Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 02:42 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,844,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
I don't play the statistics game.........
I know, you play the 'I think this is true because I say it's true' anecdote game.

Quote:
You are right though, we can argue back and forth about this all day long the fact still remains that South Carolina and the city of Greenville are behind in creating job diversity and a decent wage for the masses to live on. When I say a decent wage for the masses.........I mean better paying jobs for everyone not just an elite few who happen to hold one of the limited management jobs in this city!
Median household income is "the masses." It's what you get if you line up every household in order of income and pick the one right in the middle. It's not affected so much by incredibly high outliers the way an "average" figure is.

I agree there are more diverse industry in New York than in Greenville - It has to be when you're talking about a city with 160 times the population. But I've clearly shown that for "the masses," they're going to have a higher standard of living in Greenville because the cost of living in New York so far outpaces the median household income.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:52 PM

If you want to play the anecdote game, I moved out of northern New Jersey because it's so incredibly expensive and the salaries do not anywhere near keep up. Out of all the people I know who I went to high school with, my wife and I are the only ones who have been able to buy a house, and that is entirely because we live in Greenville where your dollar goes twice as far.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:54 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,547,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Median household income is "the masses."

I agree there are more diverse industry in New York than in Greenville - It has to be when you're talking about a city with 160 times the population. But I've clearly shown that for "the masses," they're going to have a higher standard of living in Greenville because the cost of living in New York so far outpaces the median household income.
That is what my whole point is based on.....lack of diverse industry in Greenville. People put on rose colored glasses when they hear about the cost of living here........not realizing that if they ever find themselves out of work.........they will find themselves with limited job opportunities in Greenville. No, what you have clearly shown is that it takes 2 people in Greenville (husband and wife) each working two jobs that pay $26,500 + or - per year in order for the household to make $53,000 + or - a year in income.

Therefore what that means is that they are making $26,500 per year in income individually..........in my opinion that kind of money is not decent for an adult with bills to live off of.......in Greenville people are considered lucky if they are paid $30,000 per year! You are preaching to the choir when you are talking about cost of living in NYC. I have had numerous debates with family, friends and forum members on that same topic but again this is about what they should expect when relocating to Greenville, SC.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
If you want to play the anecdote game, I moved out of northern New Jersey because it's so incredibly expensive and the salaries do not anywhere near keep up. Out of all the people I know who I went to high school with, my wife and I are the only ones who have been able to buy a house, and that is entirely because we live in Greenville where your dollar goes twice as far.
Exactly......you have both your income and your wifes income that is the reason your dollars stretch twice as far in Greenville. What about the masses of people living in Greenville.........suffering with the low paying limited job opportunities..........making $26,000 per year (peanuts) don't have a spouse and have kids to feed?

Old 07-07-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
No, what you have clearly shown is that it takes 2 people in Greenville (husband and wife) each working two jobs that pay $26,500 + or - per year in order for the household to make $53,000 + or - a year in income.
I compared apples to apples. If you want to suggest that New York has more one-income households, please tell me where you read that.

Quote:
Therefore what that means is that they are making $26,500 per year in income individually
Hearsay. Show some evidence.

Quote:
in Greenville people are considered lucky if they are paid $30,000 per year! You are preaching to the choir when you are talking about cost of living in NYC.
You keep citing these numbers that you pull out of thin air.

Quote:
I have had numerous debates with family, friends and forum members on that same topic but again this is about what they should expect when relocating to Greenville, SC.
As I have shown, they should expect their income to decrease by 33% and their expenses to be cut in half.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Exactly......you have both your income and your wifes income that is the reason your dollars stretch twice as far in Greenville. What about the masses of people living in Greenville.........suffering with the low paying limited job opportunities..........making $26,000 per year (peanuts) don't have a spouse and have kids to feed?
There you go again claiming "low paying" jobs in Greenville. I have shown this to be false.

Are you suggesting that more Greenville households have two parents working while more New York households only have one parent working? Where did you read that?

Let's do the comparison with per capita income:

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...rd=&_industry=

Greenville, SC per capita income: $26,514

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/ACSSAFFFacts?_event=ChangeGeoContext&geo_id=16000U S3651000&_geoContext=01000US|04000US45|16000US4530 850&_street=&_county=new+york&_cityTown=new+york&_ state=04000US36&_zip=&_lang=en&_sse=on&ActiveGeoDi v=geoSelect&_useEV=&pctxt=fph&pgsl=010&_submenuId= factsheet_1&ds_name=ACS_2007_3YR_SAFF&_ci_nbr=null &qr_name=null&reg=null%3Anull&_keyword=&_indust ry=

New York, NY per capita income: $28,610

New York's per capita income is less than 8% higher than Greenville, SC.

8% income increase..... 100% cost of living increase.

Yep. Greenville, Sc gives you a much higher standard of living.

Last edited by gvsteve; 07-07-2009 at 03:14 PM..

Old 07-07-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I compared apples to apples. If you want to suggest that New York has more one-income households, please tell me where you read that.

Hearsay. Show some evidence.

You keep citing these numbers that you pull out of thin air.

As I have shown, they should expect their income to decrease by 33% and their expenses to be cut in half.
I don't need statistics or have to pull numbers out of thin air.......South Carolina is a low wage state and that includes Greenville and everyone in the US knows this to be a fact. You keep mentioning the standard of living in Greenville. No one is arguing that Greenville is beautiful and offers nice affordable housing along with natural beauty. That is what brought me here in the first place. However job diversity is a completely different topic. I have gone up against many of my fellow New Yorkers when they try and bad mouth the south and have told them that the quality of life is better here then in NYC.

There are many who by the way I have had debates with and they will not relocate to the south because they know that job diversity is very limited here. I just happen to be an open minded person who believes that we must take chances in life and give things a chance before we make a decision. Now that I am living here in Greenville I see both sides of the coin. I see the side as someone who came down here with a NYC salary.......then I see the side as someone who was without work in Greenville. We will just have to disagree on this one

Old 07-07-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
I don't need statistics or have to pull numbers out of thin air.......South Carolina is a low wage state and that includes Greenville and everyone in the US knows this to be a fact.
Everyone can look up and see that while the wages are slightly lower this pales compared to the 50% cheaper cost of living.

Another quality of life issue: I always like to make jokes to my dad about his 2 hour commute to Jersey City. Greenville doesn't have outrageous rents requiring you to have outrageous commutes. On a good day I can drive to work in less than 10 minutes.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Everyone can look up and see that while the wages are slightly lower this pales compared to the 50% cheaper cost of living.

Another quality of life issue: I always like to make jokes to my dad about his 2 hour commute to Jersey City. Greenville doesn't have outrageous rents requiring you to have outrageous commutes. On a good day I can drive to work in less than 10 minutes.
I agree with you there. Although I utilized the trains a lot when living in NYC. In fact one of my favorite places was the Newport Mall in NJ.........used to take the path train there from Manhattan. I do not miss the NYC traffic though. As far as whether it pales to the 50% cost of living......that is subjective and depends on who you ask. I was in a debate the other day with someone who is currently living in Atlanta but was born and raised in NYC. They told me that they would rather deal with the traffic and high cost of living in NYC then live here in the south on half of the income they are used to making. My answer to them was.......there is always a trade off in life, no place is perfect. You move south you will have to accept the pay cut and lack of job diversity.........you live in NYC you have to accept the traffic and high cost of living. I am not in denial about the good/bad in Greenville or NYC. If it is money and job diversity people are seeking.........they need to live in NYC. If it is better quality of life people are looking for then they need to live here in the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area