U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2012, 05:18 PM

7 posts, read 21,657 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the Union Bleachery community in Greenville, SC off of highway 253 and Old Buncombe Road. This area is home to the U.S. Finishing plant which caught fire in 2003 destroying nearly half of the plant and resulted in thousands of gallons of water containing unknown chemicals to flow onto the ground, into the air, and into Langston Creek which feeds directly into the Reedy River less than a mile from the plant. It was after this fire that the plant officially became abandoned and all cleanup efforts were aborted until 2012 when the US EPA added the U.S. Finishing Site known as Cone Mills to the US Superfund list. The Superfund program is a US EPA based program that cleans up the nations worst contaminated areas. The level of contamination and risk to the public and the environment must be very high in order for a site to be placed into the Superfund program.

I have read thousands of pages of EPA and SC DHEC reports regarding the site, the contaminants found, the levels of those contaminants, and the possible health implications. I am posting this because I am looking for individuals familiar with the area to give me feedback as to what they know about the contamination in this area and if they have had any types of health implications that they feel is because of contamination in the area. This area is highly contaminated from Air contamination, surface soil contamination, chemicals in the dust, groundwater, fish, contaminates in the two lakes, and in the rivers bordering the site. Some of the chemicals found at the site in the above mentioned mediums were Asbestos, Arsenic, Cyanide, Chromium, Lead, Mercury, PCBs, and numerous other chemicals.

I am looking for information from non-government sources regarding the history of this area and your personal experiences. I welcome anyone to ask questions of request more detail as to my knowledge of the sites history, documents I have in my possession, information about samples that have been taken at the site of the air, soil, and groundwater, etc. I appreciate and look forward to hearing from all of you about this area and answering any questions that you may have. This is a passion of mine and I would like to educate as many people as possible about this area.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 07:40 PM

19,983 posts, read 18,910,163 times
Reedy River, north of Langston Creek, runs by several industries at Sulphur Springs Road. It is used mostly for warehouse and distribution. I think that would be minimal impact.

The Reedy River, from Langston Creek to its mouth in Lake Greenwood, may have carried chemicals downstream. This reason is why not many people are allowed into the river.

The site still has part of the structure remaining and the possibility of chemicals in the ground. The structure, a total loss, remains to be demolished completely. Cleanup of chemicals underground would take a few years.

The neighborhood has gentrification of residents, likely exposed to the mill's production for decades.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:59 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,112,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The Reedy River, from Langston Creek to its mouth in Lake Greenwood, may have carried chemicals downstream. This reason is why not many people are allowed into the river.
I saw 2 kids swimming in the Reedy River below the falls today. Not just wading, but swimming, fully submerged at times.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:21 AM

7,987 posts, read 11,219,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfergus4 View Post
I grew up in the Union Bleachery community in Greenville, SC off of highway 253 and Old Buncombe Road. This area is home to the U.S. Finishing plant which caught fire in 2003 destroying nearly half of the plant and resulted in thousands of gallons of water containing unknown chemicals to flow onto the ground, into the air, and into Langston Creek which feeds directly into the Reedy River less than a mile from the plant. It was after this fire that the plant officially became abandoned and all cleanup efforts were aborted until 2012 when the US EPA added the U.S. Finishing Site known as Cone Mills to the US Superfund list. The Superfund program is a US EPA based program that cleans up the nations worst contaminated areas. The level of contamination and risk to the public and the environment must be very high in order for a site to be placed into the Superfund program.

I have read thousands of pages of EPA and SC DHEC reports regarding the site, the contaminants found, the levels of those contaminants, and the possible health implications. I am posting this because I am looking for individuals familiar with the area to give me feedback as to what they know about the contamination in this area and if they have had any types of health implications that they feel is because of contamination in the area. This area is highly contaminated from Air contamination, surface soil contamination, chemicals in the dust, groundwater, fish, contaminates in the two lakes, and in the rivers bordering the site. Some of the chemicals found at the site in the above mentioned mediums were Asbestos, Arsenic, Cyanide, Chromium, Lead, Mercury, PCBs, and numerous other chemicals.

