Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 07:35 AM

115 posts, read 264,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatp View Post
This rescue (I foster for them so pretty involved in what goes on) posted it on their facebook page that they got this dog at the flea market. The guy wanted to sell him because he wouldn't mount any of his females to breed. He was worthless to this man. I understand different rescues will operate in different ways, so don't assume you know what was going on.
What is the name of the group on facebook, could you pm me the info please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 10:39 AM

843 posts, read 1,431,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bones06 View Post
I appreciate what all rescues do but one cause at a time please, bear baiting is another story! I agree with Saucy, that giving them money to take a dog only reinforces what these scumbags are doing. I don't fault anyone who is trying to help these innocent pets, but padding their pockets in the process only allows them to repeat this awful cycle. I contacted WYFF a few days ago, but no response from them either. I think it's time we start pounding emails down all these news groups throats, eventually someone will hopefully bite. Does anyone from these recuse have any pictures from the Jockey Lot in case I get a response from the news?

But that is the thing. There are already laws in place about keeping bears in captivity, and no permits have been issued in 40 years. It is a lot easier (right now) to get people on animal abuse for laws currently in place than try to enact new laws and enforce them. The people that keep these bears also keep their dogs in horrible conditions, the majority of the time. But then again, hunting dogs aren't seen the same as the pocket dogs, unfortunately.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatp View Post
But that is the thing. There are already laws in place about keeping bears in captivity, and no permits have been issued in 40 years. It is a lot easier (right now) to get people on animal abuse for laws currently in place than try to enact new laws and enforce them. The people that keep these bears also keep their dogs in horrible conditions, the majority of the time. But then again, hunting dogs aren't seen the same as the pocket dogs, unfortunately.
Good point! The laws on the books mean nothing when the government cuts so much funding to law enforcement and animal control agencies. I'm studying law enforcement right now and believe me, most officers are sick to their stomachs when they see this stuff. They know what they see is wrong but there are no funds to properly penalize these monsters that abuse the animals. First and foremost, the county needs to quit promoting this mess and close it down. Once again, I urge everyone to start sending emails, making phone calls, and taking pictures when you can!!!

Old 03-08-2013, 09:25 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
Has anyone been able to get photos of this place yet? If so, sending those in with a story request might be really helpful. I can't believe the news and chamber of commerce hasn't responded yet. Sounds like they are looking the other way for some reason. Someone's hands in someone else's pocket? The flea market owner perhaps?

Old 03-11-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Has anyone been able to get photos of this place yet? If so, sending those in with a story request might be really helpful. I can't believe the news and chamber of commerce hasn't responded yet. Sounds like they are looking the other way for some reason. Someone's hands in someone else's pocket? The flea market owner perhaps?
Still nothing on my end, and have not been able to get back out there! Hoping that they are investigating the issue and thats why there are no replies yet. I'm guessing that the good ole boys network that rules the south is part of the problem!

Old 03-11-2013, 09:07 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
I don't have much to add to what is obviously a deplorable, sad situation for these animals.

I've been involved in a local environmental group, but I think the animal situation around here might be a better use of my time and energy. And this thread has helped convince me of what I probably already knew.

As to the specific situation at the Jockey Lot in Anderson, I will say that when the business I worked for was robbed, one of the Greenville Sheriff Dept. officers suggested we visit the jockey lot for the next few weekends and let them know if we see the stuff that was stolen. So they seem to know this place is sketchy. But when there are animals involved, it's just heartbreaking.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:45 AM

Here is the link to the Anderson County Visitors and Convention Bureau, they openly promote this place as an "attraction". Please call and email them to express your concerns, they can't ignore every call or email!
HOME

Here is a link to Anderson County Animal Control, you can report the abuse when you see it!
Anderson County SC County Animal & Control

Here is a link to the Place this abuse is occurring at.
http://www.jockeylot.com/Contents/jockeylothome.aspx

Last edited by bones06; 03-12-2013 at 08:54 AM..

Old 03-21-2013, 07:00 AM

128 posts, read 220,550 times
I sent the original poster's content to several news agencies and the manager of the jockey lot. Here is the response i got from the jockey lot.

I am shocked to receive this email and the experience you apparently had. I was the manager on duty Saturday and Sunday and I myself walk through the Pet Alley 4 to 5 times a day and did not see this. We require all pet vendors daily and permanent to have food and water. Also I check cages and ages of the animals. We require all adult dogs to have shot records and puppies to be 8 weeks old and weaned from the mother. If I had seen any of this I would have asked them to leave and called animal control with their name and address. We get tags numbers also so that we can assist with Anderson County on matters like this. If you could let me know the booth number or nearest location I would greatly appreciate it so that I can look into this. Due to this complaint, I will let the manager on duty this weekend know about this so that he can be on the lookout. Also if you do come back please call the office so that we can investigate and not let this happen again. We are always here for any questions, comments or concerns. Thank you for your input into this matter.
Sincerely,
Deirdra Horne
Manager
864-224-2027

Old 03-21-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roozle1976 View Post
I sent the original poster's content to several news agencies and the manager of the jockey lot. Here is the response i got from the jockey lot.

I am shocked to receive this email and the experience you apparently had. I was the manager on duty Saturday and Sunday and I myself walk through the Pet Alley 4 to 5 times a day and did not see this. We require all pet vendors daily and permanent to have food and water. Also I check cages and ages of the animals. We require all adult dogs to have shot records and puppies to be 8 weeks old and weaned from the mother. If I had seen any of this I would have asked them to leave and called animal control with their name and address. We get tags numbers also so that we can assist with Anderson County on matters like this. If you could let me know the booth number or nearest location I would greatly appreciate it so that I can look into this. Due to this complaint, I will let the manager on duty this weekend know about this so that he can be on the lookout. Also if you do come back please call the office so that we can investigate and not let this happen again. We are always here for any questions, comments or concerns. Thank you for your input into this matter.
Sincerely,
Deirdra Horne
Manager
864-224-2027
Thank You for helping! I'm glad they responded, but her reply screams of either ignorance or coverup. There is no way that she did not know of the neglect and abuse going on there, especially if they have such strict seller guidelines. I am even more skeptical considering that she "walks" the area 4-5 times per day, all it takes is one walk through there and the offenses are clearly visible. I hope that more groups step forward and put pressure on them to close down. If I did not have a such a full plate of responsibilities, I would be pounding this issue till its heard. I think that every seller there should be required to register with animal control and their "breeding" facilities inspected before being licensed. The conditions at the Jockey lot are disgusting, I cannot even imagine what they are like at the sellers homes/breeding facilities. If anyone has photos, please post them........

Old 05-10-2013, 09:27 AM

18 posts, read 46,494 times
I just learned about this recently (new to the Anderson area). What about a picket? Negative publicity for the Jockey Lot, news story for the local media outlet, and education for people that may have considered buying an animal there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area