Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 10:03 AM

475 posts, read 900,184 times

Advertisements

From what I have gathered over the years ,a liberal church is one that doesn't talk about sin ,Hell and Satan in a way that makes people uncomfortable. I don't seek such a church nor would I run from one. Bring them to Christ,encourage the reading of the Bible and the message will be planted. Bringing them in is the first and most important step.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 02:38 PM

374 posts, read 833,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhtt View Post
From what I have gathered over the years ,a liberal church is one that doesn't talk about sin ,Hell and Satan in a way that makes people uncomfortable. I don't seek such a church nor would I run from one. Bring them to Christ,encourage the reading of the Bible and the message will be planted. Bringing them in is the first and most important step.
This cult thread is disgusting. Moderator lock it....

RIP Sir Hitchens

Old 01-19-2013, 06:42 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant.theophilus View Post
Wow! Many thanks for the wide variety of responses. I am a little confused. Someone started using the term "OP" and I'm really not sure what that is. Sorry. I've looked several times and can't find an antecedent. Did I miss something? Did something get deleted?

I think a liberal progressive church is one that takes the Bible seriously without beating people over the head with it. I like to see freedom of thought with a commitment to Christ. Let's take seriously our faith history and tradition AND think also about how humanity has come to new realizations about our world and its people.
Also check out Brookwood Church between Mauldin / Simpsonville.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:54 PM

141 posts, read 240,571 times
I think Wardendresden expressed it well (at least, from my point of view. Not sure if that matches what the OP was suggesting, but I suspect it pretty much does).

My understanding is that "mainline" churches - such as Lutheran, Episcopal/Anglican, Methodist, etc - will typically provide a more "liberal" experience such as that described above.

Personally, that's where my family & I will start when we move south later this spring and start looking for a church.

Again, good luck in your search OP!

Old 01-20-2013, 03:49 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
In most Protestant denominations, there are liberal as well as conservative "wings" ... for example, in Lutheranism, ELCA parishes tend to be liberal; LCMS (Missouri Synod) and WELS (Wisconsin Synod) tend to be conservative. Best bet is to look at a particular church's website and read their "what we believe" page.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:21 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,095,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Taking the Bible seriously, you cannot have "freedom of thought" if you are truly committed to following (obeying) the King of kings and Lord of lords. No "beating over the head" is necessary to understand that reality.

Nonetheless, what examples of "Theological liberal progressiveness" can you share to help us offer meaningful suggestions? Are there any churches in other parts of the U.S. or elsewhere around the World that fit your criteria?
I tried to rep you it said I had to spread some around. Excellent post, nonetheless.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:50 PM

15 posts, read 32,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant.theophilus View Post
Wow! Many thanks for the wide variety of responses. <snip> I think a liberal progressive church is one that takes the Bible seriously without beating people over the head with it. I like to see freedom of thought with a commitment to Christ. Let's take seriously our faith history and tradition AND think also about how humanity has come to new realizations about our world and its people.
Skyliner wrote elsewhere that "Taking the Bible seriously, you cannot have "freedom of thought" if you are truly committed to following (obeying) the King of kings and Lord of lords. No "beating over the head" is necessary to understand that reality."

You're welcome. Despite what I feared would help prompt drive-by trolling (I took much time trying to be clear), I would like to thank the mods and those posters who have helped keep things on track.

A mod's admonition -- to not hold a religious discussion on a thread which purports to be about finding a "liberal progressive church" -- is well-taken. My aim in writing what I did was to clarify both the OP's (yes, "original poster's") request and not to allow what I took to be at least an unclear statement, if not outright misrepresentation, by a serious poster to stand.

Agreed with Skyliner that speaking what is written is not "beating over the head" to many. No one gets upset by "2+2=4" being repeated (unless one is writing it 1000 times as punishment).

In the sense of trying to make things clearer, I would disagree with the conclusion that committed, traditional believers don't have "freedom of thought" by definition. Although I agree with what I think you mean, I would opine that I have freedom of thought AND freedom of choice. The issue seems to be what is debatable AS TRUTH and what is not. One can ask anything about 2+2 equaling 4 and why "2+2 does not equal 4" is false. The debates - about what things rise to a logical tautology, which do not, and questions of faith, reason and applicability - are all things which we discuss and are free to choose or not.

