Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 01:42 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,730,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox35 View Post
i've also gone on at length about how I like the Pebble Creek area which is closer to Cherrydale than the other areas of town.

My point on the mountains is you don't really gain much by living around Furman unless you are going to the mountains every day or something. It's like maybe 15 minutes longer from the eastside to the mountains. to me, that's a silly reason to live over there. i have no problem with anybody living up that way, i like some aspects of it too.
I don't pick fights. I am sorry you take it that way. What I don't do is just let broad statements go unanswered.
Don't get so bothered by those that question a comment. Be ready to defend your posts. Sometimes I say dumb things too. When I do, I welcome the feedback, negative or positive. That is how I learn and better myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 04:07 PM

475 posts, read 896,154 times
I too am looking for as much info as I can before I visit/move there. I often check several news sources (on line) that serve Greenville . It gives me a feel for the area. One of the first things I learned is White Horse Rd is frequently mentioned in crime stories.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:42 PM

170 posts, read 353,884 times
Keep in mind that White Horse Road is miles long. It can go from bad to not so bad pretty quick but it is, for the most part, not so great. (It is mostly pretty up on the Travelers Rest end where it is mostly farmland) I will say that 40 years ago Berea was a thriving part of town. The first McDonalds in Greenville was located there. Mr Big was the first "big box" store I ever went to and it was in Berea. The Welcome Community was, and in parts still is, a really pretty area of town. Some of the areas along the Saluda River are nice. As long as the mills were running those areas were nice and prosperous. Now, not so much. BUT, I have noticed the beginning of change. Housing on that side of town is less expensive and people are buying some if it and fixing it up and living there. I've seen some new businesses. Furman and Greenville have partnered to drag Poinsett Highway up from looking like a mess (it always has looked a mess) and I've noticed some cleaning up going on along that strip. A lot of folks don't want to live on the Eastside. Some folks want to live in a more diverse neighborhood. Not everyone likes Whole Foods or Trader Joes and has to live near the mall. The schools may not be like Eastside or Christ Church but they have dedicated teachers and are working to get better. That area gets painted with the same bad brush all the time, and I think things will swing it's way in the near future. Downtown was great, then not so great, then great again. Wade Hampton was great then not so great. Pleasantburg Drive out to McAlister Square was THE place to be 30 years ago and now, not so much. Woodruff Road and that area is the place to be now but it will go down just like the other areas I mentioned. What is old will eventually be new again. Just my opinion.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:19 PM

596 posts, read 932,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
I don't pick fights. I am sorry you take it that way. What I don't do is just let broad statements go unanswered.
Don't get so bothered by those that question a comment. Be ready to defend your posts. Sometimes I say dumb things too. When I do, I welcome the feedback, negative or positive. That is how I learn and better myself.
You do pick fights, and you mischaracterized what I said, and you seemed defensive for no reason. Nobody was attacking your little area around Furman or Furman itself as a school, but I laugh at this notion you have that students who go there are somehow superior. I'll take my mechanical engineering degree from Clemson over any degree from Furman. How much does Furman cost, 20K a year or something? In my mind that is a ripoff.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:20 PM

684 posts, read 1,178,099 times
Furman tuition for 2012 according to the website is: $41,532. Well worth your soul mortal!

Old 02-10-2013, 09:26 PM

so over 20K a semester! who has that kind of money saved up. LOL

in my mind it is silly to go to a private school like Furman b/c some of the taxes you are forced to pay go to fund public schools like CLemson and USC. so if you go to a private school you basically helped other kids go to the state schools at a discounted price while not reaping the benefit yourself. it would be one thing if Clemson and USC were horrible schools but reality is they are probably better than Furman is with more options to major in like engineering, not to mention better football games.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:02 AM

