U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 07:29 AM

5,208 posts, read 7,836,883 times

Advertisements

If this happens.. I moving to the Upstate IF.. it doesnt happen in Columbia....lol

SPARTANBURG: Six SC routes considered for Atlanta-to-Charlotte passenger rail service | State | The State#

Based on the routes provided.... ATL to Charlotte via the upstate is most likely.. though I would love to see Atlanta, Augusta, Columbia and Charlotte connected via passenger rail....

http://dot.ga.gov/travelingingeorgia...StudyArea.aspx

Last edited by Woodlands; 05-30-2013 at 07:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 08:09 AM

5,031 posts, read 5,571,212 times
The route through the GSP area obviously looks like it would be the most cost efficient to build. I would like to see this happen to aleviate future traffic problems.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:42 AM

505 posts, read 694,159 times
My wife and I took trains into Venice each day from about 30 miles out when we went to Italy a few years ago. (we couchsurfed instead of paying for hotels - www.couchsurfing.org ) We loved it. I would love to hop on a train to CLT or ATL instead of driving. Right now, I never go to either city, because I hate the drives. Same for Columbia.

Now, if the whole family is going one place, then driving may still more cost-efficient. One person only could take the train for less than the cost of gas, I think.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:59 AM

5,060 posts, read 7,007,546 times
This will never happen as long as Republicans control the House.

Obama has been pushing for this for years, therefore it's a bad idea and the funding won't ever pass the House.

We're "broke," remember?

If you want highspeed rail, vote Democrat.

If you vote Republican, you obviously understand how this is a huge waste of taxpayer $$$.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:11 AM

655 posts, read 1,084,115 times
I would definitely use this, we rarely go either direction because of traffic and time.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:56 PM

5,208 posts, read 7,836,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post

Obama has been pushing for this for years, therefore it's a bad idea and the funding won't ever pass the House.

We're "broke," remember?

If you vote Republican, you obviously understand how this is a huge waste of taxpayer $$$.

I should have clarified.. that this may not be part of Obamas Highspeed Rail Plan... it seems like its being initiated by the Georgia DOT possibly in partnership with North Carolina DOT.. NCDOT already has a passenger rail service under contract with Amtrak that runs from Charlotte to NYC- Carolinian and from Charlotte to Raleigh only -Piedmont several times a day.. stopping at dozens of towns along the congested I-85 corridor.. I imagine this would be similiar with a train going from ATL to NYC and one maybe exclusively between GA and NC. I think SC would get on Board with it simply because the business interest in the Upstate may DEMAND that they do it. Additionally, they will likely be using existing tracks so the start up cost may be less than new highspeed tracks and since its just going through SC and not terminating.. most of the rolling stock and related equipment cost would be supplied by NC and GA.. SC would just have to put in a few $ since it would likely stop at existing Amtrak stations (depending on the route selected) with only maybe Anderson and Greer having to add one.. Stations should be cheap for those towns.. no more than a bus shelter with an automatic ticket machine and an asphalt platform and maybe a small surface lot for parking all of which can be leased by the City/Town from CSX or Norfolk Southern if they are using existing tracks.. They can build up from there depending on ridership...I think we should keep it simple..to avoid the politic...hell how much money did the state give Southwest or Boeing pr was it all tax breaks?.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:13 PM

4,467 posts, read 4,541,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post

We're "broke," remember?

For once I agree with your post 100%. High speed rail is a colossal waste of taxpayers money and a typical Neo Prog boondoggle. There is zero highspeed rails in the entire nation that are profitable on their own; zero. Look at the mess in the one in California, billions of taxpayer dollars and it will go nowhere. Art is 100% correct, if you want to waste and spend even more of your money, vote democrat.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:14 PM

4,467 posts, read 4,541,514 times
As an aside, I actually like highspeed rail and have used it in several countries, but I believe that the private sector should fund it, not your tax dollars.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:10 PM

745 posts, read 1,818,356 times
It depends upon the infrastructure in the affected cities. If there's decent mass transit, it will work. If there's no way to get around once you get there, what good is it? When I lived in CT, we took the train to NYC- everybody did. Once there, you had your choice of affordable mass transit that went everywhere. I don't know if Charlotte or Atlanta has that (I assume Atlanta does?).

Old 05-30-2013, 03:14 PM

5,060 posts, read 7,007,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I should have clarified.. that this may not be part of Obamas Highspeed Rail Plan... it seems like its being initiated by the Georgia DOT possibly in partnership with North Carolina DOT.. NCDOT already has a passenger rail service under contract with Amtrak that runs from Charlotte to NYC- Carolinian and from Charlotte to Raleigh only -Piedmont several times a day.. stopping at dozens of towns along the congested I-85 corridor.. I imagine this would be similiar with a train going from ATL to NYC and one maybe exclusively between GA and NC. I think SC would get on Board with it simply because the business interest in the Upstate may DEMAND that they do it. Additionally, they will likely be using existing tracks so the start up cost may be less than new highspeed tracks and since its just going through SC and not terminating.. most of the rolling stock and related equipment cost would be supplied by NC and GA.. SC would just have to put in a few $ since it would likely stop at existing Amtrak stations (depending on the route selected) with only maybe Anderson and Greer having to add one.. Stations should be cheap for those towns.. no more than a bus shelter with an automatic ticket machine and an asphalt platform and maybe a small surface lot for parking all of which can be leased by the City/Town from CSX or Norfolk Southern if they are using existing tracks.. They can build up from there depending on ridership...I think we should keep it simple..to avoid the politic...hell how much money did the state give Southwest or Boeing pr was it all tax breaks?.
Whether it's Georgia DOT, SC DOT, or the Federal Rail Administration, the funding is ultimately all the same. It's all interstate traffic and it's all federal money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area