U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 10:41 AM

177 posts, read 258,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The Fresh Market's new store at Converse Plaza on East Main Street is nearing completion. Work on the interior is in its end stages. I think the relocation from Fernwood Drive may occur around February.
Drat! I was hoping this would be done before Christmas. Either way, the new location should be great, not only for the Fresh Market, but the revitalization of that entire plaza.

Along those lines, Broadway Bagels in the Converse Plaza is, in my opinion, making a comeback in terms of service and quality. It had declined somewhat since Janet and Mary sold (miss those ladies, RIP Janet), and the owner after them just didn't have a great grasp of true customer service. Wait times increased, food quality decreased, and the staff turnover, which was almost non-existent, was almost weekly it seemed.

Now, new owners have breathed new life into the shop, and the service and quality is making a comeback. Some former employees have returned (a good sign, IMO), and they should see foot traffic increase when the FM opens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 10:15 PM

15,815 posts, read 13,505,405 times
I do not know what could occupy the former Harris Teeter in Converser Plaza. It should be an attractive space after The Fresh Market relocates.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:13 AM

852 posts, read 2,122,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlopShotter View Post
Drat! I was hoping this would be done before Christmas. Either way, the new location should be great, not only for the Fresh Market, but the revitalization of that entire plaza.

Along those lines, Broadway Bagels in the Converse Plaza is, in my opinion, making a comeback in terms of service and quality. It had declined somewhat since Janet and Mary sold (miss those ladies, RIP Janet), and the owner after them just didn't have a great grasp of true customer service. Wait times increased, food quality decreased, and the staff turnover, which was almost non-existent, was almost weekly it seemed.

Now, new owners have breathed new life into the shop, and the service and quality is making a comeback. Some former employees have returned (a good sign, IMO), and they should see foot traffic increase when the FM opens.
I have to disagree. Decided to give Broadway Bagels another shot this morning after seeing this yesterday. Terrible service (waited 12 minutes for a bagel), when they weren't all that busy. On top of that they were out of several flavors of cream cheese. Ran out of coffee when I was there, and I overheard an employee say "that's the third time they've done this to us". Tells me new ownership has a long way to go. I won't go back. It's too bad, used to be a nice place to go. The usual Spartanburg High student contingent wasn't there this morning either, so that tells me things are still not right.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:58 AM

177 posts, read 258,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishCream View Post
I have to disagree. Decided to give Broadway Bagels another shot this morning after seeing this yesterday. Terrible service (waited 12 minutes for a bagel), when they weren't all that busy. On top of that they were out of several flavors of cream cheese. Ran out of coffee when I was there, and I overheard an employee say "that's the third time they've done this to us". Tells me new ownership has a long way to go. I won't go back. It's too bad, used to be a nice place to go. The usual Spartanburg High student contingent wasn't there this morning either, so that tells me things are still not right.
Sorry to hear that. I usually stop twice a week or so - they still have had some issues with supplies, but it is getting gradually better. I think the service time still depends on who is working - there are a couple of pokey ones, but if Jordan or Jamie are there, it moves along nicely. They've only been doing this about three months, so there will be a few growing pains. 12 minutes for a bagel is a little tough to take, though.

The student crowd is there some mornings, but considering how far they had fallen, it will take some time to come back. I'll update occasionally here, and I have given the new owner some feedback.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:17 PM

I am noticing some activity inside the former Winn Dixie store on Springfield Road at Asheville Highway. The structure has been vacant for seven years when Winn Dixie closed all remaining stores in the area in 2005.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:05 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,241,367 times
Quote:
I am noticing some activity inside the former Winn Dixie store on Springfield Road at Asheville Highway. The structure has been vacant for seven years when Winn Dixie closed all remaining stores in the area in 2005.
The same thing happened at the old WD in Berea. They seem to have worked inside and spruced it up a bit for a few weeks but nothing has developed. Maybe they are repairing them because someone is taking a look at them maybe Walmart Neighborhood Market ???

Old 12-18-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
The same thing happened at the old WD in Berea. They seem to have worked inside and spruced it up a bit for a few weeks but nothing has developed. Maybe they are repairing them because someone is taking a look at them maybe Walmart Neighborhood Market ???
I think Kmart in Berea's closing will cause the entire site to be reexamined.

I am unaware of Walmart Neighborhood Market looking in Spartanburg County yet. I could see Inman and Duncan as potential destinations. The old Winn Dixie in Duncan can still be a grocery store.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:20 AM

The former Winn Dixie on Springfield Road was busy yesterday. The Salvation Army of Spartanburg was doing a major event in the morning that had cars serpentining around the parking lot. In the evening, lights were on inside. Though the windows were blocked to see through at eye level, the color decor from Winn Dixie was intact.

As for The Fresh Market at Converse Plaza on East Main Street, signage is up on the structure. I am thinking a late January or early February opening.

Last edited by Carolina Knight; 12-19-2012 at 10:39 AM..

Old 12-20-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Duncan:

QuikTrip is another month from opening on Spartangreen Boulevard at East Main Street. Gas pumps and signage has been installed.
QuikTrip in Duncan opened for business last Friday.

Quote:
I noticed Play It Again Sports on East Blackstock Road relocated over to West Blackstock Road. The former location with the defunct Treadmill Warehouse is being demolished.
Goodwill has opened recently in the former Play It Again Sports and Treadmill Warehouse structure at 219 East Blackstock Road.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:38 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,755,225 times
Apparently Jake's Wayback Burgers will open soon at the corner of Reidville Road and East Blackstock Road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area