Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2013, 08:39 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,825,582 times

Advertisements

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada check here
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 11:38 AM

723 posts, read 1,149,409 times
I bought gas yesterday at the Spinx on East Butler Rd. at I-385, which station is listed on the "pure-gas.org" web site as selling ethanol-free fuel. Although there were no signs indicating that the fuel was ethanol-free, there also were no labels identifying that the pumps dispensed fuel containing ethanol. Such labeling is required by South Carolina state law if the fuel contains 1.5% ethanol or more. About a dozen Spinx stations around the Greenville area sell gasoline without ethanol, as reported by users of the "pure-gas.org" web site. Apparently you have to just watch for the presence or absence of the required label.

By the way, I did notice that my truck ran better - or was it just my imagination?

Old 09-17-2013, 12:18 PM

285 posts, read 457,202 times
You can go to Locations and check for the ethanol free locations.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:32 PM

55 posts, read 129,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyricamphibian View Post
By the way, I did notice that my truck ran better - or was it just my imagination?
Ethanol-free gas will give slightly better MPG, around 1-3%. I always use it in my lawn equipment because that tends to sit around for awhile potentially absorbing water, and the small engines are more finicky.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:20 PM

672 posts, read 1,417,662 times
I may be mistaken, but I think I've seen ethanol-free premium at the Yogi Food Store on Laurens Rd in Mauldin (Next to Four Seasons restaurant.) Personally, standard Spinx 87 is all that I put in my FZ6 and it runs great, though I do ride it quite often, year round. For my car, I only use Spinx 93 or Shell 93 since my datalogs prove that those are of extremely good quality. I've never tried the pure gas in any of my vehicles; I'm curious to see if I notice a difference.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:09 AM

285 posts, read 457,202 times
The Spinx at Laurens/Washington has the Premium non-Ethanol. This morning it was $3.69.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:25 AM

31 posts, read 80,953 times
The Garden Spot at State Park Rd/ Altamont Rd. has premium ethanol-free.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:45 AM

723 posts, read 1,149,409 times
I stopped yesterday at the Spinx on Woodruff at Tanner Rd. Only the lowest grade (87 octane) had the state-mandated label identifying it as having up to 10% ethanol. The mid-grade (93 octane) and premium were Spinx's PureMax Ethanol Free fuel. The premium grade was NOT the PureMax Ethanol Free with HiTEC 6590C, which is found at only a handful of selected Spinx stations in the area - a total of just three in fact - including the one mentioned by "mattreddy" above.

(HiTEC 6590C is a synthetic gasoline performance additive "designed to meet the challenges of direct injection engine technology, while continuing to deliver excellent performance in the traditional port fuel injection platform.." It supposedly works by delivering "powerful keep-clean and clean-up performance at cost effective treat rates." In other words, it's a detergent.)

I'm happy that Spinx makes ethanol-free fuels available at so many stations in the Upstate, but I wish the company didn't have differing, and thereby confusing, mixes of fuel products at different stores.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:57 PM

17,573 posts, read 15,243,114 times
You really have to pay attention to the pumps.. I've noticed what you have.. You can go to a station, and the 87 is listed as "May contain up to 10% ethanol", but the 89 and 93 don't have that notice.

What is strange about that to me.. Most of those places, the 89 octane is only 10-15 cents more.. Now, if you go to a place that sells octane-free 87, that averages about 40 cents more than standard 87 octane with 10% ethanol

So.. From a pricing standpoint, if the 89 octane is TRULY ethanol-free.. Shouldn't it cost roughly 50-60 cents more per gallon than the 87 octane with 10% ethanol? Are they just marking up the 87 ethanol free massively? Seems unlikely to me..

BTW.. For anyone with a flex-fuel vehicle.. If you want something to make you want to just throw up into your mouth a little bit.. Couple of years ago, I was visiting my dad in Iowa.. The 85% ethanol fuel that sells for.. About 10-20 cents less per gallon here than regular was selling for $2/gallon there.. Vs $3.30 or so at the time for regular.

Of course.. Iowa DOES have quite a bit of corn to make the ethanol from..

Old 09-21-2013, 06:50 PM

672 posts, read 1,417,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
You really have to pay attention to the pumps.. I've noticed what you have.. You can go to a station, and the 87 is listed as "May contain up to 10% ethanol", but the 89 and 93 don't have that notice.

What is strange about that to me.. Most of those places, the 89 octane is only 10-15 cents more.. Now, if you go to a place that sells octane-free 87, that averages about 40 cents more than standard 87 octane with 10% ethanol

So.. From a pricing standpoint, if the 89 octane is TRULY ethanol-free.. Shouldn't it cost roughly 50-60 cents more per gallon than the 87 octane with 10% ethanol? Are they just marking up the 87 ethanol free massively? Seems unlikely to me..

BTW.. For anyone with a flex-fuel vehicle.. If you want something to make you want to just throw up into your mouth a little bit.. Couple of years ago, I was visiting my dad in Iowa.. The 85% ethanol fuel that sells for.. About 10-20 cents less per gallon here than regular was selling for $2/gallon there.. Vs $3.30 or so at the time for regular.

Of course.. Iowa DOES have quite a bit of corn to make the ethanol from..
Don't forget, however, that one will suffer a noticeable drop in MPG with E85 fuel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area