Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 12:52 PM

690 posts, read 1,146,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
Clemson has a good computer science department. I graduated from it. My graduate school cohorts ended up anywhere from Microsoft to EA Sports to Disney Animation Studios and everything in between. I ended up at IBM. Some went to EMC, which would likely closely match the skills this company needs. The pool isn't as shallow as you think, it's the opportunities which are lacking. News like this is great.
I phrased it wrong. I meant the availability pool is shallow. There are plenty of intelligent devs and such in this area. USC Upstate, BJU, Furman, Clemson all have great CS and Engineering programs. The issue like you mentioned is the opportunities. Looking at your note you see that none of the companies you mentioned are in the Upstate so talent leaves this area unfortunately.

Let's put it this way - even if Servosity is only hiring 10 developers there aren't any just sitting around in the Upstate. They are all working so they would have to come from another company (which in turn leaves that company with open spots) or out of this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 06:11 PM

684 posts, read 1,186,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
Hard to pay much attention to those lists sometimes. I think the list you are referring leaves me wary of the group that did those rankings...
Usnews rankings are terrible unless my school is on top!

Old 11-01-2012, 06:35 PM

4,227 posts, read 6,905,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohtalim View Post
Usnews rankings are terrible unless my school is on top!
Not what I'm saying at all. Something that drastic makes the entire list credibility look bad.

That would be like USnews saying NC State had a better psychology program than UNC or something. Anyone who knows anything about either of those schools sees UNC ranked higher than NC State in CS or CSC and would laugh :P

Old 11-05-2012, 07:44 AM

684 posts, read 1,186,163 times
Sorry apparently the USC that is top 20 tied with UNC was the one in CA.

Best Computer Science Programs | Top Computer Science Schools | US News Best Graduate Schools

I'm sure employers know exactly what local schools have the better programs to get employees for cheap, but the "free massages at work" employers limit their job fair visits to certain schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area