Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 01:19 PM

214 posts, read 298,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
Yea, 200+ quality trees maintained properly are completely hideous!
Last time I drove by, all the ones I saw were volcano mulched (which, imo, is the epitome of not being properly maintained) and there seemed to be no variety in the trees, meaning the first bug/disease to come through would take out the majority of the trees planted. Planting trees after clear cutting for a development is great, but it still disgusts me when the lot is clear cut in the first place. It's all about the profit, sadly.

Hopefully they've increased the variety and stopped volcano mulching, but I'm not willing to brave Woodruff Rd without a real good reason to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 01:24 PM

1,841 posts, read 2,742,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaelcat View Post
Greenridge is actually fairly attractive. But it sure would have been nice to have created a more pedestrian-friendly environment. Want to walk from Lowes to World Market? Forget it! We walked from Lowes to Mimi's and about got killed. There's a similar shopping area in Charlotte, except the stores are arranged so that there is parking behind each (in case you're buying something large) but all the storefronts face sidewalks and a common area where they have events. It is also designed with traffic circles, which keeps things flowing. If developers have a huge space and the opportunity to plan something sensibly, it is so irritating when they don't. Greenridge, like just about every other place around here is designed for the all-mighty car and people who don't want to walk more than a few feet to get inside.
Good observations - traffic circles would certainly simplify Greenridge traffic management and facilitate pedestrian crossings. One of the several things I hate about Greenridge is the pedestrian experience. All the way from navigating the vast expanses of concrete to dodging the cars.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:36 PM

9,371 posts, read 9,662,180 times
While I agree with the comments about Greenridge could have been planned to be more pedestrian friendly, we should take that discussion to the Shoppes at Greenridge thread and get back to the West Georgia Rd development on this thread.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:15 AM

115 posts, read 263,154 times
Figured I'd bump the thread and see if there are any new developments in the works? I know the homebuilders in our subdivision and surrounding subs are going nuts throwing up new houses, but I would like to see some more shopping/eating choices in the area especially around Food Lion.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:35 PM

21,004 posts, read 27,009,485 times
Another traditional supermarket can easily go up on West Georgia Road. Food Lion has the advantage of being the only supermarket in that direction excelling in location; however, its interest in the region will continue to disappear.

Most retail and some eateries will go up around the I-385 interchange. How about dining options like Fatz Café, Waffle House, Hardee's and some lodging?

Old 03-22-2013, 09:48 AM

115 posts, read 263,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Another traditional supermarket can easily go up on West Georgia Road. Food Lion has the advantage of being the only supermarket in that direction excelling in location; however, its interest in the region will continue to disappear.

Most retail and some eateries will go up around the I-385 interchange. How about dining options like Fatz Café, Waffle House, Hardee's and some lodging?
I really like the clean/quiet atmosphere of shopping at Food Lion, but their prices are pretty high. I would love to see Kroger move into the area, their prices are pretty good and selection seems better than most markets now. I do not see any lodging coming into the area, as there are already a few hotels off Grandview close to W. Georgia. I think there are enough fast food places in the area, but would love to see better quality sit down places. I prefer more local places, but still love many of the chains such as Outback, J Alexanders, Olive Garden, Buffalo Wild Wings.....With all of the homebuilding going on in the Simpsonville area, I think there is a lot of potential to compete with the busier areas of Greenville. I would love to spend money in my city, but there are far too little options to chose from. Hopefully our city leaders are working to bring in some more choices, but I have not heard of anything in the works as of yet!

Old 03-22-2013, 10:09 AM

477 posts, read 835,605 times
Food Lion is definitely convenient but Fairview Road is so close that I don’t really need more stuff on West Georgia Road. We live across the Street from the Greenville Tech Campus and going to Fairview Road doesn’t take longer than driving to Food Lion.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:43 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,917,093 times
I find FoodLion to be very competitive with their prices (especially the basics) to everyone else and their brands are very good quality. I think they are really making an effort to lowering prices in the last year and that store is clean.

It would be nice to get some of those large Kroger Marketplace stores scattered around the Greenville area.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:48 AM

11,689 posts, read 24,653,561 times
Food Lion is a joke. They built all of those stores here then decided to close most of them just a few years later. Talk about a bad business decision on their part. Reminds me of the idiot investors who put money towards the Southern Connector.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:05 PM

214 posts, read 298,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
I find FoodLion to be very competitive with their prices (especially the basics) to everyone else and their brands are very good quality. I think they are really making an effort to lowering prices in the last year and that store is clean.

It would be nice to get some of those large Kroger Marketplace stores scattered around the Greenville area.
Funny, yesterday we were just comparing how much better even the Ingles in Belton is compared to the Kroger locations near us in Michigan - and yes, even including the Kroger Fresh Fare we're less than a mile from, but I go out of my way to avoid.

I feel like I've been living in a foreign country when we come down here and go to a Publix or Ingles. The selection is so much better I just want to browse around and look for a couple of hours. Bi-lo, however, seems more on the line of Kroger quality and selection.

While I haven't been to the Food Lion on W Georgia since it was Bloom, I can't see any Kroger being a more desirable choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area