Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 08:36 PM

12,879 posts, read 18,736,837 times

Advertisements

A person who wants sex with the opposite sex and wants to get legally tied down with the opposite sex should have no more of a right to do that than a person who wants sex with the same sex and wants to get legally tied down with the same sex, assuming the opposite-sex person in the first scenario and the same-sex person in the second scenario want sex and want to get tied down with the person in their respective scenarios. Marriage should have a legal aspect and a religious aspect. My religion doesn't care what someone else's religion believes. My civil liberties will cease to be compromised by a bunch of Bible thumpers who claim they know what God wants because of what's in a book they claim was written by men inspired by God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 08:37 PM

422 posts, read 486,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Ok, even if you are right; what does it change other than soothing your ego? Still doesn't change the situation at hand. Does it? What will you gain?
I am right. Facts are not a matter of "if." This is not a competition, I'm not trying nor do I care to gain anything. If you said 2+2=5 then I can't correct you without having to gain something?

For someone who claims to not worry or waste time and energy on trivial matters you have an odd way of showing it.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:37 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,095,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddaVisser View Post
Marriage has NOT been historically been defined as 1 man/1 woman. There are numerous cultures that practice marital polygamy or polyandry or same sex marriage. Stop with the lies.
First of all, You responded to a quote to another poster. . Secondly, I'm not lying, and you stop name calling, or I will report you to a mod. You have name called in virtually every one of your posts. Are you not capable of civil discourse? Historically speaking in all societies and religions and cultures marriage has been 1 man/1 woman. Yes, there have been fringe groups and outliers, but the definition has been historically between man and woman.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:39 PM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
I'm a gay man and I LOVE Chick-Fil-A! Great service and great food and wow.....they never ask me if I'm gay before serving me with a friendly smile! I have respect for the company as they give their employees Sundays off. I might not be in full agreement with their owner, but the man has done something right! By the way, for those bashing him, you may want to look into how much this man donates to children's homes!
Kudos!

Old 08-01-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
I'm a gay man and I LOVE Chick-Fil-A! Great service and great food and wow.....they never ask me if I'm gay before serving me with a friendly smile! I have respect for the company as they give their employees Sundays off. I might not be in full agreement with their owner, but the man has done something right! By the way, for those bashing him, you may want to look into how much this man donates to children's homes!
You are an awesome poster, who's posts I have enjoyed reading for several years. I have judged you on your character, not your sexual orientation, gender, sex, etc. As I said, before, we can agree to disagree on some issues, and still be civil and cordial. The left can not do that; they believe that everyone should act, think and vote like them. If not, they will destroy you. They hate conservative blacks and conservative gays. See this thread as Exhibit A.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddaVisser;25446779[B
]Just because someone or an organization is Christian doesn't inherently mean they're anti-gay or anti-gay marriage. [/b]The issue people have is that their money has went to discriminatory groups whose goal is to lobby in order to deny a segment of the population the ability to marry the person they want.
I'm not "anti'gay" just because I believe in traditional marriage. Disagreement does not equal hate.

Here's a little test; now since is the interwebs, anyone can lie, so the honor system will have to be in affect: I have about 10 openly gay friends on facebook. How many Conservative Christian facebook friends do you have? Be honest.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:46 PM

924 posts, read 1,643,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Rebuttal underlined and italicized.
Plenty of people who disagree with me aren't bigots. To me a bigot is a person who meets the definition of the word bigot. If you oppose gay marriage, then chances are you are intolerant of any belief other than your own, and you want to inflict that belief on everyone else in this country. So I think 'bigot' matches the description to a T.

Why do you oppose gay marriage?

Old 08-01-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
First of all, You responded to a quote to another poster. . Secondly, I'm not lying, and you stop name calling, or I will report you to a mod. You have name called in virtually every one of your posts. Are you not capable of civil discourse? Historically speaking in all societies and religions and cultures marriage has been 1 man/1 woman. Yes, there have been fringe groups and outliers, but the definition has been historically between man and woman.
I responded to the quote I quoted which was yours.

Report me to a mod, as if I care. You're entirely too sensitive. I haven't name called you once but only said I wouldn't be fond as you as person if I knew you in real life. Telling someone to stop lying is not name calling.

You are blatantly wrong when you say historically marriage has been defined as 1 man and woman in all societies and religions. From Nyinbians of Nepal to the Marind-anim people of New Guinea, Ancient Romans, Greeks and Egyptians to Middle Eastern, African and South American tribes marriage hasn't been thought as solely 1 man and 1 woman. Even The Bible allows polygamy. WHat history books are you reading?

Old 08-01-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
Plenty of people who disagree with me aren't bigots. To me a bigot is a person who meets the definition of the word bigot. If you oppose gay marriage, then chances are you are intolerant of any belief other than your own, and you want to inflict that belief on everyone else in this country. So I think 'bigot' matches the description to a T.

Why do you oppose gay marriage?
How so? Disagreement does not equal hate. It has been shown time and time again in this thread that it is you guys, the far left that have demonized us for our beliefs. If I'm against Obama, you call me a "racist". If I'm pro life, you say that I am "against a womans right to choose and hate women." If I believe in traditional 1 man/1 woman marriage, I am a "bigot". You are extremely intolerant of anyone that has an opinion that differs from your own. You want to demonize us, silence us and ultimately if you can't convert us, you want to destroy us. That is very, very scarey and are finally standing up and saying "Enough with liberal intolerance."

I am against gay marriage because I am a Christian.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
I'm not "anti'gay" just because I believe in traditional marriage. Disagreement does not equal hate.

Here's a little test; now since is the interwebs, anyone can lie, so the honor system will have to be in affect: I have about 10 openly gay friends on facebook. How many Conservative Christian facebook friends do you have? Be honest.
That's the thing traditional marriage is myth perpetrated by religious people with no understanding of history.

Who counts how many of "X" friends they have as if you're keeping inventory in case someone accuses you of bigotry. I don't have gay friends or white friends or black friends or Christian friends. I have friends that happen to be gay, white, black, Christian. Muslim, atheist and every thing under the sun. They're simply friends. Sorry I don't keep a score card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area