Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 04:35 PM

115 posts, read 264,647 times

Advertisements

We are fed up with paying such ridiculous prices for cable Tv, and are wondering if anyone has opinions on the various streaming channels? We have Netflix, but wonder what Hulu and similar ones are like? We never watch the local news so that's not an issue, all suggestions are appreciated.......Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 06:07 PM

18 posts, read 37,520 times
We just cut the cord and love it. We spent some up front costs and purchased a Roku and HD antenna for each TV. Over the air in most areas of Greenville you can get NBC, CBS, Fox, CW, and several versions of PBS. North of town you can also pick up ABC.

We use Netflix, accompanied by over the air and the free channels on Roku we're so much happier than with cable.

Other than sports, there is no reason to pay the $75-$150 a month for cable.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:19 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,650,413 times
I have Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon streaming.

The Netflix account I share with other people. Great stuff for tv shows... movies not so much.

Hulu Plus is great to keep up with the newest episodes of shows (the shows post on there the next day).

Amazon has some free streaming with Prime account. Good for renting new movies too.

We don't really miss it. We pay for individual shows if we can't wait and it's not on one of those and it still ends up being cheaper. The worst part is the sports. Some you can stream. Others we go to bars to watch if it is a big enough game. Good luck!

Old 01-21-2013, 06:36 PM

115 posts, read 264,647 times
Thanks for the info, we get sick every month when seeing the $180 bill! I was wondering about the Roku streamers, we had a Sony and it was junk. Some of our tv's already have wifi built in, so only a few streamers would need to be purchased. I never watch sports anymore, so that is a non issue. Hopefully one of the streaming services have cartoon network, otherwise the kids will have a cow lol!

Old 01-21-2013, 06:45 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
In the middle of making the switch ourselves right now (we have a couple of weeks to go before we disconnect).

The first Roku will be here on Wednesday (I'll order a second one once I decide if the wireless version will be sufficient or if we need two wired ones). We have Netflix streaming + DVDs, Amazon Prime, and Hulu Plus, and will purchase a few shows from Amazon when we don't want to wait for them to come out on DVD / Netflix. We'll also be picking up a couple of antennas for the TVs.

For the more technically inclined; we also have a Home Theater PC with Plex installed, and our DVD collection. Plex can access a quite a number of additional channels (similar to Roku private channels), and has a Roku channel so you can forward anything on the PC to the Roku.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones06 View Post
Hopefully one of the streaming services have cartoon network, otherwise the kids will have a cow lol!
You won't find Cartoon Network specifically, but many of the shows are probably available on the various streaming services. The CN exclusive shows are a bit slow to get released (at least that's the way it is with the Adult Swim division of CN).

Old 01-21-2013, 08:59 PM

18 posts, read 37,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bones06 View Post
Thanks for the info, we get sick every month when seeing the $180 bill! I was wondering about the Roku streamers, we had a Sony and it was junk. Some of our tv's already have wifi built in, so only a few streamers would need to be purchased. I never watch sports anymore, so that is a non issue. Hopefully one of the streaming services have cartoon network, otherwise the kids will have a cow lol!
I have a young Kid and Netflix has a ton of shows. Also PBS offers a kids channel over the air.

We love our Roku, took some getting used to and had a few glitches initially but those are all worked out and it's a great box. Highly recommend using Plex. We uploaded our full DVD collection to a external hard drive and access it wirelessly using the Roku and Plex. Very convenient.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:11 AM

745 posts, read 2,233,177 times
If you're not on cable, what are you doing for Internet? DSL? I'm currently on an air card, but have limited data, so streaming would be out of the question. Cable isn't even available where we are building, so we are looking for other options for Internet. We get good OTA TV reception, so we don't need cable for that.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flgargoyle View Post
If you're not on cable, what are you doing for Internet? DSL? I'm currently on an air card, but have limited data, so streaming would be out of the question. Cable isn't even available where we are building, so we are looking for other options for Internet. We get good OTA TV reception, so we don't need cable for that.

We are actually on AT&T U-Verse (internet and TV), but may switch to Charter for internet when everything is said and done. It looks like Charter will install without a contract, so I can bring them in without disconnecting AT&T to verify speed (I'll just be out the $49 installation fee).

We may be in a situation like yours in a couple of years (no wired internet available) and have looked at the various options. We'll probably go to satellite for TV, and something like a Mifi/air card for internet.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:13 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,183,418 times
I have an old Roku. Between the regular free channels and the Roku, there's more than enough to watch out there.

I've never had cable/satellite - if I had to watch my ex go through 700+ channels with that darn remote he would have found it where the sun don't shine! Besides, I think it's crazy to pay the prices they charge. I can understand if you live in an area that gets no reception with the best outside antenna though. My parents have a place where they need it, but they just get basic, nothing fancy.

Just my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area