Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2013, 08:29 PM

8 posts, read 14,651 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all, I'm a teacher in NY who is looking to get the heck out of here before the whole state sinks into oblivion. Here's a little bit of what I'm looking for in a place to live.

1. Closeness to nature and outdoor activities like hiking, backpacking, canoeing and fishing.
2. Chill people age 25-35.
3. A decent school where I can teach (special ed or reading)
4. Good local live music.
5. A sense of community and honesty.

Greenville seems like the place that fits those criteria. If not, could y'all recommend a place that would meet that? The South is my first preference but have been looking at west as well. Any advice is welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 09:40 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,544,648 times
You're gonna need to provide more details than that because you just painted your preferences with a relatively thick brush.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:15 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,661,092 times
Greenville doesn't have a really good live music scene.

You might try Austin, Texas. They also have a large university in the town with lots of the younger people you wish to hang with. Greenville has its fair share of fogies.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:55 AM

99 posts, read 168,034 times
Greenville isn't bad. But having been here a while now I think it might be a tough city for singles your age. But what do I know.

Asheville or Chattanooga come to mind.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:55 AM

411 posts, read 853,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basspro76 View Post
Hey y'all, I'm a teacher in NY who is looking to get the heck out of here before the whole state sinks into oblivion. Here's a little bit of what I'm looking for in a place to live.

1. Closeness to nature and outdoor activities like hiking, backpacking, canoeing and fishing.

Greenville seems like the place that fits those criteria. If not, could y'all recommend a place that would meet that? The South is my first preference but have been looking at west as well. Any advice is welcome.
1. You'll find many opportunities to commune with nature here. Lol. A 30 minute drive will get you into the lower Blue Ridge area with a plethora of state parks for hiking/backpacking. Of course we have a ton of lakes around here for fishing too. That will take you about 30 minutes as well to get to Hartwell or Jocassee/Keowee.

2. There are plenty of young professionals in this town. You just need to know where to look. There is a good bar scene, but it seems to attract more d*uchebag types in my opinion. I find myself very happy that I'm married already. Haha. I definitely use Meetup.com to get with some like minded folks once you move.

3. We have plenty of decent/good schools in the area. Check with CERRA to see about job opportunities throughout the state. They might be scarce right now since school just started. Greenville County School District oversees all of the schools in the county. Just remember, no unions, lower pay. Of course, the cost of living will be lower than NY.

4. I think there are plenty of opportunities to hear good, local, live music. No, it's not Austin, but there are not many places like that, IMO. During the warm months, there is live music in downtown Greenville on Thursday and Friday night plus a lot of small venues. You will get some well-known acts coming through the Handlebar (Fitz and the Tantrums, Silversun Pickups) and arena type acts coming through the BI-LO Center and Charter Amphitheater in Simpsonville (The Black Keys, Mumford & Sons).

5. A sense of community and honesty. Well, Greenville is growing and the larger a city grows, then the less sense of community overall, IMO. You will find people who share your views and causes, and will most likely gain a sense of community from that. For example, we have a strong running community in this area. Honesty, well I don't know if you mean 'being honest' or the sense that people are authentic. This is still the Bible Belt, so I think overall, people are honest. We always hear about the bad apples though, so take that with a grain of salt. Anywhere you go you'll find people who try to be something they are not, I wouldn't say that there is an overwhelming population of people who are that way.

In any case, pay us a visit and see if you think you can fit in.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:38 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,848,274 times
Quote:

speaking as a 32 year old single male teacher don't move here.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:04 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,544,648 times
I agree with buckeye. Being a teacher isn't necessarily the worst career to try and work on in SC (though it's certainly not the best place to try out either), but to be a single male, that's going to be a challenge. Even if you weren't actively looking to date or hook up (which you'll notice to be inconsistant and challenging), but finding friends to hang out with will be difficult because right now the crowd over all is generally above or below your age range and married/ married with kids.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:14 PM

7 posts, read 93,759 times
Quote:

I'm a 30 year old single male as well, and about to move back to Greenville. I've lived in the area before, and most of those criteria I think you can find here. I'm interested in a lot of the same things as you, outdoors, community, etc., and I decided it's worth moving back. I'm not gonna say Greenville is the best place in the country for people our age by any means, but the area is growing and I know quite a few people here that are in their 20s and 30s. It might be hard at first to find the right ones that will be your close friends, but I think it's an affordable place to live with a lot going for it, and it's convenient to a lot of other nearby cities and the beach if you want to get away for a day or a weekend. I would suggest living somewhere near downtown where the action is, though, as I lived in a suburb before and really didn't like it. If you have any other questions feel free to ask, and if I can help I will.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:50 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,848,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
I agree with buckeye. Being a teacher isn't necessarily the worst career to try and work on in SC (though it's certainly not the best place to try out either), but to be a single male, that's going to be a challenge. Even if you weren't actively looking to date or hook up (which you'll notice to be inconsistant and challenging), but finding friends to hang out with will be difficult because right now the crowd over all is generally above or below your age range and married/ married with kids.

i should have prefaced by saying if it weren't for my job i'd be gone from good ole greenville. teaching and coaching is actually the only reason i stay here. one of the things people forget is that greenville has a heavy manufacturing / engineering / military influence. who occupies those jobs 9 out of 10 times? other males. a single female in her 20s can sit back and pick from the crop as she sees fit. there is a gross imbalance here gender wise. you also don't find nearly the same college educated single crowd here as you would in columbia or charleston. woman i teach with her husband works for GE and is put in charge of mentoring new hires and says his biggest obstacle to keeping young out of college men is the fact that greenville has a horrible singles scene for men. greenville to me is a great place to raise a family but a horrible place to date if you're a guy.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:43 PM

684 posts, read 1,185,851 times

Sure, if you don't want 2,3,4,5.

Like above, you'll find a lot of chill guys.

Check the national state school rankings and see which are hiring!

Some stuff downtown greenville, you like country?

If you are a certain skin color and religion, sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area