Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 10:26 PM
Ody

Location: Right there, next time out, look I could be right next ;or in front of you
136 posts, read 287,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj28 View Post
The grass doesn't bother me. But the homeless man and woman who alternate weeks at the Haywood rd exit does.
Get-em -up ; Round-em -up ; Move-em out

What corner is G-man430 on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 12:06 PM

9,501 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I couldn't help it. Don't worry though. I bought some goats to send out there over the next few days.
I think Chicago's O'Hare airport stole your goats:

Quote:
In about a month, Arnold said, the goats will be delivered to O'Hare and begin their task of munching away at overgrown greenery. According to the city's request for bids last fall, the animals will be expected to clear about 250 square feet of vegetation per day.
O'Hare airport to get goats this spring - chicagotribune.com

Old 05-13-2013, 05:41 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,843,672 times
A friend of mine told me that this grass is being grown long intentionally because it was just planted after the construction, and they want its root structure to develop before cutting it shorter. Is that accurate?

Old 05-13-2013, 08:21 AM

475 posts, read 900,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
A friend of mine told me that this grass is being grown long intentionally because it was just planted after the construction, and they want its root structure to develop before cutting it shorter. Is that accurate?
That is a common practice.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhtt View Post
That is a common practice.
According to Scotts.com:

Quote:
If you planted seed from bare ground, avoid mowing until the new seedlings have reached a height of 3 or 3 1/2 inches
Maybe SCDOT thought it said 3-4 feet.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:45 AM

826 posts, read 1,125,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
According to Scotts.com:

Maybe SCDOT thought it said 3-4 feet.

A highway median is a different animal than a backyard. The median needs to be able to handle the drainage from the highway and withstand erosion. Not really concerns for the common homeowner

Now I'm not saying the grass needs to be 3 feet tall, (I honestly don't know what it should be) but comparing a highway median to a lawn isn't an apples to apples comparison. I certainly wouldn't use scotts as a reference source if I was tasked with maintaining a highway median.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmike View Post
A highway median is a different animal than a backyard. The median needs to be able to handle the drainage from the highway and withstand erosion. Not really concerns for the common homeowner

Now I'm not saying the grass needs to be 3 feet tall, (I honestly don't know what it should be) but comparing a highway median to a lawn isn't an apples to apples comparison. I certainly wouldn't use scotts as a reference source if I was tasked with maintaining a highway median.
I actually read the 2-3 inch height on several good landscaping websites, some say also 2-3 months depending on the season and climate. I referenced Scotts since it is well known, but the information is the same.

Certainly, anybody with any knowledge of grass cutting would agree that the grass on 385 is too high. If they come and whack it off in one swipe, then all that tall grass will lay on top of the cut grass in big huge clumps. If they go back over and mulch it in, then they may have better results.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:20 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,843,672 times
[IMG] https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BKFOvEVCYAA7JC7.jpg [/IMG]

Here's a picture I took of the grass on 385 just south of Woodruff Road.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:31 AM

475 posts, read 900,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
[IMG] https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BKFOvEVCYAA7JC7.jpg [/IMG]

Here's a picture I took of the grass on 385 just south of Woodruff Road.
LOL! So after 3 weeks of discussion and web research has anyone picked up a telephone? A call to the right person would likely expedite the cut.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:54 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,914 times
Hard to believe anything this silly has now gotten to 4 pages of discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area