I am looking for information from non-government sources regarding the history of this area and your personal experiences. I welcome anyone to ask questions of request more detail as to my knowledge of the sites history, documents I have in my possession, information about samples that have been taken at the site of the air, soil, and groundwater, etc. I appreciate and look forward to hearing from all of you about this area and answering any questions that you may have. This is a passion of mine and I would like to educate as many people as possible about this area.
Wow. That list of toxins and chemicals is quite lengthy. Sadly, Greenville has numerous areas like this, due to its textile past.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:19 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,133,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
I saw 2 kids swimming in the Reedy River below the falls today. Not just wading, but swimming, fully submerged at times.
there are signs posted that you should not swim/wade in the water and that it is not safe, although I see kids and adults in the water frequently down by the falls. Its pretty, but I wouldn't let my children get in it(If I had any, lol)

Old 08-19-2012, 08:16 AM

Default More Information For You All

Below is a link to one of many large scale studies done by the EPA to address the contamination at the site. I will also give the official EPA website address for this so you can view all the documents. The contamination here is very bad. One of the "Areas of Concern" with the contamination is the Reedy River Floodplain Area where they actually now have the Swamp Rabbit Trail. Everything dumped their which was mainly polluted boiler coal ash would still be there on top of the soil blowing in the wind for people to breath in. A lot of the mill village was built on top of a landfill that the mill used and never lined. I do not understand why it has taken so long for the EPA to begin cleanup on this site. The other thing that bothers me is the EPA came in and removed the unstable area of the building but now they have taken their campers and machinery and left. They have no plans of finishing the job in the near future that I can find anywhere.

http://www.epa.gov/superfund/sites/docrec/pdoc1835.pdf

The link below is to the main EPA page for this site. It talks about the history and also about Duke Energy disposing of transformers containing PCBs into the lake with the full knowledge of the mill and the mill then knowingly gave fishing permits to people knowing the severe levels of contamination. The safety level for Chromium 6 in water is 50ppb anything above that is toxic. Levels of Chromium 6 at this site have been detected as high as 3,000,000ppb which is 60,000 times the limit considered safe.

Site Profile

A lot of samples have been taken in this area and are continuing to be taken however the neighborhood is not. My father is very sick. He has lived beside the mill all of his life and worked there so he has been in constant exposure. Does anyone know who I could contact to analyze a soil sample for me if I take one from his home, a dust sample from under the refrigerator, and things of that nature. If someone could give me a name and contact information I would appreciate that. Sometimes you have to do your own investigation. I know these chemicals are in the air, soil, and in the homes in this area because of the records and because the residents received a notice from a lawyer back in the 1980's telling them if they sold their homes in the future they must reveal the land it sits on is contaminated. Thank you for the feedback, help, and interest in this topic.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:16 AM

Default Follow Up

It has been a few months and now with the new year I wanted to check in and see if anyone had any comments or concerns based on the data and links I've submitted. I am trying to now get community risk questions together and I can help form these questions with the help of even non community residents. What I need is for anyone with some knowledge to post here or to private message me with some ideas of how this site, its chemicals found there, as well as the chemicals found via the exposure route and what you all think from your own perspectives would be a critical question to formulate from the community as a concern for the ATSDR to answer. Once I get these questions I will post the very long detailed letter that I am forwarding to ATSDR, which is a section of the CDC that deals with the chemical effects on the environment and human health. In response to this letter they should come out to the community, do testing and research to answer these questions and give a detailed site history and determine how bad the contamination is as well as how far it extends into the Reedy River into downtown Greenville. They will then come to a conclusion which is generally very in-depth and over 100 pages for most moderate to complex sites which will be posted on their website at which time I will post a link on here. Thank you all for your help and feedback thus far. Please help me get to the bottom of this hopefully once and forall. My family was raised there and now we are all sick and my mother and father still live there a they cannot afford to move and my father is very sick and now my mother is beginning the early stages of his lung problem. Thank you all and Happy New Year!

Old 11-01-2013, 01:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,895 times
I am presently renting a home on Lester Ave,in the Bleachery Mill village.I am very concerned about the contamination levels,that currently exist here,and I am seeking any recent updates to soil samples taken in the village neighborhoods.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:07 PM

Default Soil Sample Information

Thank you for your response. I will review the records because I do have all of the DHEC and the EPA documents for the site with all of the sampling results. If you want to PM me your email address I can attach certain documents on send them to you that detail what is in the soil near your house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned Villager View Post
I am presently renting a home on Lester Ave,in the Bleachery Mill village.I am very concerned about the contamination levels,that currently exist here,and I am seeking any recent updates to soil samples taken in the village neighborhoods.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,025 times
Default Reedy River

I swam below Poe Mill & American Spinning in the Reedy in the early 50s. Got my ass whupped because I came home in different colors. My folks always knew where I had been swimming and the dye did not wash off easily. It took days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area