Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 01:26 PM

235 posts, read 405,633 times

Advertisements

Our son is attending the new medical school in Greenville beginning in July 2014. We're from Columbia. We have a good deal of familiarity with Greenville, since I grew up in Pickens. But where are the nice places to rent in Greenville? Our son would like to be no more than 10 minutes from the GHS campus off Faris Rd. and preferably closer to the downtown scene. The apartment would need to be in a safe and secure area since he will be coming and going at night frequently during his medical training. Any suggestions on where to start looking would be greatly appreciated! Condos are also a consideration. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 09:52 PM

Default Zero Responses?

Cmon, Greenville, I thought you guys would be more willing to help out a future resident to your fine city! No one has even offered a single response to my question. What's the point of a forum like this if no one is willing to help?

Old 05-21-2013, 04:17 AM

684 posts, read 1,186,542 times
Half the posters here are usually posting about how Greenville is better than SC, and most of us in SC don't trust the government, doctors, insurance, or anyone-with-out-a-concealed-weapon.

But a new med school in Greenville? Cool beans. There are lots of the typical 'great/safe' places, depending on your budget/transportation.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:58 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,537 times
What is your budget? Downtown is very pricey and can be a tough market to get into. The supply is low and the demand is high. There is currently two new apartment projects under construction downtown, one on Rhett St in the West End, and one on McBee in the central business district. They should both be finished by your son's start date. If he doesn't have to be directly downtown, or you'd like to get a better price, i might suggest the currently renovated Bristol Apts on the corner of Faris and Cleveland St. It's right on the Swamp Rabbit Trail and a easy shot to the hospital and downtown. Plus, the trail is awesome if you like to bike or walk/run. There's lots of proposed apartment developments, that may or may not physically exist by the time he moves here, so it's a little difficult to give you a comprehensive list at this time. However, I would definitely suggest being downtown or on the trail.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:12 AM

1,845 posts, read 2,764,139 times
The Brio Condos or The Lofts at Mills Mill would be good locations; I don't know about availability.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:30 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,609,176 times
The above posters gave great answers - your post did not get an immediate response because it's a difficult request.

Any rentals immediately near/in downtown Greenville will most likely be too expensive for a medical student. I second the recommendation re The Bristol - I live very close to those apartments - very nicely renovated - still undergoing construction - very convenient to GMH. Andover Park (another apartment complex - just down Cleveland Street from The Bristol) is considered "sketchy" (this property has got to be worth much more than maintaining those dilapidated apartments). Alternatively, look into small home rentals near the hospital - you might get lucky! (Greenville, SC has one of the worst/tightest rental markets in the country.)

Last edited by drfranklin; 05-21-2013 at 06:17 AM..

Old 05-21-2013, 05:46 AM

170 posts, read 355,970 times
There are lots of condos and apts in the Augusta Road area. Many are private and you just get lucky finding one. There used to be an office that handled all the new residents when they came to the hospital to do their rotations. They had lists of places to rent. That may not exist with the medical school but it's worth trying. There are some old apts, Crossroads, on Cleveland Street, right on ambulance alley, Faris Road. They are being redone now. I do not know the new name but that would be a good start. Look on line for a condo at Riverbend. The best thing to do is drive around and look.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:06 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,609,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNCGirl View Post
There are some old apts, Crossroads, on Cleveland Street, right on ambulance alley, Faris Road. They are being redone now. I do not know the new name but that would be a good start.
This is now The Bristol as noted above. Crossroads...I had forgotten that name - good riddance - property values have now gone up in the immediate area. Now, if someone would update Andover Park...

Old 05-21-2013, 07:43 AM

Default Thank you

My faith in Greenville posters is restored! Thanks to those of you who wrote back, you have given us a good place to start.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:23 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
OP, this is a small town and many of our posters do not view the forum on a daily basis. I don't have any information for you regarding downtown, and is why I didn't respond when I first saw your post. Good luck with your search. I was at GMH yesterday and will be going back later today. I don't remember seeing any "For Rent" signs over the route I took from Mauldin. I will get back to you if I see anything later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area