U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-22-2013, 11:22 AM
 
1,638 posts, read 2,027,756 times
Reputation: 472

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet View Post
Funny, yesterday we were just comparing how much better even the Ingles in Belton is compared to the Kroger locations near us in Michigan - and yes, even including the Kroger Fresh Fare we're less than a mile from, but I go out of my way to avoid.

I feel like I've been living in a foreign country when we come down here and go to a Publix or Ingles. The selection is so much better I just want to browse around and look for a couple of hours. Bi-lo, however, seems more on the line of Kroger quality and selection.

While I haven't been to the Food Lion on W Georgia since it was Bloom, I can't see any Kroger being a more desirable choice.

How old are those Michigan Kroger stores you are comparing to Publix because I have been to some really nice new stores in Tennessee and Atlanta and the new Kroger Marketplace stores they are buiding in the South are very nice. When it comes to grocery stores, Comparing stores within a grocery chain is like comparing apples to oranges. It all depends on how old the store is. Go over to the Ingles store in Moonville on Hwy 25 and tell me what you think of Ingles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-22-2013, 04:53 PM
 
115 posts, read 195,620 times
Reputation: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
How old are those Michigan Kroger stores you are comparing to Publix because I have been to some really nice new stores in Tennessee and Atlanta and the new Kroger Marketplace stores they are buiding in the South are very nice. When it comes to grocery stores, Comparing stores within a grocery chain is like comparing apples to oranges. It all depends on how old the store is. Go over to the Ingles store in Moonville on Hwy 25 and tell me what you think of Ingles.
I totally agree! We came from the Ohio/Michigan border area, and none of the stores in the greenville area come close in price and product selection that Kroger carried. Bi Lo, Publix, and Ingles stores are a joke. Everything is way overpriced and the selection IMO are mediocre at best. Food Lion on W. Georgia is always spotless and is a good place to stop for quick last minutes items. But if you were to buy everything there, you are going to pay an arm and a leg!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2013, 09:05 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
13,547 posts, read 11,660,185 times
Reputation: 3376
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
I find FoodLion to be very competitive with their prices (especially the basics) to everyone else and their brands are very good quality. I think they are really making an effort to lowering prices in the last year and that store is clean.

It would be nice to get some of those large Kroger Marketplace stores scattered around the Greenville area.
If Kroger is seeking to enter new or re-enter previous markets in the Carolinas, I could see an existing chain being acquired and Kroger's Marketplace format stores, under other banners, opening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Food Lion is a joke. They built all of those stores here then decided to close most of them just a few years later. Talk about a bad business decision on their part. Reminds me of the idiot investors who put money towards the Southern Connector.
I will agree here. Food Lion entered upstate South Carolina a tad too quickly without studying existing traditional players like Bi-Lo, Ingle's and Publix. Observations such as concentrating on three banners, being Bloom, Bottom Dollar and Food Lion, lacking necessities like pharmacies, with some stores locating in pharmacy deserts, and stores like Clemson closing six months after opening were signs Food Lion must be failing somewhere. Instead of opening more stores, Food Lion's parent, Delhaize, made a bid to acquire Bi-Lo, which would have given them an existing successful regional banner to work with. Bi-Lo ignored Food Lion's bid, and later would form its own holding company and acquire Winn Dixie. Food Lion would phase out the Bloom banner and close over half the stores it had in the area among 113 stores closing last year. With new players like Walmart Neighborhood Market in South Carolina and Publix's arrival in North Carolina, Food Lion, like Lowe's Foods, will struggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet View Post
Funny, yesterday we were just comparing how much better even the Ingles in Belton is compared to the Kroger locations near us in Michigan - and yes, even including the Kroger Fresh Fare we're less than a mile from, but I go out of my way to avoid.

I feel like I've been living in a foreign country when we come down here and go to a Publix or Ingles. The selection is so much better I just want to browse around and look for a couple of hours. Bi-lo, however, seems more on the line of Kroger quality and selection.

While I haven't been to the Food Lion on W Georgia since it was Bloom, I can't see any Kroger being a more desirable choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
How old are those Michigan Kroger stores you are comparing to Publix because I have been to some really nice new stores in Tennessee and Atlanta and the new Kroger Marketplace stores they are buiding in the South are very nice. When it comes to grocery stores, Comparing stores within a grocery chain is like comparing apples to oranges. It all depends on how old the store is. Go over to the Ingles store in Moonville on Hwy 25 and tell me what you think of Ingles.
I have not been to a Kroger in years. I think there is a Kroger Marketplace open somewhere in South Carolina now, either toward Bluffton or toward Myrtle Beach.

