Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 02:02 PM

425 posts, read 631,688 times

Advertisements

It seems like a lot of the n'hoods and yards in Greenville don't have a lot of trees. Is that area around Edwards Road off Howell Road the most wooded? I guess Terra Pine as well. I know around Augusta and Cleveland road you got trees but it probably too pricy out there and seems like an older demographic who lives out that way.

My bro's house in Forest Acres has these gigantic towering pine trees in the front yard. it is pretty cool, was interested in something like that in gville. It seems like the trees in Greenville are mostly these round bush like trees, which tend to be ugly in the winter when the leaves fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 03:46 PM

81 posts, read 144,071 times
The older neighborhoods have more trees. Botany Woods, which is near Edwards and Howell, and the neighboring areas all have a good amount of trees.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annica View Post
The older neighborhoods have more trees. Botany Woods, which is near Edwards and Howell, and the neighboring areas all have a good amount of trees.
Yeah it's been awhile since I been thru there but I always liked it in there and that is a convenient location as well. You are also equi-distant from Outback Steakhouse and Texas Roadhouse which are my two favorite chain steakhouses. You definitely got a lot of shade in there, it almost has too many trees.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:41 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,487 times
Unfortunetly the newer neighborhoods are being built on cheap farm land that didn't have trees to begin with. If you have a higher budget you can probably get into the more established areas like augusta road, directly north of downtown, botany woods, or the edward mills area. If you have a smaller budget, maybe go to the native plant society's sales and buy a bunch of saplings. We are trying to find as wooded as we can afford but know in the end we are probably going to have to put more trees in.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:46 PM
B&R

148 posts, read 315,972 times
There are more neighborhoods than those with big trees. Most older areas will have plenty. And they aren't necessarily that expensive either. My own area has mostly 50+ year old houses in good shape and not not as expensive as some of the newer subdivisions. The trees are so thick that you can barely see any other houses from the back yards. One of my neighbors has a back yard full of huge pine trees and two big oaks. Down the road there is one house with three massive tulip trees on the property that have to be 80 to 100 feet tall.

There are dangers with the kind of trees the OP mentioned, however. When we had the ice storm in 2005 our power was out for a week because two of those tall trees fell and took out all the lines as well as completely blocking the road. Luckily no one lost their house. It could happen, too. The kinds of trees that grow so tall and straight often have shallow root systems.

Even small trees can be threat. Another neighbor's tree fell into our back yard three years ago and came within two or three feet of hitting my house. It was only about 40 feet tall. It was still heavy enough to take out the roof if it had fallen even a few degrees to the side.

There is a reason people like those round bushy trees.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&R View Post
There is a reason people like those round bushy trees.
well the main reason is that is really only option in many n'hoods around greenville.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:38 PM

113 posts, read 244,690 times
North Main

Old 06-30-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GvegasProud View Post
North Main
Isn't North Main a pretty old area, I wouldn't want a 1920s house that I would need to fix up. I also think crime could be pretty bad in that area being so near W. Stone Avenue.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:00 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,753,009 times
Gower Estates, Parkers Mill, Dove Tree and Huntington Estates in Greenville is nice and so is Riverwalk in Simpsonville. There is also Poinsettia area in Simpsonville and Devonshire and Sugarcreek in Greer. There's a lot of older nice neighborhoods in the area. These are just a few I can think of off the top of my head.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Gower Estates, Parkers Mill, Dove Tree and Huntington Estates in Greenville is nice and so is Riverwalk in Simpsonville. There is also Poinsettia area in Simpsonville and Devonshire and Sugarcreek in Greer. There's a lot of older nice neighborhoods in the area. These are just a few I can think of off the top of my head.
Yeah I knew about most of those, except Riverwalk and Poinsettia. I think there is actually a newer one right down the road from Poinsettia. For some reason Google maps doesn't have any street views of Riverwalk and Poinsettia.

Most of these going to be more expensive than what I want to spend.

Forester Woods area in Mauldin near 385 is pretty wooded, and some decent ones in the Pebble Creek area as well, plus Green Valley Country Club.

I like Dovetree ok but my sense is the n'hood is overpriced b/c of it's good location b/t woodruff, Pelham, haywood and the interstates. It would be a good place to own a dog b/c of that little lakewalking area out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area