U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 03:29 PM

98 posts, read 96,619 times
Default Snow in Greenville, SC

How often does it snow in Greenville, SC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 03:44 PM

695 posts, read 791,859 times
We had a white Christmas two years ago. We normally get a couple of snows a year. However, if you are a snow lover like me, all you have to do is drive one hour north to see much more.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:39 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,680,231 times
Greenville's average snowfall per year is 4.9 inches (this is based on the new 30 year averages from the National Weather Service, 1981-2010). The old average was 6.3 inches/year.

As noted above, the best pro about living in Greenville/Upstate SC is its proximity to the SC/NC mountains. I live in the city of Greenville and downtown Asheville, NC is a short 75 minutes away. Although Asheville's elevation is only 1200 feet higher than Greenville's, it's climate is really much different. Asheville's average snowfall is more than double Greenville's (11.8 inches) and its summer temps are noticeably cooler. Additionally, 6K foot peaks dot the Asheville surrounds with even cooler temps and much more winter snowfall.

Upstate SC, the Piedmont of NC, and other parts of the mid-Atlantic are subject to "Cold Air Damming" (CAD/"Wedge"). This phenomenon plays a much bigger role in winter weather (than elevation) and can lead to devastating ice storms (the well known 2005 ice storm). This storm lead Duke Power and the City of Greenville to begin burying commercial and residential power lines.

Typically, we have 2-3 weather "events" per year which may average 2 or more inches of snow sometimes mixed with ice. (As noted above) 2010-11's winter was exceptional: it began with a white Christmas (with an inch or two of snow) and 1-2 weeks later 6-9 inches of snow fell over the entire Upstate. School was out for nearly a week.

Greenville and the Upstate are not equipped for rapid snow removal, especially on secondary roads. Snow lingering for days in the Upstate of SC is extremely rare - this is much more common just one hour to the north in the Asheville/Hendersonville area.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:50 PM

509 posts, read 512,361 times
One thing I do remember from our time lived in Greenville back in 2007-08 is everything pretty much shuts down when it snows even if just inch. Greenville does not have much in way of experience or equipment for snow removal or icy roads.

That being said keep in mind most of Greenville roads are very HILLY. Try driving on that! We are used to snow being from the north and know how to handle it but in Greenville the roads are hard to drive in snow and sleet if they do not prepare properly and sand or salt even. Especially being that the roads are all hilly. Not much is level.
Be careful!

Old 12-15-2012, 07:22 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,375,375 times
Not enough Remind me that I said that when I'm stuck in my house, should it snow this year

Old 12-17-2012, 07:17 AM

408 posts, read 490,675 times
Also of note, it didn't snow last winter at all, at least not enough where any snow stuck to the ground. We bought our daughter a sled 2 days after the 6" snow fall in early 2011 and there hasn't been snow on the ground since.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:14 AM

430 posts, read 295,715 times
snow? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Old 12-17-2012, 09:33 AM

61 posts, read 41,574 times
black ice is the main thing you get in greenville. ice storms some bad so bad that tree limbs fall off. i'm not a big fan of snow or shoveling snow myself. i lived in maryland for two years and it would grate on me how the snow drifts would take weeks to melt off.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:20 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,375,375 times
Per the weather channel website, at the time of this post, for the Greenville area...

Thu Dec 27

Rain / Snow Showers

Old 12-18-2012, 02:52 PM

98 posts, read 96,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
We had a white Christmas two years ago. We normally get a couple of snows a year. However, if you are a snow lover like me, all you have to do is drive one hour north to see much more.
Thank you furmanpals! I love snow too. I will definitely go for the trip to the north!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area