Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 10:49 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,870,460 times

Advertisements

Is there a fantastic garden center around somewhere? I can get basics at Home Depot but I am used to an actual greenhouse/garden center where not only can I get some unusual plants, but I can also get tiny seedlings for making my own hanging baskets as well as starting small in the garden since the grwoing season is long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 11:13 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
I would suggest Country Boy's Garden Center (Greenville and Taylors), South Pleasantburg Nursery (Greenville) and Lichtenfelt Nursuries (Greer).

Old 03-31-2014, 11:14 AM

Thank you! I have driven by the South Pleasantburg one but I didn't know if it was worth visiting.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:21 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
South Pleasantburg Nursery is worth considering if you are on that side of town. Lichtenfelt Nursuries is the largest around and may have more variety.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:47 AM

Thank you. Looks like that one would be good if I wanted to so some serious gardening. I think this year I will stick to flower beds and hanging baskets .

Old 03-31-2014, 12:13 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,293,306 times
I still haven't found a great plant place here. We used to live in Sanford, NC and they had a place there called Big Bloomers that had acres and acres of different plants, most grown on site. They had a variety of sizes, with the smallest ones being relatively cheap. I bought lots and lots of plants there during the 7 years we lived up there.

South Pleasantburg is okay but it reminds me of a place that was once a great nursery but has been neglected a bit. They do have a pretty good selection of shade plants like hostas and heuchera.

I found a lady in Williamston that sells a lot of plants out of her yard at reasonable prices (normally open on Fridays or by appointment). She has an extensive selection of her favorite plants (Hostas, Lenten Rose, ferns) and a limited selection of a lot of other plants. I think she also sells at the Anderson Jockey on the weekends but I avoid that place like the plague. I can give you her phone number if you send me a PM.

The Clemson Botanical Garden will be having their spring plant sale on April 12th. They haven't posted their plant selection yet but they normally have a great selection of plants from common to unusual: Semiannual Plant Sales : Public Service : Clemson University : South Carolina

Old 03-31-2014, 12:25 PM

1,845 posts, read 2,764,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
Thank you! I have driven by the South Pleasantburg one but I didn't know if it was worth visiting.
There's also Martin Nursery , not as large as Lichtenfelt but worth checking out if you aren't far from there.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:39 PM

Thank you everyone; I am close to Martin Nursery a few times each week; my son and I go walking at Lake Conestee. It looks interesting and I will check it out!

Old 04-01-2014, 08:05 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,183,418 times
There are a lot of backyard garden nurseries in the area. There's a guy in Pelzer who has some great plants, andreasonable too. I sometimes trade for plants I want with some growers. I've found there IS a green thumb under all the black!!!

Old 04-01-2014, 10:08 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,293,306 times
What kind of plants does the Pelzer guy sell?

The good thing about the backyard nurseries is they usually grow their own plants. Many "nurseries" buy plants from the same suppliers as the big box stores. They also often sell at good prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area