Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 04:52 PM

425 posts, read 631,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Grew up in MIA, and with Publix. The only issue I can personally say is even here in SC, rotation of stock items is something they need to work on. I have some type of knack of always finding either extremely short-dated items, or items that have expired already. Mostly is seems to be in the dairy dept.

I do wish some of the local grocery chains would price match other stores, as Walmart does. If given the variety, one store would definitely get all my business if they did. Even though Walmart does, the new grocery store doesn't carry but 1 flavor of G2 Gatorade, so I have to run somewhere else to get it. I'd much rather just go to one place, I hate running around if I don't need to.

My vote is for Wegmans to come here!!!! Until then, a Publix closer than 7 miles would be an added plus...waiting for the Greer location to be sealed and announced!!!
there is one in Greer out by THornblade. There must be another part of Greer that I don't know about.

It's interesting how Ingles never seems to locate in the more affluent areas. I don' think they got one in the entire Eastside / Five forks area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 06:06 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,205,741 times
As former Publix shopper when we lived in S. Fl and then year in Greenville have to say miss Publix an awful lot!! Yes we agree the prices are a little higher but as long as you know your prices from store to store you can plan things out.

The stores both in S. Florida & Greenville area are both pleasant places to shop. Totally agree with their motto it's a pleasure to shop here.

Stores are always clean, employees always nice and helpful. My man worked at the Weston,Fl store P/T just before we moved back to NY. He loved it was very happy there. Would definitely work there again as they treated him and other/employees the utmost respect. Not seen in many retail stores.

Up here on LI some people compare Pathmark to Publix!!! What nerve they are both so different PM is disgusting, filthy,out of stock on many things...forget rain checks. Publix is a pleasure to shop in they even will help you carry stuff to car and then into car!

LOVE..LOVE..LOVE & miss Publix tremendously!!

Old 06-28-2013, 06:10 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,217,388 times
Publix is a successful super market chain who contributes their growth to their commitments in consistent customer service and product quality. Publix is constantly adding new stores, though not as many in the area, with layouts in various sizes. About 900 out of 1,078 stores have in-store pharmacies.

Publix is moving full steam ahead with growth into North Carolina. All South Carolina stores (excluding Jasper and Beaufort counties) and Augusta, Georgia area stores are in the new Charlotte Division. The first North Carolina stores, in Charlotte, will be opening next year.

I wish Publix had a few more stores in Spartanburg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyricamphibian View Post
As a general rule, I prefer Publix over Bi-Lo and Ingles, although I would shop Ingles more often if the Stallings Rd. or Cherrydale stores - the newest of the lot in the area - were more convenient for me. (The closest Ingles for me is the older store in Mauldin, which doesn't come even close to the standards set by the newer Ingles stores. But I digress.)...We used to have Harris Teeter in the area, too, but that company abandoned SC years ago, for which I continue to be disappointed. (The former HT store on Roper Mtn. Rd. at I-385 is now vacant again, after having served also as a Bi-Lo and then a church.) Ingles, however, has done a pretty good job in recent years of filling the void left by HT - maybe not in the level of class, but at least in the level of selection and quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTiger45 View Post
there is one in Greer out by THornblade. There must be another part of Greer that I don't know about.

It's interesting how Ingles never seems to locate in the more affluent areas. I don' think they got one in the entire Eastside / Five forks area.
Ingle's is a great regional chain. Though they lack more stores in Greenville County, they are dominant elsewhere in the area and have really improved their existing stores. Just about all video departments have been eliminated and replaced with pharmacy departments. Filling up at Ingle's Gas Express and enjoying the in-store Starbucks Coffee are more pluses.

Ingle's will be active in complete rebuilds of existing stores this fall with Mauldin, Powdersville and East Main Street, Spartanburg. New additional stores on the site of old stores have been confirmed for Pearman Dairy Road (SC-28), Anderson, and rumored for State Park Road, Travelers Rest, and Lyman.

Ingle's can definitely extend its presence throughout eastern Greenville County. Pelham Road, Woodruff Road, Wade Hampton Boulevard, Brushy Creek and Old Spartanburg Roads and Laurens Road would be great areas. I do not know if you would count the Greer store opening in 2003 as being on Greenville's east side.

Quote:
Greenville needs a Piggly Wiggly and a Kroger.
Both Piggly Wiggly and Kroger have been in Greenville County before. Piggly Wiggly usually located in smaller stores and could not compete with regional chains like Bi-Lo and Ingle's. Piggly Wiggly closed stores in Blacksburg, Cowpens, Whitmire and Pacolet some years ago creating food deserts.

