U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-21-2014, 06:15 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
13,172 posts, read 11,444,575 times
Reputation: 3317

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvlgal View Post
I'm guessing that it will be Lowes Foods Grocery Stores - Good For You. It's the only other choice that makes sense considering the article said that it's not a brand that would be familiar to the area.
Lowe's Foods recently divested several Charlotte stores to Harris Teeter for some of theirs in other areas in 2012. If they left the Charlotte area, it is highly doubtful they will be opening in the upstate. They are closing stores in areas where Publix announced new locations in North Carolina.

As for a grocer not familiar with the area, I take it specifically the Greer area. This is a point toward Publix which does not have store yet in the City of Greer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-21-2014, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Greenville,SC
180 posts, read 247,641 times
Reputation: 60
it will be interesting to find out who it is. Also, i wonder if they have a site plan already
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2014, 11:37 AM
 
1,616 posts, read 2,003,111 times
Reputation: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvlgal View Post
I'm guessing that it will be Lowes Foods Grocery Stores - Good For You. It's the only other choice that makes sense considering the article said that it's not a brand that would be familiar to the area.

The Harris Teeter acquisition by Kroger will be complete by the end of the month according to the Charlotte newspaper yesterday. I would imagine any game plan for expansion of Harris Teeter will not occur until after that.

This new grocery could be Sprouts Organic Markets which is expanding rapidly this way. They have stores underway in Atlanta and Alabama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2014, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
349 posts, read 591,902 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Lowe's Foods recently divested several Charlotte stores to Harris Teeter for some of theirs in other areas in 2012. If they left the Charlotte area, it is highly doubtful they will be opening in the upstate. They are closing stores in areas where Publix announced new locations in North Carolina.

As for a grocer not familiar with the area, I take it specifically the Greer area. This is a point toward Publix which does not have store yet in the City of Greer.
Publix at Thornblade is only 3 1/2 miles away from the proposed location. I find it hard to believe that this would considered a brand not familiar to the area. I could be wrong about it being Lowe's Foods, but I don't think it's Publix. It's fun to speculate, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2014, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Somewhere, out there in Zone7B
3,416 posts, read 4,499,028 times
Reputation: 2144
I just don't understand why Publix is dragging their heels on finding a location in the Greer area on or off Wade Hampton, there's been talk since I moved here of one coming to the area. And Aldi should have a location around Hwy 14 as well, IMHO. I'm not crazy about Kroger, think they are highly over priced, but welcome any companies that are going to bring jobs and income to the area. Will be interesting to see who it is as well.

I'm going to take a stab at it too....Lowes. My guess is due to the size and seeing this and putting 2 +2 together. Just have to wait to see if it makes 4!

http://www.lowesfoods.com/index.cfm/...eys-island-sc/

Thanks for the heads up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2014, 12:27 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
13,172 posts, read 11,444,575 times
Reputation: 3317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillymiller123 View Post
it will be interesting to find out who it is. Also, i wonder if they have a site plan already
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
The Harris Teeter acquisition by Kroger will be complete by the end of the month according to the Charlotte newspaper yesterday. I would imagine any game plan for expansion of Harris Teeter will not occur until after that.

This new grocery could be Sprouts Organic Markets which is expanding rapidly this way. They have stores underway in Atlanta and Alabama.
A Sprouts Farmer Market exists in the western United States. Is this the same chain or someone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvlgal View Post
Publix at Thornblade is only 3 1/2 miles away from the proposed location. I find it hard to believe that this would considered a brand not familiar to the area. I could be wrong about it being Lowe's Foods, but I don't think it's Publix. It's fun to speculate, though.
"A brand not familiar to the area" can be a deterrent to throw people off.

I do not see the logic of Lowe's Foods ever coming into the upstate. They quickly failed in Asheville after six months in an acquired Harris Teeter. They divested stores in Charlotte to Harris Teeter in 2012 with Publix coming their way.

The population density around Riverside schools has increased in the past decade where it can support a grocery store and pharmacy. Publix usually locates stores every three to four miles in densely populated areas. The size of the store is inline with Publix and fits the area's grocery and pharmacy needs.

