Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 11:51 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,811,110 times

Advertisements

Took my kids to Standing Springs Park in Simpsonville (home to Discovery Island). The playground area is in serious decay. All the mulch has washed away (lot it over the sidewalks). Grass and weeds are growing everywhere. There is stagnant water and mud holes near the equipment. The sand in the toddler area is depleted.

Greenville County Rec used to do a great job maintaining the park. Is it a budget issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 01:12 PM

1,845 posts, read 2,763,213 times
Do you mean Southside park off Log Shoals Rd? Re: mulch washing, this probably happened with a recent storm, and should be tidied up in the next grounds maintenance cycle. The grass and weeds are a bigger concern, as well as the mud holes. I don't have any insight into the issues. It might be worth letting the staff know; this doesn't sound like it's up to the usual maintenance level of the county parks. Greenville Rec Contacts

Old 08-11-2012, 03:04 PM

Thanks Bikeoid, I did mean to say Southside park.

While I understand the storms and washing the mulch out, it is really more about neglect at this point. I will send a message to the link you gave me...Thanks!

Old 08-13-2012, 07:25 PM

Took Bikeoid's advice and wrote to Greenville Rec. They sent a manager and a team out to the park and said they were going to put together a plan to clean it up. Great news.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:11 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,542,634 times
Huzzah! Maybe at least local governments actually ARE responsive to their citizens after all!

Old 04-25-2013, 10:21 AM

I thought I would update this post after recently visiting SS park a few weeks ago. Greenville Rec has done a nice job cleaning things up, laying new sod and mulch. Looks very nice right now.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:29 AM

115 posts, read 264,559 times
Glad to hear they cleaned it up! We went there for the first time late spring/early summer last year and were unhappy with how dumpy it looked in relation to Greenville's other parks. I will have to take the kids by there again for another try.....Thanks for getting this to their attention!

Old 04-27-2013, 05:03 AM

15 posts, read 17,336 times
Hi,

we'll be moving soon to Simpsonville, so obviously this thread caught my attention :-). Would you know if there is a map available somewhere with all the playgrounds in the vicinity? Or will I just have to find them by luck and word of mouth?

Thanks,
Fran

Old 04-27-2013, 06:08 AM

1,845 posts, read 2,763,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlindrea View Post
Hi,

we'll be moving soon to Simpsonville, so obviously this thread caught my attention :-). Would you know if there is a map available somewhere with all the playgrounds in the vicinity? Or will I just have to find them by luck and word of mouth?
The information is scattered about:

Greenville County Park facilities No single map for these, but identified by approximate county location.

City of Greenville Parks finder - A good map, but for Greenville City parks only.

City of Simpsonville parks A list of parks, but not a map

Greenville Open Map - Heritage Park Map of both city and county parks around Simpsonville; playgrounds are indicated with a "Teeter Totter" symbol when zoomed in. In the "Find a Street" link, put "Playground near Simpsonville" and several will show up.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:43 AM

15 posts, read 17,336 times
Great info, thank you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area