Such distinctions may appear to be splitting hairs to some, or big things to others. Subsequent posts have, I think, made the OP's request clearer. I would simply suggest that "new realizations" might well include that what one thinks of "church like your great-great-grandparents knew" could very well be the way to go.

It has become clearer that the OP's desired sort of church (for now, lol) will probably not be met in a traditional church committed to literal reading of the Bible and "the faith as delivered to all the saints". I am, however, happier that this thread shall not be a deterrent to other faith-seekers in going to said churches (even some Baptists, lol).

I once dismissed far too much and people I ought to have listened to because of "commonly-held" opinions and words (used) in common parlance at the time. I have simply taken issue here with words and phrases which, to varying degrees, might lead to (strengthen) further deceptions. In order for these threads to help any sincere seekers and posters, they must be more than just more words to further entrench trolling stereotypes under the pretense of helping the OP (and subsequent readers).

I do not judge which posters have which aims (but if the shoe fits...). As for the sincere seeker, the very phenomenon is important to note. Quite often, "new realizations" could well include one's own greater level of awareness, and sometimes this is that there is nothing new under the sun...

Old 01-22-2013, 07:44 AM

1,568 posts, read 3,226,019 times
This...

Welcome Home - St. Andrew's Episcopal Church

St. Peter's Episcopal Church

Christ Church Episcopal | A Joyful Community Sharing Life in Jesus Christ

...drops mic and walks off... : )

Old 01-22-2013, 05:47 PM

374 posts, read 833,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songspirit View Post
Skyliner wrote elsewhere that "Taking the Bible seriously, you cannot have "freedom of thought" if you are truly committed to following (obeying) the King of kings and Lord of lords. No "beating over the head" is necessary to understand that reality."

You're welcome. Despite what I feared would help prompt drive-by trolling (I took much time trying to be clear), I would like to thank the mods and those posters who have helped keep things on track.

A mod's admonition -- to not hold a religious discussion on a thread which purports to be about finding a "liberal progressive church" -- is well-taken. My aim in writing what I did was to clarify both the OP's (yes, "original poster's") request and not to allow what I took to be at least an unclear statement, if not outright misrepresentation, by a serious poster to stand.

Agreed with Skyliner that speaking what is written is not "beating over the head" to many. No one gets upset by "2+2=4" being repeated (unless one is writing it 1000 times as punishment).

In the sense of trying to make things clearer, I would disagree with the conclusion that committed, traditional believers don't have "freedom of thought" by definition. Although I agree with what I think you mean, I would opine that I have freedom of thought AND freedom of choice. The issue seems to be what is debatable AS TRUTH and what is not. One can ask anything about 2+2 equaling 4 and why "2+2 does not equal 4" is false. The debates - about what things rise to a logical tautology, which do not, and questions of faith, reason and applicability - are all things which we discuss and are free to choose or not.

Such distinctions may appear to be splitting hairs to some, or big things to others. Subsequent posts have, I think, made the OP's request clearer. I would simply suggest that "new realizations" might well include that what one thinks of "church like your great-great-grandparents knew" could very well be the way to go.

It has become clearer that the OP's desired sort of church (for now, lol) will probably not be met in a traditional church committed to literal reading of the Bible and "the faith as delivered to all the saints". I am, however, happier that this thread shall not be a deterrent to other faith-seekers in going to said churches (even some Baptists, lol).

I once dismissed far too much and people I ought to have listened to because of "commonly-held" opinions and words (used) in common parlance at the time. I have simply taken issue here with words and phrases which, to varying degrees, might lead to (strengthen) further deceptions. In order for these threads to help any sincere seekers and posters, they must be more than just more words to further entrench trolling stereotypes under the pretense of helping the OP (and subsequent readers).

I do not judge which posters have which aims (but if the shoe fits...). As for the sincere seeker, the very phenomenon is important to note. Quite often, "new realizations" could well include one's own greater level of awareness, and sometimes this is that there is nothing new under the sun...
Nice write up Songspirit. Once again, my point was validated.

Next

Old 01-25-2013, 08:40 PM

475 posts, read 900,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallaboutyou View Post
Nice write up Songspirit. Once again, my point was validated.

Next
Apparently you're in this debate by yourself...I guess that's okay since 'It's all about you'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area