1,939 posts, read 2,730,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox35 View Post
You do pick fights, and you mischaracterized what I said, and you seemed defensive for no reason. Nobody was attacking your little area around Furman or Furman itself as a school, but I laugh at this notion you have that students who go there are somehow superior. I'll take my mechanical engineering degree from Clemson over any degree from Furman. How much does Furman cost, 20K a year or something? In my mind that is a ripoff.
I never said that students that go to Furman are superior. Never said it. Stop putting words into my mouth. Furman is not for everyone. Neither is Clemson. That is why there are so many colleges to choose from. There are great and bright kids at many colleges, including Greenville Tec. Our son's goal from the third grade was to attend Furman. He made it and we are proud of his accomplishment. By the way, a student from the upstate of S.C. normally does not pay anywhere close to the full costs of attending Furman. We figured it cost us out of pocket about a fourth of the full price for four years. That was good for us as we are not even close to being wealthy. Was $30,000 for a college degree at Furman a ripoff? Absolutely not! It is already paying dividends for him as he uses his degree in the real world.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:11 AM

Quote:
I never said that students that go to Furman are superior. Never said it. Stop putting words into my mouth. Furman is not for everyone. Neither is Clemson. That is why there are so many colleges to choose from. There are great and bright kids at many colleges, including Greenville Tec. Our son's goal from the third grade was to attend Furman. He made it and we are proud of his accomplishment. By the way, a student from the upstate of S.C. normally does not pay anywhere close to the full costs of attending Furman. We figured it cost us out of pocket about a fourth of the full price for four years. That was good for us as we are not even close to being wealthy. Was $30,000 for a college degree at Furman a ripoff? Absolutely not! It is already paying dividends for him as he uses his degree in the real world.
I'll be polite to you when you are polite to me. Maybe you need to go to Furman and take an English class and learn reading comprehension b/c you seem real confused.

I don't want to hear about your kid, or you. I'm not here to talk about your personal life.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:59 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,754,259 times
Quote:
Crime is bad here? I have lived here all my life and had never heard that. You want crime? Move to Chicago. We live in relative peace in Greenville.
I have not lived here all my life, and the crime here is worse than anywhere else I've lived, hands down. I've lived in Austin, Dallas, Denver, DC and a few smaller towns.

There are more murders on the west side of Greenville 9and other crimes that make the nightly news), but plenty of robberies and burglaries here in the "nice" areas of town. I've never personally known so many people affected by crime than I do here. A good friends house was burglarized why they slept. Another friend assaulted at a McDonalds. Another robbed while they pumped gas. My place of business burglarized repeatedly. The neighbor's car was broken into, gps gone. The neighbor on the other side of us's car broken into. The house two doors down. A co-workers garage robbed in broad daylight. The list goes on...

We keep our doors locked at all times, home or not.

When comparing Greenville to other places I've lived, "relative peace" does not come to mind.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:34 AM

1,997 posts, read 4,582,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I have not lived here all my life, and the crime here is worse than anywhere else I've lived, hands down. I've lived in Austin, Dallas, Denver, DC and a few smaller towns.

There are more murders on the west side of Greenville 9and other crimes that make the nightly news), but plenty of robberies and burglaries here in the "nice" areas of town. I've never personally known so many people affected by crime than I do here. A good friends house was burglarized why they slept. Another friend assaulted at a McDonalds. Another robbed while they pumped gas. My place of business burglarized repeatedly. The neighbor's car was broken into, gps gone. The neighbor on the other side of us's car broken into. The house two doors down. A co-workers garage robbed in broad daylight. The list goes on...

We keep our doors locked at all times, home or not.

When comparing Greenville to other places I've lived, "relative peace" does not come to mind.
Like Art123, I live in a "nicer" part of Greenville, quite close to the downtown area. I've never been a victim of crime until I moved to the city of Greenville. Property theft (in our area) seems to have risen greatly over the past 2-3 years. I suppose it's the lousy economy. Both of my vehicles have been broken into - but, they were both unlocked. Two of my closest neighbors have been burglarized in the past 6 months (one house was completely cleaned out over Thanksgiving - even some of the furniture was taken!). I now keep everything locked at all times (and I keep very few valuables at home) - sadly, I'm even installing a security system (in my house) with cameras. I discussed with my wife a possible move to outlying county areas but my she refuses citing the numerous conveniences of downtown Greenville. Oh well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area