Kroger had two stores in Anderson and their Welcome store at Haywood Road and Old Woodruff Road, presently Burlington Coat Factory. Kroger divested its interests to Bi-Lo in the late 1980s. Note that Kroger and Bi-Lo/Winn Dixie footprints rarely overlap at the moment. If Kroger looks to reenter South Carolina and North Carolina and enter Florida markets, Bi-Lo and Winn Dixie would be attractive.

Quote:
Bloom sure didn't last long. Don't think I ever seen a grocery store chain disappear that fast.
Bloom was a banner of Food Lion. Their stores do not last very long. Food Lion's Clemson store in Pickens County closed after six months in operation. It is sad to enter a new market, under-utilize your stores to under-serve customers, open too many stores destined to fail and watch them close in five years. I do not expect Food Lion's remaining stores across the upstate to last much longer.

Quote:
I think the super Bi-Los are nice, like that one over in Verdae area. Has Wegman's moved into SC at all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
My vote is for Wegmans to come here!!!! Until then, a Publix closer than 7 miles would be an added plus...waiting for the Greer location to be sealed and announced!!!
Wegman's is too small a chain located far away to open in South Carolina. If they had a couple hundred more stores to their 87 stores, then I could see them expanding.

No new word yet on Publix at North Buncombe Road and West Wade Hampton Boulevard.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Publix is a successful super market chain who contributes their growth to their commitments in consistent customer service and product quality. Publix is constantly adding new stores, though not as many in the area, with layouts in various sizes. About 900 out of 1,078 stores have in-store pharmacies.

Publix is moving full steam ahead with growth into North Carolina. All South Carolina stores (excluding Jasper and Beaufort counties) and Augusta, Georgia area stores are in the new Charlotte Division. The first North Carolina stores, in Charlotte, will be opening next year.

I wish Publix had a few more stores in Spartanburg.

Ingle's is a great regional chain. Though they lack more stores in Greenville County, they are dominant elsewhere in the area and have really improved their existing stores. Just about all video departments have been eliminated and replaced with pharmacy departments. Filling up at Ingle's Gas Express and enjoying the in-store Starbucks Coffee are more pluses.

Ingle's will be active in complete rebuilds of existing stores this fall with Mauldin, Powdersville and East Main Street, Spartanburg. New additional stores on the site of old stores have been confirmed for Pearman Dairy Road (SC-28), Anderson, and rumored for State Park Road, Travelers Rest, and Lyman.

Ingle's can definitely extend its presence throughout eastern Greenville County. Pelham Road, Woodruff Road, Wade Hampton Boulevard, Brushy Creek and Old Spartanburg Roads and Laurens Road would be great areas. I do not know if you would count the Greer store opening in 2003 as being on Greenville's east side.

Both Piggly Wiggly and Kroger have been in Greenville County before. Piggly Wiggly usually located in smaller stores and could not compete with regional chains like Bi-Lo and Ingle's. Piggly Wiggly closed stores in Blacksburg, Cowpens, Whitmire and Pacolet some years ago creating food deserts.

Kroger had two stores in Anderson and their Welcome store at Haywood Road and Old Woodruff Road, presently Burlington Coat Factory. Kroger divested its interests to Bi-Lo in the late 1980s. Note that Kroger and Bi-Lo/Winn Dixie footprints rarely overlap at the moment. If Kroger looks to reenter South Carolina and North Carolina and enter Florida markets, Bi-Lo and Winn Dixie would be attractive.

Bloom was a banner of Food Lion. Their stores do not last very long. Food Lion's Clemson store in Pickens County closed after six months in operation. It is sad to enter a new market, under-utilize your stores to under-serve customers, open too many stores destined to fail and watch them close in five years. I do not expect Food Lion's remaining stores across the upstate to last much longer.

Wegman's is too small a chain located far away to open in South Carolina. If they had a couple hundred more stores to their 87 stores, then I could see them expanding.

No new word yet on Publix at North Buncombe Road and West Wade Hampton Boulevard.
Piggly Wiggly are usually pretty bad but they went all out on the one in Florence at the Florence Mall and I think it is considered the best one there along with the Harris Teeter. There is no Publix in Florence so I guess that helps. Food Lion pretty much dominates the Pee Dee / Florence area with most number of stores. I would equate them to Ingles more or less, just depends on which one you go to.

