U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 11:26 AM

6 posts, read 13,886 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are an extended family looking very seriously at relocating somewhere right outside of the Greenville Area. We want some pasture-farmland, (at least 20 acres) and yet, still be close enough to a small town i.e.; Fountain Inn, Travelers, Grey Court, etc... We are really tossed up between staying south (Laurens, and Grey Court) or going North up to Travelers Rest. We've read some articles concerning some ..um...racial..unrest, a little conflict in Laurens. We are from Florida, don't care either way about diversity, we are right down the middle, split as a family, some democrat, some rep, some right-wing nuts, some left wing crazies...We have a little of everything, and are very accepting. However, being that we all have school-age children, we do agree we don't want them impressed upon by anything TOO extreme, in either sense. After reading some stats and some articles, we are second-guessing our move into the "deep south".... Without opening a pandoras box, and also, asking everyone to please stay politically/racially polite and sensitive, can anyone give me some insider opinions??? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 11:49 AM

505 posts, read 789,441 times
Unfortunately, the more rural you get in SC, the less accepting the people are (on the average). There are some great people out in the sticks, but there are a lot of bigots, too. Just drive around and try to find the fewest Confederate flags, and go from there.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:57 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,113,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn19 View Post
Hello,
We are really tossed up between staying south (Laurens, and Grey Court) or going North up to Travelers Rest.
Laurens county can be a nice place for that type of life style. I would rate it one notch more rural than the country areas in northern Greenville County. To give you an idea, the Laurens county voters rejected land use zoning rules: it gives you more personal freedom, but it also gives your neighbors more freedom, possibly surprising with their choice.

Socially, the same approach works in either area: leave any preconceived stereotypes behind and get to know the neighbors, neighborhood and local history.

Others may have some specifics on school ratings, but I've known some very gifted children who grew up in Laurens county and weren't restricted at all in their college choices.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:02 PM

5,639 posts, read 5,615,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn19 View Post
Hello,
We are an extended family looking very seriously at relocating somewhere right outside of the Greenville Area. We want some pasture-farmland, (at least 20 acres) and yet, still be close enough to a small town i.e.; Fountain Inn, Travelers, Grey Court, etc... We are really tossed up between staying south (Laurens, and Grey Court) or going North up to Travelers Rest. We've read some articles concerning some ..um...racial..unrest, a little conflict in Laurens. We are from Florida, don't care either way about diversity, we are right down the middle, split as a family, some democrat, some rep, some right-wing nuts, some left wing crazies...We have a little of everything, and are very accepting. However, being that we all have school-age children, we do agree we don't want them impressed upon by anything TOO extreme, in either sense. After reading some stats and some articles, we are second-guessing our move into the "deep south".... Without opening a pandoras box, and also, asking everyone to please stay politically/racially polite and sensitive, can anyone give me some insider opinions??? Thanks in advance.
Deep South? I thought you were thinking about Greenville, SC, not rural Mississippi? I'd politely suggest that you do some more research and come back with more "refined" questions.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:04 PM

5,639 posts, read 5,615,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameAlreadyTaken View Post
Unfortunately, the more rural you get in SC, the less accepting the people are (on the average). There are some great people out in the sticks, but there are a lot of bigots, too. Just drive around and try to find the fewest Confederate flags, and go from there.
There's bigots everywhere. We were Conservative Christians in Los Angeles and the blatant hatred leveled at us was as bad as any other bigotry. It's not where you were raised, but how you were raised.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:13 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,696,178 times
If you're from FL (which is also part of the deep south), you know there are plenty of small towns in the north of the state that are rural, less accepting, and hotbeds of bigotry.

There are also plenty of people in New England and the Midwest and the Pacific Northwest that fit that description too. You'll also find people like this in large cities; the most racist cities I've lived near are Chicago and Boston.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:27 PM

6 posts, read 13,886 times
Part of me doing this thread is "part" of my research! Yes, Florida is South, no doubt. No doubt we have plenty of confederate flags as well. But a whole lot in Florida are north-eastern retired// transplants and not native Floridians. Even so, maybe I should've phrased it that I'm thinking of moving to a more rural "southern area" instead of the "deep south". Sorry about that.
I do realize there are social, racial and political conflicts, awareness and bigotry where EVER you may live in these wonderful 50 states. I guess I was just trying to see if there was even a comparison between the two areas I mentioned; that being, north of Greenville, or South. (and then another comparison of a more rural area than the one I"m in.) I'm in a very suburban area, fairly conservative, and with areas of rural pockets, that I happen to love.
I too, lived in downtown Chicago, and yes, very racially segregated that city is. Oh my, do I have some stories from there. But every area has it's good and bad points. Thank you for honestly responding to my question.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:14 PM

98 posts, read 181,040 times
Northern Greenville County all day. The Blue Ridge, Dark Corner, River Falls areas are beautiful areas, and there's plenty of land available.

And as pointed out, there are racists and bigots everywhere. Even in this thread, there are those who stereotype people who own Confederate flags.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:19 PM

4,539 posts, read 6,392,519 times
Greenville is heavily transplanted. I run into more folks that are not from here than I do that are. Simpsonville is in the southern end of the county, near Laurens county and is very heavily transplanted.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:23 PM

2,384 posts, read 2,136,253 times
I would personally pick Northern Greenville County just for scenery. If you have children in school, in this area, finding the best schools may take priority over all else. There are some outstanding schools in this area. There are also some lousy schools and everything in-between.

When we moved here we first narrowed our search based on which schools were the best. From among the better schools we chose the area best meeting our needs. I needed to commute to work, we wanted to be close to shopping, and I wanted to be in a more rural area and closer to the mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area