Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 11:22 AM

14 posts, read 29,765 times

Advertisements

If you move to Greenville, you will get mugged. Lol !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 11:51 AM

55 posts, read 129,819 times
There are parts of South Carolina that are accepting. Speaking from Columbia, there are about a dozen churches to choose from, a large pride festival (actually sponsored by the city and county), and very involved neighborhoods such as Earlewood with many open people. I have several gay friends and co-workers that fit in just fine. The upstate has traditionally been the more conservative area of the state, but downtown Greenville still has a more subdued gay community (not as familiar with specifics however). Once you leave the urban areas of the state though it may be different.

Personally I love living in a diverse neighborhood (not just orientation, but also race, income level, education, etc.). I don't want my kids to grow up seeing particular traits as outliers or labels.

Last edited by MikeCola; 05-17-2013 at 11:59 AM..

Old 05-17-2013, 02:23 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,355,600 times
Greenville has always been Bible Belt, conservative, and Republican. But perhaps some pockets of progressivism have somewhat started to emerge. Despite a county resolution condemning the homosexual lifestyle. But if you're into the nightlife or social scene, I would consider Asheville, Charlotte, or Atlanta. As Asheville is very gay friendly, and Atlanta and Charlotte are superb southern cities welcoming multiculturalism and diversity. But I suppose Greenville is a nice place for straight people to raise a family.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones06 View Post
If you move to Spartanburg, you probably will get mugged lol!
Spartanburg has a higher crime rate, so I would select Greenville as the more favorable Upstate option. And Greenville has the nicer downtown district.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:09 PM

14 posts, read 29,765 times
The crime rate is no different in Greenville and Spartanburg. Again as I have said on here before just watch the local news. Many crimes in Greenville go un-reported on the local news. Several violent crimes commited in Spartanburg were by Greenvillian's.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:36 PM

411 posts, read 853,320 times
As anti-Spartanburg as I am, you're not going to get mugged there unless you walk into the less salubrious areas i.e. the reformed projects. Or the area around Howard Street. Lol.

Spartanburg actually had a gay pride parade a couple of years ago. I'm not sure if it's still an annual event or not. You would probably be pretty comfortable in the historic neighborhood of Hampton Heights. There is a little more diversity there than Converse Heights and it's within walking distance of downtown if that's your thing.

With Greenville being slightly larger and definitely more progressive, you will feel comfortable there as well. No clue about where to live though. Downtown perhaps or in the Hampton Pinckney neighborhood?

In any case, you shouldn't feel uncomfortable living here if you just want to get on with your life. As another poster suggested, Asheville is an option. It's more out and proud, if you ask me. Well you definitely see more rainbow flags if that's any indication. I once had a resident tell me that there were more conservatives there than liberals, it was just that liberals shouted the loudest. Still not sure about that one though.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:03 PM

Atlanta has always been the capitol of gay nightlife in the Southeast. But Asheville, Greenville, and Charlotte each have their own distinctive appeal depending upon your preference. And if you're not concerned about nightlife, then Greenville is a very nice small city with major city amenities. And the downtown district is very nice, but predominantly caters to the straight crowd.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:35 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,014,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Atlanta has always been the capitol of gay nightlife in the Southeast. But Asheville, Greenville, and Charlotte each have their own distinctive appeal depending upon your preference. And if you're not concerned about nightlife, then Greenville is a very nice small city with major city amenities. And the downtown district is very nice, but predominantly caters to the straight crowd.

So their is no alternative club or pub DT? Sounds like a unique business opportunity for someone vs opening another sports bar, casual dining place etc when there are umpteen others all competing for the same clientel.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:31 AM

231 posts, read 576,722 times
Greenville has had a couple gay bars/clubs but it was dwindled down to mainly just the Stone Castle, which has been around forever. All the ones I've known of have closed unless anyone can think of one besides the Castle that is currently open?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area