I know about Bloom, I worked for a small engineering firm in Greenville who designed some of their stores. We took a field trip to that one over on Mauldin Road (I think that is the road). Seemed like an odd area for a store but supposedly that was a a rich person demographic nearby and they try to target Bloom for more affluent areas. I thought the store was pretty attractive so I thought it would do ok and you could get a price scanner thing to take around with you as you shopped although I can see those all being out of commission after 3 months or so.

I think Kroger is real big up in Roanoke Virginia.

Is the Ingles on State Park Road, or actually on Poinsett Highway in Cherrydale shopping center? I don't remember a store on State Park, unless you talking about in TR.

This guy could check out Clemson, as I think Publix just opened a brand new store there over closer to Central.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:40 PM

170 posts, read 355,693 times
The Ingles above Travelers Rest on 276 is wonderful. I don't shop there much but it is clean and well organized. I like it but like the Publix at McBee Station best because I hate walking through a big store to get a few things. The main thing I like about Publix is that their store brands are really good. Just as good at the name brands to me. I am not a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's shopper because I just do not understand the allure.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Piggly Wiggly are usually pretty bad but they went all out on the one in Florence at the Florence Mall and I think it is considered the best one there along with the Harris Teeter. There is no Publix in Florence so I guess that helps. Food Lion pretty much dominates the Pee Dee / Florence area with most number of stores. I would equate them to Ingles more or less, just depends on which one you go to.

I know about Bloom, I worked for a small engineering firm in Greenville who designed some of their stores. We took a field trip to that one over on Mauldin Road (I think that is the road). Seemed like an odd area for a store but supposedly that was a a rich person demographic nearby and they try to target Bloom for more affluent areas. I thought the store was pretty attractive so I thought it would do ok and you could get a price scanner thing to take around with you as you shopped although I can see those all being out of commission after 3 months or so.

I think Kroger is real big up in Roanoke Virginia.

Is the Ingles on State Park Road, or actually on Poinsett Highway in Cherrydale shopping center? I don't remember a store on State Park, unless you talking about in TR.

This guy could check out Clemson, as I think Publix just opened a brand new store there over closer to Central.
I think Food Lion did not do their research thoroughly when they opened Bloom (store #2700) on South Pleasantburg Drive. Yes, you do have better neighborhoods off Augusta Road and Parkins Mill Road, and you have some lower end neighborhoods behind Potomac Avenue and Old Augusta Road. Second, technology frills, going upscale and Food Lion's consistent limitations and failures became a bad mixture. Bloom got rid of the the technology very quickly.

Kroger is very big in Atlanta. They have had the largest presence in the Atlanta market, which may have been surpassed by Publix now.

I specified the old Ingle's on State Park Road at US-25 in Travelers Rest where Hardee's is. This store closed in late 2001 or early 2002.

Publix store #1379, Gateway Village, opened two weeks ago in Clemson on Tiger Boulevard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNCGirl View Post
The Ingles above Travelers Rest on 276 is wonderful. I don't shop there much but it is clean and well organized. I like it but like the Publix at McBee Station best because I hate walking through a big store to get a few things. The main thing I like about Publix is that their store brands are really good. Just as good at the name brands to me. I am not a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's shopper because I just do not understand the allure.
That Ingle's is a nice store. It is the last Ingle's in Greenville County to have a video department. It will be replaced by a pharmacy this fall.

I would like to see more Publix stores like McBee Station opening in the area. You can still have the necessities of a supermarket without much space.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:16 PM

The Pig on the IOP connector in Mt Pleasent is great. Has a great deli and wine shop! The other Pig's I have been in, not so much!

Old 06-28-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNCGirl View Post
The Pig on the IOP connector in Mt Pleasent is great. Has a great deli and wine shop! The other Pig's I have been in, not so much!
Is Piggly Wiggly on US-221/SC-72 near Lake Greenwood just as nice?

Old 06-28-2013, 07:44 PM

Don't go to Greenwood so I don't know. All the Pig's I have ever been in are in the lower part of the state except for the one in Tennessee I went to while in college. They always reminded me of a Red & White.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Is Piggly Wiggly on US-221/SC-72 near Lake Greenwood just as nice?
I would think that one is pretty nice just based on the looks. With the Pig, you can really tell which ones are horrible by how the store looks on outside.

It's kind of crazy how far Lake Greenwood is from Greenwood. I guess i always knew that but looked on the map and there is a lot of separation there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area