Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 11:29 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,818,205 times

Advertisements

Locally, what do you guys think about this?

http://media.economist.com/sites/def...ze/Chart_0.jpg

The United States spends absurdly more than any other country in the world - something like 6-8 times more than any other country in the world, depending on the year. It's close to being more than all the rest of the world combined - and many of those making up the rest of it are our allies! Locally, I think we here in Greenville should agree that any cuts in government spending should begin with the bloated military budget. What is Mitt Romney thinking by suggesting we need to increase this spending?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 12:34 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,758,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Locally, what do you guys think about this?

http://media.economist.com/sites/def...ze/Chart_0.jpg

The United States spends absurdly more than any other country in the world - something like 6-8 times more than any other country in the world, depending on the year. It's close to being more than all the rest of the world combined - and many of those making up the rest of it are our allies! Locally, I think we here in Greenville should agree that any cuts in government spending should begin with the bloated military budget. What is Mitt Romney thinking by suggesting we need to increase this spending?
As a local, I think SC has done a great job of sucking federal dollars away from more wealthy, usually liberal states. We take way more from the Federal government than we put in. And most of that is through Federal military spending.

Way to go SC! Keep sucking from the Federal teat!

Old 08-27-2012, 05:20 PM

130 posts, read 223,817 times
Because the United States has the best, most advanced military in the world.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:21 PM

8,402 posts, read 8,622,605 times
It is the best, most advanced military in the world and far beyond what is needed. It should be cut at least 20-40% over 5-10 years.

It stays as big as it is because politicians like to take credit for military spending in their communities and spending with their corporate contributors and don't give a reasonable care for the horrendously huge deficit and national debt. A Tea Party that to my knowledge shows no concern about the waste & fraud in the military budget and little to no concern about their violations of American citizen privacy in the name of post 911 homeland security is really not that serious about fiscal soundness or freedom.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:08 PM

423 posts, read 893,975 times
This thread seems to be more suited to a Politics forum, not about everyday life specifically related to upstate SC.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:31 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,105,056 times
I would agree about the best military in the world. For those of you who would wish to cut it, think about this. Our military readiness allows us to fight a war ANYWHERE in the world. We are the most mobile military in history. With just hours notice, we can be in any corner of the world. That costs a LOT of money. Would you rather fight a war on terror in the middle east, or right here in your backyard? Cut the military and you'll lose the ability to fight overseas and keep our enemies at arms length.

Also consider this.......We are the worlds police force. It is downright EXPECTED for us to right the wrongs in this world. When we do, we are seen as meddling westerners. But just let one mass human injustace go by without our involvement and see what backlash occurs. We are damned if we do and damned if we don't. But I'd rather help than not help and I'd rather have a "kick a$$" military to keep us and our freedoms safe.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:22 AM

506 posts, read 1,216,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
I would agree about the best military in the world. For those of you who would wish to cut it, think about this. Our military readiness allows us to fight a war ANYWHERE in the world. We are the most mobile military in history. With just hours notice, we can be in any corner of the world. That costs a LOT of money. Would you rather fight a war on terror in the middle east, or right here in your backyard? Cut the military and you'll lose the ability to fight overseas and keep our enemies at arms length.

Also consider this.......We are the worlds police force. It is downright EXPECTED for us to right the wrongs in this world. When we do, we are seen as meddling westerners. But just let one mass human injustace go by without our involvement and see what backlash occurs. We are damned if we do and damned if we don't. But I'd rather help than not help and I'd rather have a "kick a$$" military to keep us and our freedoms safe.
I think most people, myself included, don't *want* to be able to fight a war anywhere in the world at a moments notice. I wish we would stop getting involved in business in other countries that doesn't directly involve us (and no, our oil prices rising because of instability in a region isn't direct involvement, that would be indirect). The amount of money we spend on the military is ridiculous. Beyond ridiculous, ludicrous. It would be far better to get some backlash about not getting involved in something than the eventual severe backlash that will happen when we get involved in something we shouldn't have.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:29 AM

684 posts, read 1,179,234 times
If anyone has actually done work for either the military or NASA, you'd know that much of our technology is OLD and much of it still running on legacy systems from the cold war. But hey at least some stuff will still be operational after an EMP pulse!

Old 08-28-2012, 08:16 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,818,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohtalim View Post
If anyone has actually done work for either the military or NASA, you'd know that much of our technology is OLD and much of it still running on legacy systems from the cold war. But hey at least some stuff will still be operational after an EMP pulse!
Have you done such work? Would you consider our military and military spending to be efficient or bloated?

Whether our "Old" technology is bad depends on the age of the technology of the opponents we would be potentially fighting against. Is our military technology old compared to that of the Taliban? Iraqi insurgents?

Is our military technology inferior to the one-sixth-our-spending Chinese military? If so, it doesn't seem like our spending level could possibly be the problem. We're dumping money at our military by the truckload, head and shoulders beyond anyone else on Earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
So why aren't we pressuring our allies to chip into the cost of global security? Why do we allow the Europeans to spend all their money on social welfare and let us pick up the entire tab to run a global police force? Why do we have military bases in Germany and Japan - these are rich countries that should be able to pay for their own security. We should cut our spending and make the Europeans put up or shut up.

Last edited by gvsteve; 08-28-2012 at 08:30 AM..

Old 08-28-2012, 09:16 AM

557 posts, read 860,403 times
I imagine that the big contract businesses lobby for big military spending which in turn means big profits for those companies. We just happen to outspend all other countries in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area