Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 04:04 PM

2 posts, read 3,171 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to the Greenville are this summer and need to find a high school and middle school for our 2 boys. We thought we would look at the Riverside High School area, but now are rethinking after reviewing the report cards. Wade Hampton receives an excellent report card, but want to hear from locals about the Seviers Middle School as well and the neighborhoods that attend those schools. Also looking for a school boundary map? We will be renting when we first move and want to make sure we stay in the same area when we find a permanent home, so our boys will not have to change schools twice. This will be a huge adjustment for them as we have lived on the West Coast their entire lives. Anyone out there want to chime in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 05:37 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,829,335 times
I don't teach at either school but have many friends who work at both. With that being said that's not going to give you any parental insight but.........IMO having worked in the district for 9 years now there is nothing that is differential between the two. As far as report cards goes why would you rethink after seeing them? Riverside has been rated Excellent 5 of the last 5 school years while Wade Hampton has only held that honor for 4 years in a row.

Sevier is ok IMO. If you're looking at the Wade Hampton area then you may wanna check out League as well as far as middle schools goes.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:30 PM

99 posts, read 212,807 times
Both are considered 'desirable' schools. We are zoned for Riverside but have a rising freshman going to Wade Hampton. I can tell you at least fifty parents camped out -- literally -- to get a good spot in line the morning WHHS handed out special permission forms.

The biggest official differences between the schools are 1) Wade Hampton is on a block schedule and 2) it has a freshman academy.

Don't know anything about Sevier.

Good luck.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:49 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,829,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJGreer View Post
Both are considered 'desirable' schools. We are zoned for Riverside but have a rising freshman going to Wade Hampton. I can tell you at least fifty parents camped out -- literally -- to get a good spot in line the morning WHHS handed out special permission forms.

The biggest official differences between the schools are 1) Wade Hampton is on a block schedule and 2) it has a freshman academy.

Don't know anything about Sevier.

Good luck.

The WHHS campus is also the sight of the Fine Arts Academy which to me is a draw as well. Not that a student has to attend both but it certainly helps logistically speaking for those kids.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
The WHHS campus is also the sight of the Fine Arts Academy which to me is a draw as well. Not that a student has to attend both but it certainly helps logistically speaking for those kids.
Yes, that is the main reason my son has special permission for WHHS -- he is attending FAC. Of course we wouldn't have pulled him from a 'good' school like RHS just for logistics. We've heard nothing but positives from parents of current WH students and I really do like the concept of a freshman academy. That said I would have been happy to send him to Riverside, too.

Kind of nice when you're picking between two good choices.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:39 PM

1,942 posts, read 2,738,673 times
We loved WHHS and the FAC. Our son finished second in his class, and then went on to graduate in 2010 with high honors at Furman. He now has a good paying job in the field he has studied in. The combination of WHHS and the FAC helped pave the way for the fine young man he is today. WHHS has a hard working principal and the kids take pride in their school work. You will not go wrong sending your boys to Wade Hampton. By the way, I agree with those that suggest checking out League Academy over Sevier. Good luck and enjoy the journey. It goes by way too fast.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:34 AM

21,007 posts, read 27,075,551 times
Do all high schools in the School District of Greenville County have freshmen academies now?

Both Riverside and Wade Hampton are excellent schools. I will also add Eastside to the mix as all three schools are within range of one another.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:28 PM

14 posts, read 25,828 times
Wade Hampton is in the top five out of 15-16 Greenville County High Schools when it comes to high SATs.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Do all high schools in the School District of Greenville County have freshmen academies now?
Riverside apparently does not, or else it simply wasn't mentioned at parents night. Your question made me wonder, though -- I checked the district website and while it lists which high schools follow a block schedule (seven of them do) I couldn't find a similar list of which ones have freshman academies.

Doesn't mean such a list doesn't exist; it just didn't appear in my thirty-second search.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:49 PM

14 posts, read 42,242 times
my daughter went to WHHS on special permission for her entire time. Good things - big heart, pleasant band (she's a flute player), clean, safe. Bad - poor planning in pick up and delivery of children - parents block lanes and prevent others from leaving the line, little to no support from guidance, too much Christian prayer (don't these people realize there are other religions out there that have the right to not have Jesus shoved down their throats in school?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area