U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 11:46 AM

5,681 posts, read 8,856,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roozle1976 View Post
I always thought a Barnes & Nobles or some other bookstore would do well in this area. Now all we really have are the books in Target and Walmart. My 2 yr old daughter can easily spend an hour or so in the play area at those book stores and it'd be nice not to have to drive all the way to Gville.
I would see something like B&N going in on Fairview Rd where there's already an existing "critical mass" of other retail before they would consider W. Georgia road, IMO. But it would be nice in either place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 12:13 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,665,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Was the state going to build a prison there?
No, there was a minimum security prison on Blakely Road whose property encompased this property as well. I think it was Givens Prison.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:48 PM

13,547 posts, read 11,660,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Well, there's a very attractive nearly-empty strip center up the hill from that intersection (on what I call the "Simpsonville" side of the intersection). I sure hope that takes off in the near future - maybe some new-to-the-area restaurants on outparcels or something like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruvidu View Post
There never was a planned development. The only parcel ever sold was to Spinx.
The development or strip mall on Kemet Drive you mention is headed to foreclosure. I had an appraiser call me several months ago asking for a BPO on it. It is in a terrible location.
My thoughts for the next development along West Georgia will be near E. Standing Springs Rd. when the new intersection is completed next year.
Is the development in question the old Ingle's store #41, which was demolished several years ago? I remember another one being conceived featuring dining and lodging, which I think is being mentioned here.

Speaking on the future of West Georgia Road, it will continue to experience a population density infill from I-385 to Fork Shoals Road. Progress the area is likely to see is West Georgia Road being widened to four lanes, eventually to Augusta Road (US-25) and a retail center anchored by a major area supermarket, excluding Food Lion.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Is the development in question the old Ingle's store #41, which was demolished several years ago? I remember another one being conceived featuring dining and lodging, which I think is being mentioned here.

Speaking on the future of West Georgia Road, it will continue to experience a population density infill from I-385 to Fork Shoals Road. Progress the area is likely to see is West Georgia Road being widened to four lanes, eventually to Augusta Road (US-25) and a retail center anchored by a major area supermarket, excluding Food Lion.
I think the development mentioned is across I-385 from the old Ingles site.
I know of no current plans to widen West Georgia to 4 lanes. The main reason for this are the numerous subdivisions that have entrances and homes almost on top of the Right Of Way. Until someone comes up with the money to install sewer lines the chances of growth are minimal. There is no sewer from Food Lion to the GHS medical center. There is approximately 25 acres near the medical center that have access to sewer. This and the new intersection coming at E. Standing Springs Rd. is why I think the next development will be here.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:35 AM

4,958 posts, read 5,356,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roozle1976 View Post
I always thought a Barnes & Nobles or some other bookstore would do well in this area. Now all we really have are the books in Target and Walmart. My 2 yr old daughter can easily spend an hour or so in the play area at those book stores and it'd be nice not to have to drive all the way to Gville.
I was talking to a friend about the same thing. There are also plans someday to develop the area along Grandview and Harrison Bridge.

But as for B&N, we were thinking that it could be risky for them to keep expanding since we already have two in our area. They don't want to turn into another Borders. But if they would close the Haywood location, I could see them expanding to Simpsonville.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:36 PM

13,547 posts, read 11,660,185 times
What is this new intersection with West Georgia Road and East Standing Springs Road? The intersection was improved with left turns lanes and a traffic signal nearly five years ago. Is it being rebuilt with Stenhouse Road in mind?

Old 09-29-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
What is this new intersection with West Georgia Road and East Standing Springs Road? The intersection was improved with left turns lanes and a traffic signal nearly five years ago. Is it being rebuilt with Stenhouse Road in mind?
It was 7 years ago to be exact. Stenhouse Rd is being rerouted so that it will come out across from E. Standing Springs Rd. creating a very nice crossroads. If you come up Stenhouse you will note that the widening stopped in the curve before getting to W. Ga. You will see the orange flags where the new road has been surveyed. I have the plans on file. The Windsor/Aughtry Co. have already sold their right of way near the old store building. From what I understand there is one property owner wanting major bucks and his property has been condemed. I guess it is going to arbitration.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:39 PM

1,638 posts, read 2,027,756 times
What happened to the retail that was supposed to go next to the new movie theater including the vacant car dealership? I thought that was supposed to be developed for big box retail.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:04 AM

5,681 posts, read 8,856,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
What happened to the retail that was supposed to go next to the new movie theater including the vacant car dealership? I thought that was supposed to be developed for big box retail.
I'm sure most would blame the recession. Speculative building suffered a great blow from that. Not that it's completely dead, but it's not the same as it was pre-2008.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:51 PM

654 posts, read 1,054,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
I would see something like B&N going in on Fairview Rd where there's already an existing "critical mass" of other retail before they would consider W. Georgia road, IMO. But it would be nice in either place!
YES! My wife and I are waiting for the day that B&N goes up over here. The Shops at Gridlock and Haywood Rd. are places we do not like to go. Put it right on the corner of Grandview and Harrison Bridge Rd....along with a Panda Express and Jimmy Johns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area