Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 10:56 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times

Advertisements

What is "SPUI"? Can you share an example?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 12:01 PM

179 posts, read 328,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
The type of exit near the airport on I85/highway 14.

Pretty much any major city now uses them. Living in Phoenix area for 7 years, totally love them.

Basically instead of having two lights on an interstate exit, you have one so its much more like a 4 way light.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:16 PM

9,501 posts, read 9,816,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Single Point Urban Interchange

Quote:
A single point urban interchange is similar in form to a diamond interchange, but has the advantage of allowing opposing left turns to proceed simultaneously by compressing the two intersections of a diamond into one single intersection over or under the free-flowing road.
The name "Single Point" refers to the fact that all through traffic on the arterial street, as well as the traffic turning left onto or off the interchange, can be controlled from a single set of traffic signals. Due to the space efficiency of SPUIs relative to the volume of traffic they can handle, the interchange design is being used extensively in the reconstruction of existing freeways as well as constructing new freeways, particularly in dense urban environments.
Single-point urban interchange - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-20-2012, 05:49 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,860,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohtalim View Post
Driving on the new sections they opened up doesn't feel a smooth as I'd expect a new highway to be. Or my rickshaw needs a new suspension.
Really? I thought just the opposite when I was on the new sections yesterday. The new concrete / cement sections have been "diamond polished" I believe is the term. Both my passenger and I thought it was ultra smooth. Maybe you are talking about one of the paved transition areas when the concrete / cemment changes to blacktop? Those blacktop areas nearing Woodruff / 85 are not as smooth, but then those areas are also scheduled to be redone in 2014 with the new interchange, so I'm thinking the pavement in that part is somewhat "temporary".

Old 12-15-2012, 07:12 PM

45 posts, read 82,508 times
Woodruff Rd is still a mess. Too crowded (who approves this stuff?). I don't see why they don't include an on ramp out of Green Ridge to the Interstates. Would make for much easier exiting. Plenty of room behind Best Buy.

Back to no entry to Woodruff (ATT store area) from 385 - sad.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:44 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,544,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradlm View Post
I don't see why they don't include an on ramp out of Green Ridge to the Interstates. Would make for much easier exiting. Plenty of room behind Best Buy.
Definitely agreed. Same for MPTC whenever it gets built out. I HOPE that the overall interchange redo design will take those two major developments into consideration!

Old 12-16-2012, 09:24 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,788,725 times
I don't think they can add exits at those places due to the distance between the current interchanges that already exist in the area. There has to be a certain amount of ROW for merging vehicles.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:06 AM

179 posts, read 328,879 times
If they add single point interchanges to both woodruff exits, that will open room for another exit out of the shopping center there onto woodruff.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:27 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,788,725 times
Alternative 4A has been selected for the I-85/I-385 interchange project: http://www.scdot.org/inside/pdfs/Pub...-385_FONSI.pdf Construction will likely start in Fall 2013 according to the Greenville News.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:44 AM

21,021 posts, read 27,245,104 times
Though not my preferred alternative, it is time to move forward improving the interchange.

Two projects that will need to be addressed at a later time are Woodruff Road's intersections with I-85 and I-385. Both intersections are unable to handle the existing traffic in the past 15 years. Improving both intersections to SPUIs will help tremendously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area