Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 06:37 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
Are you serious? This is one of the most selfish posts ever. Those ten people are devastated. Have you ever been laid off? I have, and it's no fun at all. I am sorry, but I do agree, you are crazy.
He's young but in his lifetime he will experience a layoff at some point; if not several unless he starts his own business and then he may experience a slow down and have to wonder if he should close up shop. I was laid off in 91, 09 and 11. In 91 I was out of work for 4 months and back then that was a long time even though times were tough. It took me a year to find a good job once I moved here and I kept that for almost 5 years. I happened into something online after that and just lost that one in September. Once those people get over their layoff they will find just how hard it is today to get hired in this town. Sure Greenville's UE rate is lower than most of the state, but there are still thousands looking for work in this county competing with each other for the few jobs they can staff.

At some point his tone will change but until then I just ignore his crazy comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 06:51 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
At some point his tone will change but until then I just ignore his crazy comments.
Don't count on it. The vast majority of my comments on this forum are helpful. However, you're right that some of them do come off a bit looney. I wouldn't be g-man without them.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:24 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,018,666 times
Unfortunately those laid off will find their unemployment benefits in this state (already some of the lowest in the country) cut back by the pro-business governor of this state because the companies (the very ones that laid folks off and signed for them to receive their umemployment benefits) whined and complained about their unemployment insurance being so high.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:29 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,138,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Don't count on it. The vast majority of my comments on this forum are helpful. However, you're right that some of them do come off a bit looney. I wouldn't be g-man without them.
Hey, why not answer the question? What do you do for a living? Could you find a real job in a month? We are talking manufacturing where you make real money.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:23 PM

696 posts, read 1,335,605 times
I was laid off from my job in Michigan, which led to my moving my family to Philly to take a job there, and lucked up on landing a job later in Greenville. It was easily the scariest period of time my family has had to endure. There's no way to quantify how a layoff affects a family unless you've experienced it.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:38 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruvidu View Post
Hey, why not answer the question? What do you do for a living? Could you find a real job in a month? We are talking manufacturing where you make real money.

This is sadly the downside of GSP's heavy reliance on manufacturing as an economic base. Just ask Flint, Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, Youngstown, Akron, Toledo (all of Ohio haha) how that worked out for them. It's no doubt tragic for those that will have to figure out how to continue their previous standard of living with what will probably be half as many financial resources. At least down here there's a chance of finding work period. May not be 40k a year with benefits and vacation time but it's better than nothing. At some point GSP's industrial base will dry up and there won't be enough pro-business tax policies in the world to keep manufacturing jobs around. If the Midwest could talk they'd say "enjoy em while you got em" haha.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:55 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
Are you serious? This is one of the most selfish posts ever. Those ten people are devastated. Have you ever been laid off? I have, and it's no fun at all. I am sorry, but I do agree, you are crazy.
Even though the post did come off a bit harsh with not much clarification which I apologized for, I was being serious. Let's see if I can say it a bit nicer with more clarification this time around. The reason I can live with these ten people being laid off is because it doesn't affect the local economy or add to the unemployment rate. This doesn't mean I think the families won't be devastated. Of course they'll be (who wouldn't?) but I am not going to get worried about this tiny layoff happening. I have no reason to. However, if it was a lot higher number of jobs being cut which could affect the local economy then I would change my tune. If I get bashed for my opinion on this issue then so be it. I am not changing my stance though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruvidu View Post
Could you find a real job in a month? We are talking manufacturing where you make real money.
If I was trained properly for it probably. Large manufacturing companies like BMW, Michelin, ZF Group, Bosch Rexroth, etc are all expanding and hiring right now. Some are even holding job fairs: http://www2.wspa.com/list/job-news/ There are plenty of smaller manufacturers throughout the upstate region expanding and hiring also.

Last edited by g-man430; 07-27-2012 at 11:57 PM..

Old 07-28-2012, 04:52 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,759,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Even though the post did come off a bit harsh with not much clarification which I apologized for, I was being serious. Let's see if I can say it a bit nicer with more clarification this time around. The reason I can live with these ten people being laid off is because it doesn't affect the local economy or add to the unemployment rate. This doesn't mean I think the families won't be devastated. Of course they'll be (who wouldn't?) but I am not going to get worried about this tiny layoff happening. I have no reason to. However, if it was a lot higher number of jobs being cut which could affect the local economy then I would change my tune. If I get bashed for my opinion on this issue then so be it. I am not changing my stance though.

If I was trained properly for it probably. Large manufacturing companies like BMW, Michelin, ZF Group, Bosch Rexroth, etc are all expanding and hiring right now. Some are even holding job fairs: Job News | WSPA There are plenty of smaller manufacturers throughout the upstate region expanding and hiring also.
You should consider not making anymore comments about layoffs. You don't know what you are talking about. Stick to subjects that you have experienced.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:14 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,293,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
This is sadly the downside of GSP's heavy reliance on manufacturing as an economic base. Just ask Flint, Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, Youngstown, Akron, Toledo (all of Ohio haha) how that worked out for them. It's no doubt tragic for those that will have to figure out how to continue their previous standard of living with what will probably be half as many financial resources. At least down here there's a chance of finding work period. May not be 40k a year with benefits and vacation time but it's better than nothing. At some point GSP's industrial base will dry up and there won't be enough pro-business tax policies in the world to keep manufacturing jobs around. If the Midwest could talk they'd say "enjoy em while you got em" haha.
Greenville and most of the south already had manufacturing dry up and disappear when almost all of the textile and furniture manufacturing jobs went overseas.

Greenville successfully made it through that tough period by recruiting new manufacturers in different industries. Greenville was able to attract more businesses due to its pro-business climate. The midwest has continued to struggle because the cost of employing people there became higher than the value of their labor.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:01 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,844,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
I don't want to turn this into a political discussion, but there's a big difference between South Carolina and the Midwest. The UAW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area