The Ingle's in Moonville, their current oldest operating store in the state, still does good amount of business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2014, 07:29 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
13,547 posts, read 11,660,185 times
Reputation: 3376
Default West Georgia Road Commercial Land between Blakely Road and Neely Ferry Road

I have been reviewing CRBE's property listing for West Georiga Road commercial land between Blakely Road and Neely Ferry Road.

Site plan:


First, a future city park is planned with direct access from Blakely Road.

Second, Spinx owns a parcel at the site's main entrance across from Cheyenne Drive. I do not know if Spinx intends to open a store here in the near future. Spinx #173 (1218 West Georgia Road, Simpsonville, SC 29680-6335) is located a few miles west at East Standing Springs Road and Stenhouse Road.

Parcel 6, spanning 26 acres, is the largest parcel aimed for retail. This would be an ideal site for a supermarket.

Parcel 9, spanning 33 acres, is targeted for residential development.

Parcels 2, 3 and 5 along West Georgia Road are outparcels that will see likely uses as freestanding restaurants, banks or typical neighborhood commercial development.

Parcel 7, accessible from Blakely Road, is aimed for office use, likely professional practices and offices.

__________
"West Georgia Road - Commercial Land." CRBE. Retrieved 2014-08-03. <http://www.crelisting.net/MfJ4QDw3g>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2014, 05:13 AM
 
Location: Upstate
4,958 posts, read 5,356,705 times
Reputation: 3056
Thanks CK for posting that. Looks like it will take some serious grading in lot 6 to make it level with the lots along W. GA road.

Maybe a nice place for the new type of Ingles store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2014, 06:39 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
13,547 posts, read 11,660,185 times
Reputation: 3376
Default Supermarkets on West Georgia Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Thanks CK for posting that. Looks like it will take some serious grading in lot 6 to make it level with the lots along W. GA road.

Maybe a nice place for the new type of Ingles store.
The site is the right size for Ingle's new larger stores or a Kroger Marketplace, if the chain enters the market. I know any site Ingle's owns prohibits competitors like drugstores, dollar stores, delicatessens, butcher shops, etc. from opening onsite.

Could West Georgia Road have another supermarket? There is vacant land next to Greenville Health System's affiliated practices near the intersection with Stenhouse Road and East Standing Springs Road. I do not know if Greenville Health System owns that adjacent vacant site. A parcel that size could accommodate a Publix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2014, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Upstate
4,958 posts, read 5,356,705 times
Reputation: 3056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The site is the right size for Ingle's new larger stores or a Kroger Marketplace, if the chain enters the market. I know any site Ingle's owns prohibits competitors like drugstores, dollar stores, delicatessens, butcher shops, etc. from opening onsite.

Could West Georgia Road have another supermarket? There is vacant land next to Greenville Health System's affiliated practices near the intersection with Stenhouse Road and East Standing Springs Road. I do not know if Greenville Health System owns that adjacent vacant site. A parcel that size could accommodate a Publix.
The Duncan location has a Walgreens next to the parking lot of Ingles, so the CVS that is on W. Georgia shouldn't bother Ingles. It would be nice though to have a dollar type store or delicatessen there. So if that is how they want to play, then I would hope for a Kroger instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2014, 03:21 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
13,547 posts, read 11,660,185 times
Reputation: 3376
Default Ingle's and Kroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
The Duncan location has a Walgreens next to the parking lot of Ingles, so the CVS that is on W. Georgia shouldn't bother Ingles. It would be nice though to have a dollar type store or delicatessen there. So if that is how they want to play, then I would hope for a Kroger instead.
Most Ingle's stores will have pharmacies going forward, so an adjacent competitor is not a problem to them. Kroger would be on the same ship.

In regards to Kroger, is 26 acres large enough for its Kroger Marketplace store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2014, 06:40 PM
 
6,001 posts, read 3,941,217 times
Reputation: 7301
BTW.. Replying to what someone asked 2 years ago.. It was indeed Givens and was a 'prison', but.. That's something of a misnomer. That was a juvenile facility. Givens Youth Correctional Facility opened in 1969 and closed in 2001.

Anyone sentenced under the "Youthful Offender Act" was supposed to be sent to one of the three Youth facilities.. Givens being one of them. Ages 17-25 were housed there.. So, it wasn't a "Juvie" facility, either.

I lived there on W Georgia, up across from what used to be an RCA place.. Beside the fireworks stand... From 1997 until 2006 or so.. Hardly even noticed the prison was there. It didn't have fences or anything. It was more like a camp facility. Nothing to keep people from walking off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2014, 07:29 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
9,603 posts, read 18,299,368 times
Reputation: 2361
So what is getting built near the old Ingles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top