Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 12:34 PM

690 posts, read 1,145,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant08 View Post
Awesome!

Hmm,

"We specialize in serving the finest quality gourmet shaved ice."

(from their FB page).

At least it's not 'handcrafted'

Might have to try them out now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 06:28 PM

98 posts, read 218,051 times
It looks like Owl is coming back as a food truck. It is in the news today. Its going to be called "the mechanical Owl" which I think is a pretty clever name.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:31 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,043,586 times
I saw them downtown and there were people lined up to get their shaved ice. It's nice to see things like this and I hope it expands. I wish they would have a food truck rodeo maybe once a month, possibly down by the falls or they could even set up in the government parking lot on a Saturday evening with some live entertainment and music. It could even be tents set up with local restaurants to sample the food. They could charge a small fee for sampling the food. Not only is it a good time, it's great advertisement. Once it's over, everyone could head downtown.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:39 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,228 times
Default Still no food trucks downtown

"Food trucks generally are staying away from downtown Greenville. Instead of feeding the masses from parking spots on public streets they are focusing on catering or serving only at certain businesses. In short, many truck owners have found that the ordinance they hoped would boost their business was filled with restrictions that have hurt them."

Help food trucks thrive in downtown Greenville

Greenville is still stuck in the past in so many ways.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:01 AM

21 posts, read 41,765 times
Honestly, I don't find the size of dowtown outside of specific events to support food trucks. Shaved ice is one thing on a hot day but on a daily basis is there enough business to support them? It is a novelty but I don't see it surviving in the long haul. This isn't NYC.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:52 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janrey1234 View Post
Honestly, I don't find the size of dowtown outside of specific events to support food trucks. Shaved ice is one thing on a hot day but on a daily basis is there enough business to support them? It is a novelty but I don't see it surviving in the long haul. This isn't NYC.
I've eaten out of most of the food trucks in town, and the issue usually is getting there early enough before they run out of food.

How many food trucks have you tried here in little old Greenville?

And shouldn't we let the market decide whether the trucks could make it, not some regulations? Seems awfully anti-capitalistic, unAmerican, and against conservative "values" to prohibit small businesses from operating in certain parts of town.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:02 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,660,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I've eaten out of most of the food trucks in town, and the issue usually is getting there early enough before they run out of food.
Agree, I'm debating on driving down into Greenville tonight for Neue Southern's popup, but know that the line will form early, and they'll be sold out fast.

Another area where the city is missing the mark is that a lot of other downtown businesses are missing out.

When we want to eat at one of the food trucks we seek them out, and the spill over business (from getting drinks or deserts afterward, or just wandering into a couple of local shops) falls to whatever is close to the truck (or whoever is hosting the truck in their parking lot).

Old 12-17-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post

How many food trucks have you tried here in little old Greenville?

And shouldn't we let the market decide whether the trucks could make it, not some regulations? Seems awfully anti-capitalistic, unAmerican, and against conservative "values" to prohibit small businesses from operating in certain parts of town.
I haven't tried any. I used to visit them a lot in Boston in the 70's and once in NYC but I don't actually go downtown that much. I just wondered because Greenville isn't that big and I can't imagine that they'd be able to sustain a decent lunch crowd. Yes, I do think that they shouldn't be prohibited and that market will determine the outcome.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:31 PM

843 posts, read 1,430,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janrey1234 View Post
I haven't tried any. I used to visit them a lot in Boston in the 70's and once in NYC but I don't actually go downtown that much. I just wondered because Greenville isn't that big and I can't imagine that they'd be able to sustain a decent lunch crowd. Yes, I do think that they shouldn't be prohibited and that market will determine the outcome.
Have you seen most restaurants at lunch downtown?

Old 12-18-2014, 08:41 PM

No, as I said I rarely go downtown. I've been a couple of times when my niece or nephew have visited and it was a good enough crowd but that doesn't change whether or not downtown could sustain food trucks. Personally, I like to sit and be waited on.

Last edited by janrey1234; 12-18-2014 at 09:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area