Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 12:01 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,016,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
Yes, there's not much shopping right there, but it's not far from the Cherrydale shopping area, and the WalMart in Travelers Rest.

There is grocery shopping next to the university @ Publix and the Walmart a few miles away in TR is very nice. Love the Furman/TR area and best part is its a straight shot to DT and to the mountains /Asheville area. By far the area for me. Everywhere else just seemed like everywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 12:07 PM

596 posts, read 937,571 times
it's a straight shot to downtown anywhere in greenville, so don't know how that's a big feature in the furman area in comparison to anywhere else.

i hate the traffic at that intersection at cherrydale, plus the one at pleasantburg/wade hampton.

you won't be going to the mountains that much if you live in greenville, so living in furman area doesn't gain u much. the new walmart on the east side is a nice one too.

the nicest part of the furman area is furman and that is for rich kids.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:17 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,016,803 times
[quote=SwampFox35;28167206]well you can live anywhere in greenville and be close to grocery and pharmacy.

if you don't want to see any blight at all, then you probably don't want to live up around Furman because it is near Berea.

LOL! You have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:24 PM

um, i've lived in greenville twice. i don't think the area around cherrydale is attractive, it's bit of an eyesore. that's an old industrial area of town.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:09 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,793,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
I have seen numerous posts that advise to stay away from the West Side of Greenville.

But in looking at the map I just got, Powdersville, Easley, Travelers Rest and the new Carilion development all seem to be on the West Side.

I realize these are not Greenville but are separate towns, so is it a small area only of West Greenville to avoid?

One of the roads I saw that was of issue was White Horse Rd. which runs up by Furman University, which I think is where Carilion.

Can anyone explain?

Also, what is considered the "East Side"? Is that the area Southeast near Verdae, or up near Taylors/Greer?

Guess what I'm looking for are street boundaries.
It's really hard to generalize about neighborhoods here. Things change quickly, literally block by block.

There is currently a home for sale in Greenville for $8 million that is two blocks away from homes worth $25-50k.

I think this also is one of the reasons that crime here is so bad.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:17 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,759,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
It's really hard to generalize about neighborhoods here. Things change quickly, literally block by block.

There is currently a home for sale in Greenville for $8 million that is two blocks away from homes worth $25-50k.

I think this also is one of the reasons that crime here is so bad.
Crime is bad here? I have lived here all my life and had never heard that. You want crime? Move to Chicago. We live in relative peace in Greenville.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:17 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,245,104 times
Several areas of west Greenville have improved, but there are several areas to avoid. White Horse Road around Anderson Road (SC-81) and West Blue Drive (SC-253) can be troublesome. Cedar Lane Road (SC-183) northwest of West Blue Ridge Drive has several nightclubs with frequent trouble.

Areas west, or northwest, of Greenville to consider are Westcliffe, Berea (specifically Farr's Bridge Road, Hunt's Bridge Road) and Furman.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:15 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,759,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox35 View Post
it's a straight shot to downtown anywhere in greenville, so don't know how that's a big feature in the furman area in comparison to anywhere else.

i hate the traffic at that intersection at cherrydale, plus the one at pleasantburg/wade hampton.

you won't be going to the mountains that much if you live in greenville, so living in furman area doesn't gain u much. the new walmart on the east side is a nice one too.

the nicest part of the furman area is furman and that is for rich kids.
Where do come up with your silly posts? I have lived here my whole life except for two awful years in Columbia. We go to the mountains a lot. We are certainly far from being rich and still managed to send our son to Furman. You don't have to be rich to attend Furman, just smart and willing to work hard. By the way, there are many nice neighborhoods within 5 minutes of Furman, including those living on Paris Mtn., Montebello, Green Valley, and countless other's.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
Where do come up with your silly posts? I have lived here my whole life except for two awful years in Columbia. We go to the mountains a lot. We are certainly far from being rich and still managed to send our son to Furman. You don't have to be rich to attend Furman, just smart and willing to work hard. By the way, there are many nice neighborhoods within 5 minutes of Furman, including those living on Paris Mtn., Montebello, Green Valley, and countless other's.
You are being contentious for no reason, which seems to be a habit with you, brother. You need to work on your people skills some.

Furman is a pricy school. I don't think the education there is any better than CLemson or USC and you will pay much more for it, and I could not have majored in engineering there. If you want to send your kid there, that's cool with me. I don't think kids who don't go to Furman are any less intelligent or lacking in worth ethic. I don' think furman has any major that is near as challenging as mechanical engineering at CLemson, and my parents wouldn't pay for me to go to a private school like that. My point was that adults living in Greenville aren't going to be spending a lot of time on the Furman campus, so i don't know what the benefit is in living near the campus? I guess could walk your dog out there by the lake but other than that, i don't see a a reason to live near the campus. M y point was it's for the kids who go there.

I never said there weren't any nice n'hoods in that area, i specifically mentioned the green valley and the other posh n'hood up by Furman. My point was the campus is near some undesirable n'hoods and an industrial area around Cherrydale which is bit of an eyesore. The woman sounded like she was looking for a posh area and I guarantee you 9 out of 10 women like that will prefer to be out on the Eastside or Five Forks over that area. It's cleaner and probably a little safer. I could live out near Furman, but there isn't a lot of gentrification in that area compared to the east side, and you have to admit it is closer to higher crime areas.

You need to cool your jets some bro. You got on my powdersville thread and tried to pick a fight with me as well and you don't even live out there. stop stalkign me on here looking for fight.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:41 AM

i've also gone on at length about how I like the Pebble Creek area which is closer to Cherrydale than the other areas of town.

My point on the mountains is you don't really gain much by living around Furman unless you are going to the mountains every day or something. It's like maybe 15 minutes longer from the eastside to the mountains. to me, that's a silly reason to live over there. i have no problem with anybody living up that way, i like some aspects of it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area