Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 12:31 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,406,804 times

Advertisements

I was just viewing the downtown vicinity of Greenville on StreetView and realized that its very up-to-date. To give you a idea of how to update the area is, the 2nd tower of One (Washington Square) is being built. After reviewing much of the downtown area on Google Maps, I've completely realized that Downtown Greenville is in a boom; it simply cannot be denied.

Well besides that, can anyone pin-point what month this was taken? The condo's on Washington Street (the one's the compliment McBee St. Condos or whatever they are called) are nearly complete as well. The Peace Center renovation looks done, at least from the angle I'm currently viewing it. The new condo's on Camperdown Way near Riverplace are complete.

SN: After looking between Riverplace I can see that the renovation of The Peace Center isn't done, but it was very close to it.

Another update: I didn't know Google had a birdseye type of view now, I guess to compete with Bing and Apple. Just go to Satellite and zoom in enough until it is birdeye view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 06:11 AM

1,841 posts, read 2,741,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Well besides that, can anyone pin-point what month this was taken?
I would put it in mid-June.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:53 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,486,046 times
Wonder how often views of the area around GSP are updated? Overhead views on most online maps I can find don't look very recent.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:23 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,639,476 times
Quote:
can anyone pin-point what month this was taken?
Google now tells you when it was taken. In the bottom left corner it has the copyright, Report a Problem link and then the month.

Google has had bird's eye view for a few months, maybe a year. I prefer it to Bing's bird eye view. Bing seems to rarely update while Google tries to keep it semi current. I thought Apple just launched their own maps with the newest OS. Before that they were using a slimmed down version of Google Maps.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:43 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,406,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
Google now tells you when it was taken. In the bottom left corner it has the copyright, Report a Problem link and then the month.

Google has had bird's eye view for a few months, maybe a year. I prefer it to Bing's bird eye view. Bing seems to rarely update while Google tries to keep it semi current. I thought Apple just launched their own maps with the newest OS. Before that they were using a slimmed down version of Google Maps.
Yeah Apple just released the update today, unfortunately Google Maps has been replaced by Maps which is flat out pathetic (at least for now). I decided to update my iPad 2, iPod Touch today because I had nothing else to do, now I'm quite disappointed and I ordered a iPhone 5 so it will come with iOS 6 on it so I'm all around screwed.

But back to the subject, yeah I was thinking June or August. It's the most recent I've seen in a city so far.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:32 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,639,476 times
Quote:
Yeah Apple just released the update today, unfortunately Google Maps has been replaced by Maps which is flat out pathetic (at least for now). I decided to update my iPad 2, iPod Touch today because I had nothing else to do, now I'm quite disappointed and I ordered a iPhone 5 so it will come with iOS 6 on it so I'm all around screwed.

But back to the subject, yeah I was thinking June or August. It's the most recent I've seen in a city so far.
Google seems to be updating its photos at a quicker pace as time goes on. I wonder how it determines when to update places and when to give areas a bird's eye view. The bird's eye view seems to slowly expand as time goes on. I wish that Google would let you zoom out and choose it keep bird's eye view if you wanted rather than switching back to aerial view.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:49 PM

843 posts, read 1,423,294 times
I work downtown and remember looking out the window and seeing the google car driving by and wondered when they were going to be uploaded to streetview.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:03 AM

557 posts, read 859,524 times
They were in the Greenville area about mid June of this year. I saw one on Haywood Road near Haywood Mall.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:20 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,815,561 times
I saw a little google hatchback with a giant cam on top in my neighborhood in easley last week! wonder if i'll be on google now in my truck

Old 09-21-2012, 09:36 AM

212 posts, read 421,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
I saw a little google hatchback with a giant cam on top in my neighborhood in easley last week! wonder if i'll be on google now in my truck
I was hoping Easley would get updated. There are street view shots that are about 5 years old. I know that my house doesn't look the same at all, since it was completely renovated before I bought it 3.5 years ago. I really would love to see an updated picture. I guess we'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area