U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 04:41 PM

61 posts, read 187,781 times

Advertisements

just wondering how many people here have been told by blue cross that you must give your blood and that if you don`t they will cancel your coverage? Anyone know good lawyers for this in the Greenville area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 05:12 PM

791 posts, read 1,105,956 times
Do you have a surgery upcoming that they are asking this of you?

Old 08-28-2013, 07:11 PM

61 posts, read 187,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatp View Post
Do you have a surgery upcoming that they are asking this of you?
definitely not. they are now making this a requirement to keep insurance. They also want you to pay an extra $70 a week to keep the family insurance you pay for if your spouse is eligable for insurance elsewhere. To me that`s the whole point of having `family` insurance because you can`t afford to pay 2 insurance premiums.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:00 AM

684 posts, read 951,109 times
You talking about an employer mandated blood test to see how unhealthy their members are? Or just some fee they charge for spouses who opt out of their own insurance to be covered by yours?

Old 08-29-2013, 07:44 AM

131 posts, read 173,629 times
I have to give a blood test to get life insurance so it would only make sense to have to do it for health insurance too. Otherwise, you could be very unhealthy and get insurance at the same rate as me while I am healthy (i am not saying you are unhealthy). That would not be fair now would it?

As far as the additional fee to cover your family if they can get insurance by their employer, that is being considered by more and more companies. I am on my wife's insurance right now and her employer is considering doing this. Family insurance has always been more to cover your spouse who does not work and the kids than to cover the spouse who does work. I will not be happy if we have to have separate policies or pay extra but they don't have to offer spouses insurance at all.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:15 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,001,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenvilleEngineer View Post
I have to give a blood test to get life insurance so it would only make sense to have to do it for health insurance too. Otherwise, you could be very unhealthy and get insurance at the same rate as me while I am healthy (i am not saying you are unhealthy). That would not be fair now would it?
It depends on whether you view insurance as 'shared risk' or a 'medical equalized payment plan'.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:20 AM

271 posts, read 635,909 times
We have BCBS through DH's employer and we've never been asked to give blood to keep the insurance. We've used it this year as well, ie filed claims and no bloodwork required. I guess this is a personal paid program you are referring to, versus employer-sponsored?

Old 08-29-2013, 11:15 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,724,239 times
What I said earlier about the new health care plan was deleted because someone named YAC considered it as been political and trolling, whatever that means. Believe me, I am all for change in health care. My point is, things are changing and will change drastically beginning in January. That is fact, not a political statement. Get ready, change (positive and negative) is coming.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:24 PM

410 posts, read 667,664 times
I've had BCBS for five years now--first as a state employee and now as an employee of an organization associated with the state. I've never had to give a blood test. Nor has my hubby who has been on my insurance for most of the time.

There are some extra charges such as a fee for smokers.

They don't charge a fee so to speak, but my current employer will fully cover the cost of insurance for an employee (i.e. the employee only pays no premiums) but if you have a dependent such as a child or spouse, you are responsible for the whole cost of the premiums.

If BCBS is requiring the test, then have you recently changed from another insurance provider that may have informed BCBS of your prior medical history?

If not, I would make sure it is not your employer who is mandating this stuff. I believe my stepdad is on BCBS along with my mom and his work has mandated increases because too many employees were having surgery. That's right--let's penalize everyone because someone else was unhealthy or just plain unlucky. So employers can do whatever they want, apparently.

I don't mind saying that we didn't get the right kind of reform a few years ago. The insurance companies are the ones that need to be taken to task, not those of us who are paying for privilege. But it's unlikely we'll ever see anything of that nature unless the lobbyists are kicked out of DC.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:12 PM

8,257 posts, read 6,081,396 times
I know that when I was working with JM Smith, they were self-insured, and they required me to do a complete physical (Including CBC) and if I didn't, they wouldn't provide health insurance for me.

It didn't affect premiums at all, simply because I paid no premiums.. 100% covered by employer.. BUT.. What they were checking for was high blood pressure, diabetes, and things like that to be proactive.. It's MUCH cheaper for them to pay for your monthly supply of BP medicine than it is to pay for your care from a cerebral hemorrhage caused by high blood pressure. MOST times.. The insurer/company never knows the results of the test.. That's still between you and your doctor.

Whether the OP is purchasing insurance direct, or whether this is a requirement of the employer... That's what I haven't figured out.. I'd say it's a little stranger if BCBS themselves are requiring it than if it's the employer requiring it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area