has something special to offer. I feel that over-development is right around the corner if the land is lost to developers. This will bring more people, more cars, and more pollution. I have lived in Albuquerque, NM, Las Vegas, NV and Phoenix, AZ. I have seen what over-development does to a place. You learn to live with it, and you learn to accept that no matter where they live, some people will always find fault with others, and their environment, and in turn, cause trouble. You can't avoid it. It's life. If you are a great person with an open mind, you and your family will add to what is already good about an area, and diminish the negative. Be a beacon of light and you will be happy wherever you land.

Greenville=high energy
Spartanburg=moderate energy
Easley=low energy

Old 10-30-2007, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaSouth803 View Post
Not to choose sides, but...
You're joking, right?

Old 11-01-2007, 10:24 PM

215 posts, read 467,694 times
^^^

Nope...i'm serious with it....although what i said seems like i'm siding with someone else...i'm not...i'm basing that from what i read in this thread by you. That's why i lead it with the phrase that i did. It's just an observation that i made...just use more tact next time and you won't come across so brash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area