I do not know where the rumor of Publix at West Wade Hampton Boulevard and North Buncombe Road stands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2014, 12:47 PM
 
1,616 posts, read 2,003,111 times
Reputation: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
A Sprouts Farmer Market exists in the western United States. Is this the same chain or someone else?



"A brand not familiar to the area" can be a deterrent to throw people off.

I do not see the logic of Lowe's Foods ever coming into the upstate. They quickly failed in Asheville after six months in an acquired Harris Teeter. They divested stores in Charlotte to Harris Teeter in 2012 with Publix coming their way.

The population density around Riverside schools has increased in the past decade where it can support a grocery store and pharmacy. Publix usually locates stores every three to four miles in densely populated areas. The size of the store is inline with Publix and fits the area's grocery and pharmacy needs.

I do not know where the rumor of Publix at West Wade Hampton Boulevard and North Buncombe Road stands.

It is Sprout's Farmers Markets (Sprouts.com). I mistakenly called it "organic markets" They are opening 4 stores in Atlanta this year and planning a SE expansion with the Atl as its hub. I believe their stores are the size of Fresh Markets (25,000-35,0000 SQ feet)

I agree on Lowe's Foods. They would need to build a number of stores in the GSP market to compete and leverage advertising costs. After Food Lions failure why would they attempt it? It's highly competitive now with Ingles, Publix ,BI-LO and Walmart saturating the market. My money is on Publix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2014, 02:29 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
13,172 posts, read 11,444,575 times
Reputation: 3317
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
It is Sprout's Farmers Markets (Sprouts.com). I mistakenly called it "organic markets" They are opening 4 stores in Atlanta this year and planning a SE expansion with the Atl as its hub. I believe their stores are the size of Fresh Markets (25,000-35,0000 SQ feet)

I agree on Lowe's Foods. They would need to build a number of stores in the GSP market to compete and leverage advertising costs. After Food Lions failure why would they attempt it? It's highly competitive now with Ingles, Publix ,BI-LO and Walmart saturating the market. My money is on Publix.
Sprouts Farmer Market would need more stores in Atlanta to be sound before expanding into South Carolina markets.

Publix announces new stores detailing square footage and services provided such as pharmacy and liquor. One store (store 1461, Niceville, Florida) is opening next month with 45,600 square feet and includes pharmacy and liquor departments. Excluding the liquor department, that size store is one that would work in Riverside Crossing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2014, 09:01 AM
 
410 posts, read 574,396 times
Reputation: 294
So is the proposed location near to Hwy 14 (going towards Greer)? I wish they would put a grocery out there. If I go home by way of 85, there is no place to stop for a few items, so I end up in the madness that is Wade Hampton during afternoon rush hour.

I would love to see an accessible Publix. A Lowe's would be awesome as well, but it doesn't sound likely. I frequented Kroger when I lived in Columbia and enjoyed shopping there. They had pretty good sales. I'm still hoping for a Fresh Market but I know that may be unlikely. Though now that they have finished the renovation in Spartanburg I wonder if they are eyeing another location?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2014, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Somewhere, out there in Zone7B
3,416 posts, read 4,499,028 times
Reputation: 2144
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousejunkie View Post
So is the proposed location near to Hwy 14 (going towards Greer)? I wish they would put a grocery out there. If I go home by way of 85, there is no place to stop for a few items, so I end up in the madness that is Wade Hampton during afternoon rush hour.

I would love to see an accessible Publix. A Lowe's would be awesome as well, but it doesn't sound likely. I frequented Kroger when I lived in Columbia and enjoyed shopping there. They had pretty good sales. I'm still hoping for a Fresh Market but I know that may be unlikely. Though now that they have finished the renovation in Spartanburg I wonder if they are eyeing another location?
FM should be eyeing the old Bloom/Food Lion location on WH...that would be a perfect spot for a store like that, IMHO

I see they are redoing the space and façade on the space to the left of Wedgy's Pizza on WH. Any ideas of what's going on over there. Also see that the Kendall Lube place next to the Quality Inn has a sold sticker on the for sale sign that's in front of it. Wonder if it will be anything other than what's obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top