Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 08:32 AM

39 posts, read 78,096 times

Advertisements

We are a lesbian couple in 60's looking to relocate from New England when we retire. Have seriously considered Asheville for its progressive, artsy, gay friendly vibe. Also appreciate natural beauty .
Lately several people have mentioned Greenvile as an alternative. Given the above factors, can you help me compare, Please.
We don't need jobs but housing costs a factor also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 08:38 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,842,664 times
In terms of a progressive, artsy, gay friendly vibe, Asheville would be a significantly better match. Greenville has its artsy side but not really on the scale of Asheville. Asheville is significantly more progressive/gay friendly. Not to say you couldn't be happy in Greenville, but I'm just comparing on these factors.

I think Greenville has cheaper housing and taxes but I can't say for sure.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:54 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,541,304 times
To be completely honest, my partner & I live in the deepest, darkest Greenville suburbs... No one has batted an eye. We've babysat for our neighbors' two young girls and are friendly with all our immediate neighbors. Everyone I've worked with (my only other real point of reference) - gay, straight, young, old, black, white, other - have all to a person been great people to work with and get to know. No one has ever made sexual orientation an issue (and of course, I certainly don't either).

Old 10-16-2012, 10:28 AM

5,159 posts, read 7,349,998 times
But Greenville still remains a very conservative area when compared to Asheville. And the local county commission here has passed a resolution condemning the homosexual lifestyle. But still a nice area nevertheless, with a very nice downtown. And Asheville, Charlotte, and Atlanta are all a short drive away. But if you're looking for more openmindedness and tolerance, then Asheville indeed may be a better choice.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:34 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,526,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
But Greenville still remains a very conservative area when compared to Asheville. And the local county commission here has passed a resolution condemning the homosexual lifestyle. But still a nice area nevertheless, with a very nice downtown. And Asheville, Charlotte, and Atlanta are all a short drive away. But if you're looking for more openmindedness and tolerance, then Asheville indeed may be a better choice.
I don't totally disagree with you, however, I don't recall a gay-bashing assault in Greenville in recent memory such as was in the Asheville news in the past few days... Gay couple cursed, beaten I think Upstate Booster's experience speaks volumes.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:39 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,544,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I didn't know Greenville did that? When did this happen?

Oh, and Charlotte and Atlanta are hour and a half drives either direction. Anything, but a short drive.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:06 PM

4,213 posts, read 6,901,334 times
I guess it is perspective. An hour and a half is a very short drive from one city to another major city. I grew up in CLT and was 30-45 mins from everything in the same city haha. I drove 45 minutes to HS each day (would be more like 30 now with 485 completed but still).

When I first moved to Greenville, I drove back to Raleigh 2 weekends a month and thought nothing of it. The traffic and the short drives here in Greenville spoil a lot of us I think. It's amazing that I can get to anything I want to within Greenville in 20 mins.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:02 PM

39 posts, read 78,096 times
Well, We live near the lesbian mecca of Northampton MA and there are hate crimes here too. FOr me how it is responded to is the key, because there are bigots everywhere and there is backlash to progressive attitudes too.

A hour and a half is nothing; I drive an hour to work daily!

Old 10-16-2012, 03:47 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,541,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
I didn't know Greenville did that? When did this happen?

Oh, and Charlotte and Atlanta are hour and a half drives either direction. Anything, but a short drive.
Please do bear in mind that these stupid little meaningless resolutions carry NO weight, and don't affect one's day-to-day life ONE IOTA.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:00 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,857,650 times
As a retired lesbian couple you should really be looking at Bat Cave, NC. It is southeast of Asheville, northeast of Greenville. Bat Cave is definitely a lesbian mecca.

As a gay man here, I think your choice of location depends on your likes. Gay men and lesbians are as diverse as straight people.....we come in all shapes, sizes and styles.

Generally, the gay population in Greenville is white collar, coupled, probably a bit older, more into fine arts and cocktail parties at someone's home, or weekends at the lake. Asheville's gay population is a bit younger, closer to the OWS crowd, likes to do the bar scene more, more granola.

Asheville has a gay pride parade. Greenville does not. You may happen on a man in buttless chaps in Asheville, you will probably never see that in Greenville.

I find Greenville very accepting, every bit as much, if not more than Asheville. If you are going by the pc / prescribed notion of liberal and conservative, you will find Asheville more liberal and Greenville more conservative. Thank God, not everyone, in either place, follows prescribed notions.

Again, check out Bat Cave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area